(Not Sam Raimi) Duncan Jones to direct WORLD OF WARCRAFT movie

Werthead

How is WC3 the same story as SC?

Let's see, there's the Kerrigan/Arthas thing, the Scourge being a rewrite of the Zerg, the demon invaders laying waste to the elf/Protoss homelands before being stopped by a reluctant alliance of all the other sides (even down to the controlling multiple bases belonging to the different sides in the 'final cataclysmic battle', which in WC3's case is a bit shit) in a final battle at the very heart of one of the side's homelands (Aiur/Mt. Hyjal) and so forth. Frozen Throne takes the story off in a different direction (although even then Arthas becoming the Lich King and ruling over the undead is highly reminiscent of Kerrigan becoming the Queen of Blades and ruling over the Zerg).

So "Good guy goes evil" and "Swarm Race lays waste to most of the 'world' and is stopped at last second".

Yeah, indistinguishable...

Oh come off it, written by a bunch of the exact same people three years later with their very next game? Lazy and unoriginal. Which is basically a good description of WC3 all over, really.

WC3 ain't the best. It does introduce a bunch of new stuff they eventually did interesting things with in Frozen Throne and Beyond.

But you've really gotta stretch to call it a SC rip-off.

Fallen Hero and Evil Swarm aren't exactly uncommon things in SF/Fantasy.

WC3 ain't the best. It does introduce a bunch of new stuff they eventually did interesting things with in Frozen Throne and Beyond.

It's not a bad game overall, but it is certainly a weak Blizzard game, probably the weakest game they've released since WC2.

* googles the issue *

But apparently you don't have to stretch that far. Jesus, even the beta testers were remarking on the similarities between the two games.

But there's also dozens of other ways you can take the story. They chose to do exactly the same thing twice in a row. That to me is pretty dull.

If you never played SC and picked up WC3, I imagine it's considerably less of a problem.

With Raimi, this could actually be the first good video game movie (okay, the first Tomb Raider was kind of fun...but mostly for the eye candy factor, truth be told).

Also, it's a good fit. Raimi's sense of humor I think meshes very well with the Blizzard/Warcraft sense of humor - i.e., very cruel.

But I would not expect the same company to use the same basic storyline between their two franchises. That IS lazy writing. And don't even get me started on the retconned space goats and Sargeras.

If they made the WarCraft movie the story of Thrall's rise to power (from WarCraft Adventures before it was cancelled), I'd be totally up for that. That could be quite interesting.

Archived