The ASOIAF wiki thread

Onion Knight

2 hours ago, direpupy said:

I have a question, a page got made recently on the Braavosi language where it says the language has loanwords from Valyrian. But is was always under impression that its a dialect of Valyrian like the languages of the other free cities. @Ran am i wrong and is it a seperate language like the page says?

I agree, it seems all the Free Cities have a Valyrian base. It would but be surprising if it was the lingua franca of the escaped slaves who founded Braavos, and then it did have a high amount of non-Valyrian loanwords.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

I agree, it seems all the Free Cities have a Valyrian base. It would but be surprising if it was the lingua franca of the escaped slaves who founded Braavos, and then it did have a high amount of non-Valyrian loanwords.

Thanks, now that i know that its not just me i can make some changes to the page.

The founder of House Stark is currently at "Brandon Stark (Builder)", but has GRRM ever called him by that name? From what I can tell, he's referred to as "Bran the Builder" or "Brandon the Builder". Lann is at "Lann the Clever" instead of "Lann Lannister", for instance, and Durran is at "Durran Godsgrief" instead of "Durran Durrandon (Godsgrief)".

Also, we should mention the "Age of the Hundred Kingdoms" in the "Timeline of major events", right?

14 hours ago, Nittanian said:

The founder of House Stark is currently at "Brandon Stark (Builder)", but has GRRM ever called him by that name? From what I can tell, he's referred to as "Bran the Builder" or "Brandon the Builder". Lann is at "Lann the Clever" instead of "Lann Lannister", for instance, and Durran is at "Durran Godsgrief" instead of "Durran Durrandon (Godsgrief)".

I think all pages should be titled by their most commonly used name. For example we have like 3 mentions of "Aegon I Targaryen" in the books but more than 60 mentions of "Aegon the Conqueror."

We already do this on some pages (e.g. Greenbeard [32] / Pello of Tyrosh [1]). So I wonder, why not also nobles with epithets and nicknames?

19 minutes ago, Thomaerys Velaryon said:

@Ran Is there a reason for the Images portal to not be included in the Community portal like the rest of portal pages (Chapter Summaries, Characters, Houses of Westeros, Timeline of major events, Geography, Culture, TV Show) ?

No particular reason, it's just what was set up at the time. Do we really think there's an interest in that, though?

According to The Citadel Joffrey's coat of arms is Lannister and Baratheon, in that order, thus the Lannister side is in dexter while the Baratheon side is in sinister. However the COA on the wiki has been the opposite for years, and I'm wondering whether that's because of contradicting information in the books or if it's simply an error influenced by the TV show flipping it.

I am also wondering if we should opt for a different design for the Targaryen dragon, since the one we use now is the one from the TV series, designed without the "breathing flames" part in mind (the flames were omitted in the show), so the flames that have been added to it are so small you can't see them when the image is scaled down to fit lists and infobox headers, and that's how it's displayed the vast majority of the time.

4 hours ago, Potsk said:

According to The Citadel Joffrey's coat of arms is Lannister and Baratheon, in that order, thus the Lannister side is in dexter while the Baratheon side is in sinister. However the COA on the wiki has been the opposite for years, and I'm wondering whether that's because of contradicting information in the books or if it's simply an error influenced by the TV show flipping it.

If i look at how the how the arms are displayed on Joffrey's page, its they opposite of the COA you link to in your post. Are you sure you have the correct COA because on the page it looks exactly like the description Lannister first and Baratheon second.

And its the same on the "House Baratheon of King's Landing" page Lannister first and Baratheon second, I really think you are looking at a old and no longer used COA.

Edited by direpupy

4 minutes ago, direpupy said:

If i look at how the how the arms are displayed on Joffrey's page, its they opposite of the COA you link to in your post. Are you sure you have the correct COA because on the page it looks exactly like the description Lannister first and Baratheon second.

And its the same on the "House Baratheon of King's Landing" page Lannister first and Baratheon second, I really think you are looking at a old and no longer used COA.

That's because I changed it earlier. I'm just double checking now.

1 hour ago, Potsk said:

That's because I changed it earlier. I'm just double checking now.

