BSG Thread #12 (or 13)

Werthead

It shows that you can accept almost anything as long as you are willing to fill in all the blanks the writers left with explanations that work for you. Doesn't take responsibility off the writers for not doing it themselves. I've read multiple times here over the last couple months in episodes where Wert or others have made excuses for the writers, either as the key scenes missed the cuts, or they didn't have enough time, or they had to show scenes of brooms or whatever. At some point for a lot of people the excuses for why wasn't this stuff in there starts to wear thin.

Oh, some stuff was definitely bullshit. If you wanna complain how they cut all the scenes showing the mutineers getting thrown onto the Prison Ship, or Chief getting chucked in the brig, I'm with you. Or how about the entire episode "Hero" (worst episode of the series by MILES). There's plenty to bitch about.

But seriously, your bitching about the exact nature of how Hera helped the human race survive. Apparently we're all in some way a decedent of hers. That's enough to know. The rest doesn't matter unless your obsessive.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1730454' date='Mar 23 2009, 19.13']Us. Hera is the sole member of either the Cylon or human species who has no antigens in her blood (making her O-type) and is the sole member of both species who shares that with us. That makes all of modern humanity her direct descendants, and without her the human race would have presumably ceased to exist. So Hera is the most important person in the whole damn show from that perspective.[/quote]
No, all the humans on Earth (except the Colonials) are O-type too. The other blood types didn't appear before 25000 years ago.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1730589' date='Mar 23 2009, 11.57']But seriously, your bitching about the exact nature of how Hera helped the human race survive. Apparently we're all in some way a decedent of hers. That's enough to know. The rest doesn't matter unless your obsessive.[/quote]

The problem is that her being ME means diddlysquat for helping the human race survive. You can scream "blinking tech box" all you want, but that's a pretty lame explanation for the conclusion of the whole series. Plus, seeing as ME is something which we actually know a lot about, I don't think it really qualifies as a blinking tech box.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1730573' date='Mar 23 2009, 15.48']She's apparently our Mitochondrial Ancestor or whatever. Apparently a little bit of her is in all of us.

Also, Blinking Tech-Box.[/quote]But that does not necessarily mean that "the colonial-human hybrids were the ones that ultimately survived and populated the planet."

i want to know what they did with all the criminals they had locked up on the prison ship. did they leave em in australia? fly them into the sun along with anders (who, imo, was basically murdered)?

[quote name='Matrim Fox Cauthon' post='1730640' date='Mar 23 2009, 16.20']But that does not necessarily mean that "the colonial-human hybrids were the ones that ultimately survived and populated the planet."[/quote]

Close enough to me. I have only the vaguest idea what the fuck Mitochondrial Whatever even meant. And, frankly, I don't care. Blinking Tech-Box. It got the basic point across. We are all someone related to Hera. You've got Grace Park as an ancestor, you should feel sexier.

Any human being from 150,000 years ago, is by definition, an ancestor of every human being living today or has no living descendants. ME is only special in the fact that her mitochondrial DNA is found in all living humans. Genes from other humans who lived at the same time are still present in the humans of today. Saying that the rest of the Colonials 'died out' and only 'Colonial-Cylon' hybrids survived is an assumption, and I don't think the show makes this point very clear, at all. Nor is it a point that is supported by real-world science, which is what they were going for, seeing as how they used the whole concept of ME.

They just said that Hera is ME. Wow. Big deal. That doesn't mean anything.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1730644' date='Mar 23 2009, 13.24']Close enough to me. I have only the vaguest idea what the fuck Mitochondrial Whatever even meant. And, frankly, I don't care. Blinking Tech-Box. It got the basic point across. We are all someone related to Hera. You've got Grace Park as an ancestor, you should feel sexier.[/quote]
But then you also have Helo as an ancestor...

[quote name='Shryke' post='1730644' date='Mar 23 2009, 16.24']Close enough to me. I have only the vaguest idea what the fuck Mitochondrial Whatever even meant. And, frankly, I don't care. [b]Blinking Tech-Box.[/b] It got the basic point across. We are all someone related to Hera.[/quote]Evolutionary science is a blinking tech-box? :stunned:

[quote]You've got Grace Park as an ancestor, you should feel sexier.[/quote]This would also mean that I'm a descendant of Helo. :sick:

[quote name='aeu' post='1730660' date='Mar 23 2009, 16.30']Um...no.[/quote]

why not? it's the perfect answer to everything that doesnt make sense. in fact next time Shryke doesn't get something im gonna hit him up with the blinking tech box of answers

[quote name='aeu' post='1730660' date='Mar 23 2009, 16.30']Um...no.[/quote]

Why not?

