(Not Sam Raimi) Duncan Jones to direct WORLD OF WARCRAFT movie

Werthead

Assuming the hero isn't named "Leg0laz331" and the plot doesn't revolve around him killing boars for thirty hours until he's tough enough to go on a raid, I'm assuming the story will revolve around the WarCraft lore. Which is kinda weird, as WoW is technically the fourth instalment of the series, lore-wise.

My guess is that we'll be looking at a generic fantasy film with some WoW names shoved over the top. And I don't think Blizzard have creative control over this (Raimi normally likes to have the final say on his projects), so who knows how it'll turn out?

Assuming the hero isn't named "Leg0laz331" and the plot doesn't revolve around him killing boars for thirty hours until he's tough enough to go on a raid, I'm assuming the story will revolve around the WarCraft lore. Which is kinda weird, as WoW is technically the fourth instalment of the series, lore-wise.

My guess is that we'll be looking at a generic fantasy film with some WoW names shoved over the top. And I don't think Blizzard have creative control over this (Raimi normally likes to have the final say on his projects), so who knows how it'll turn out?

I'm imagining like Spiderman 3, without the good part.

They could make a movie based on one of the books. I always thought that a trilogy based on the War of the Ancients would be make for a cool movie, though some of the Horde-lovers might not like having an Alliance-centric theme. Having so many dragons play an integral part would necessitate a lot of CGI, but I love dragons and as long as the CGI isn't ridiculously bad I'll like it.

Technically it is the 6th: Warcraft (Orcs & Humans), Warcraft II: Tides of Darkness, Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal, Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos, Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne, World of Warcraft.

But how much do you want to bet that we will have to see an Alliance (Good Guys) vs. Horde (Evil Dudez) film? :sick:

Kirsten Dunst's boobs?

They don't count as they also come with Kirsten Dunst's teeth.

Wert,

According to the WB guy and Raimi they are making a WarCraft movie, not a 'World of Warcraft" thing. I'd guess thats just the reporter not knowing anything about it tacking it on. My guess the movie will be the basic plotline for WarCraft 1 which has been expanded by WOW and books and the other games. It's a pretty solid tale with good guys and bad guys and a definite end.

My guess the movie will be the basic plotline for WarCraft 1 which has been expanded by WOW and books and the other games. It's a pretty solid tale with good guys and bad guys and a definite end.

Don't the bad guys win in the canonical version of the first Warcraft game?

They don't count as they also come with Kirsten Dunst's teeth.

Wert,

According to the WB guy and Raimi they are making a WarCraft movie, not a 'World of Warcraft" thing. I'd guess thats just the reporter not knowing anything about it tacking it on. My guess the movie will be the basic plotline for WarCraft 1 which has been expanded by WOW and books and the other games. It's a pretty solid tale with good guys and bad guys and a definite end.

Wow.

First, anyone who would disparage the looks of Kirsten Dunst has serious fucking issues.

Secondly, World of Warcraft *IS* Warcraft. One would think that would go without saying, but obviously not. If any game Blizzard has ever done has had it's backed turned on by the company, it's Warcraft 1. There are plenty of bad folks in Warcraft, but the time of bad races vs. good races is thankfully LONG over.

Wow.

First, anyone who would disparage the looks of Kirsten Dunst has serious fucking issues.

Secondly, World of Warcraft *IS* Warcraft. One would think that would go without saying, but obviously not. If any game Blizzard has ever done has had it's backed turned on by the company, it's Warcraft 1. There are plenty of bad folks in Warcraft, but the time of bad races vs. good races is thankfully LONG over.

First, anyone who thinks Kirsten Dunst has good looking teeth is a moron. Flat out.

Secondly, you really don't know how people tell stories do you? You have to start at a beginning. War of the Ancients has no humans or Orcs, so that will not be it. So when do the orcs first come into the story hmm? Use your brain Stego, even if it seems hard.

Apparently, the film was originally to take place during the First War, but will now be set one year before the start of WoW.

The protagonist will be what Chris Metzen described as a "kick-ass human."

As long as the dialog is not of the same level and quality as your average trade channel, we should be fine.

As long as the dialog is not of the same level and quality of ANY BLIZZARD GAME, we should be fine.

Seriously, Blizzard has made an art form out of developing cardboard characters (all three franchises), ripped-off settings (WC) and using any and all Hollywood cliches and tropes they can think of, including a simplistic worldview on par with Star Wars but without the self-irony. All Blizzard games are made for a teenage audience in terms of the storytelling level, and, had they been novels instead, would sit right next to Forgotten Realms in terms of literary value or originality. (Oh, wait, the novelizations already do.)

As such, if this is a faithful adaption of the WC games, it'll be a lot of beautiful cheese. Raimi on board only makes this more of a certainty.

What I'm really curious about is how a WoW movie will be received by movie critics. Every game critic has been fawning over Blizzard's storytelling for years now, mainly because there isn't any serious storytelling going on in the most mainstream game industry at the moment, so anything that comes with a surprising plot twist is regarded as the Tolstoy equivalent of the medium. I personally think the superficial nature of Blizzard's storytelling is going to become a lot more apparent in a movie, especially when reviewed by people who won't praise the storytelling just because it's packed with stellar gameplay.

If the film goes on to be a mega-hit, Games Workshop are going to be gnawing their arms off in rage they let the statute of limitations expire (mind you, they probably reached that point about five years ago when WoW launched).

What I'm really curious about is how a WoW movie will be received by movie critics. Every game critic has been fawning over Blizzard's storytelling in the RTS medium for years now

Highlighted. Although I think StarCraft's story holds up a bit better than the WC universe's one, only because Blizzard hasn't retconned the hell out of it (that time is coming with SC2, have no fear though).

Archived