Looks good and it follows the description so i would not worry about it, all the book information i know about has the Lannister lion first.

Also regarding Brandon the Builder, his article uses the monarch infobox and lists him as as a King of Winter. His descendants were the Kings of Winter, but is he himself ever referred to as a king? 

AGOT Appendix

The Starks trace their descent from Brandon the Builder and the ancient Kings of Winter. For thousands of years they ruled from Winterfell as Kings in the North, until Torrhen Stark, the King Who Knelt, chose to swear fealty to Aegon the Dragon rather than give battle. Their blazon is a grey direwolf on an ice-white field. The Stark words are Winter Is Coming.

TWOIAF The North: Winterfell

The greatest castle of the North is Winterfell, the seat of the Starks since the Dawn Age [sic instead of the Age of Heroes?]. Legend says that Brandon the Builder raised Winterfell after the generation-long winter known as the Long Night to become the stronghold of his descendants, the Kings of Winter. As Brandon the Builder is connected with an improbable number of great works (Storm's End and the Wall, to name but two prominent examples) over a span of numerous lifetimes, the tales have likely turned some ancient king, or a number of different kings of House Stark (for there have been many Brandons in the long reign of that family) into something more legendary.

On 11/1/2017 at 7:58 AM, direpupy said:

And then there is the fact that Nestor changed his sigil when he became Lord of The Gates of the Moon, why would he do that if he already belonged to a established cadet branch with its own lands, you would think they would already have there own sigil to reflect there status as Lords separate from the main branch.

Exactly!

If we consider the name "Clegane's Keep" semi-canon because it appears on maps from HBO's Game of Thrones, what about newly named characters in House of the Dragon such as Simon Staunton, Allun Caswell, Reggio Haratis, Hobert Hightower, Beric Dondarrion, and Lucas Blackwood? Or the alternate name for the Kingdom of the Ifequevron, "the Footprint," which also appears on HBO maps?

On 1/17/2024 at 9:32 PM, Nittanian said:

Also regarding Brandon the Builder, his article uses the monarch infobox and lists him as as a King of Winter. His descendants were the Kings of Winter, but is he himself ever referred to as a king?

This might imply it:

Those old histories are full of kings who reigned for hundreds of years, and knights riding around a thousand years before there were knights. You know the tales, Brandon the Builder, Symeon Star-Eyes, Night's King ...

(AFFC Samwell I / ADWD Jon II)

10 hours ago, Potsk said:

If we consider the name "Clegane's Keep" semi-canon because it appears on maps from HBO's Game of Thrones, what about newly named characters in House of the Dragon such as Simon Staunton, Allun Caswell, Reggio Haratis, Hobert Hightower, Beric Dondarrion, and Lucas Blackwood? Or the alternate name for the Kingdom of the Ifequevron, "the Footprint," which also appears on HBO maps?

'Semi-canon' refers to facts regarding the Ice and Fire books which can be traced back to GRRM himself, but haven't been published in a book of GRRM yet. So as long as GRRM doesn't say that these names are book names or anyone from the show says they got the names from GRRM, we can't consider them semi-canon. This also applies to places like Clegane's Keep. I guess the name has been used because it's similar enough to what we would have come up with if there hadn't been a show name.

1 hour ago, The Wondering Wolf said:

In the 'Appearance and Character' section of Daemon Targaryen, artwork is used to source his looks. As I understood, the artwork is not canon and thus can't be used as reference.

@Thomaerys Velaryon Maybe also remove the statement about the Targaryen dragon on his surcoat.

Where do you see artwork as a source? The source for his looks is "The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys I". I do see a "see also" link but thats just a link to the page with artwork depicting Daemon, its not a source nor is it used as one.

Edited by direpupy

Just now, direpupy said:

Where do you see artwork as a source? The source for his looks is "The World of Ice & Fire, The Targaryen Kings: Viserys". I do see a "see also" link but thats just a link to the page with artwork depicting Daemon, its not a source nor is it used as one.

@Thomaerys Velaryon has already changed the first part. But the part with the dragon on his surcoat is not based on the text, as well.