BSG has always taken this approach to science, and it's a good one for a show. Ignore the nitty-gritty detail bullshit. That stuff looks dated in 5 years anyway (Tachyons anyone?). Explain only as much as you need to for the audience to understand that POINT of the tech. How it actually works is irrelevant.

How does a Jump Drive work? Who knows? Who cares? We know the few rules that govern it and that's all that needs to be known. Same thing here. We're all related to Hera in some fashion or other. The rest of the scientific whatever is unnecessary. Wahoo, we're all Hybrids. Everyone dance. And then let's all hook ourselves up to internet using the USB ports in our wrists.

Start slitting now please. I'll wait.

[quote]This would also mean that I'm a descendant of Helo.[/quote]

The ladies tell me he's attractive. /shrug

Honestly, it only would've taken 20 seconds of dialogue to establish why Hera was so essential to humanity, but apparently pigeons and Tigh in a titty bar doing his best Howard Dean impression took precedence in Moore's mind.

[quote name='Werthead' post='1729824' date='Mar 22 2009, 17.15']The fact that apparently Head-Six and Head-Baltar knew the future is intriguing and has given rise to some fan theories that they actually are Six and Baltar who gained immortality somehow and have been time-travelling all over the shop to make sure everything happened right.[/quote]

Which really doesn't make sense given their last conversation. They are debating whether our Earth is going to repeat or break the cycle, so obviously they don't know. And presumably neither does "God", or else It just decided not to tell them.

I get why I'm supposed to like the finale. Because God says I have to.

Why did Starbuck come back? God made it happen.
Why is Hera important? God says she has to be the mitochondrial EVE
Why has Baltar been talking to imaginary people? Obviously because God wanted it to be.

So why couldn't God have just fucking appeared to the Galactica survivors and said in some giant booming voice that they needed to abandon technology, spread throughout the Earth and live like organic berry farmers?

Because that would have made a shitload more sense than everyone deciding to do that on their own.

Fuck this show. Fuck this finale. It was crap. Bad writing is when things don't make sense - either as logical events or as character actions. This final episode failed on every possible level of suspension of disbelief. They might as well have the actors break character and start talking to camera directly. Actually, the ending with Head Six and Head Baltar pretty much was that (with a little bit of A Life Less Ordinary-style exposition philosophy thrown in for good measure)

I'm listening to the last podcast now. RDM gave a shout out to the actors who played the antagonist Cylons and do have to say that Doral/Mathew Bennett did a good job in the finale. It was probably the first time he came across as menacing instead of just as an obsequious flack type, and that's without him even saying much at all.

[quote name='Myrddin' post='1730220' date='Mar 23 2009, 09.51']The finale is certainly open to critisicm, as is the entire run of the show. I actually enjoy reading the discussions for what worked and what didn't. There is much to criticize show and I can fully see how logical and rational people can fall into every category in my lame quiz.

I continue to find it interesting that the people who hate the show the most A) still watched it to the end and B) spend more time, effort, and passion discussing the show than people who enjoyed the experience. And C) seem to assume that anyone who disagrees is stupid and has no taste.[/quote]

Have you actually read the thread? Most of the 'stupid/no taste' type comments were directed at the many who disliked the finale. Your 'observation' is nonsense. Explain to me how 40,000 people spontaneously turning caveman is anything other than stupid and I'll give your further 'observations' the time of day.

[quote name='Shryke' post='1730644' date='Mar 23 2009, 12.24']Close enough to me. I have only the vaguest idea what the fuck Mitochondrial Whatever even meant. And, frankly, I don't care. Blinking Tech-Box.[/quote]

Maybe you don't know what mitochondrial eve is, but plenty of other people do. That's why it doesn't work as a blinking tech box. Its something that's fully within the realm of modern science, not some sort of futuristic science-fiction gadget.

Archived