Football thread 13

Calibandar

I agree. City's best signing. He's pulled off heroics not only on club level, but more importantly (for me :P) at international level for a long time now. He's certainly proven to be Ireland's best ever goalkeeper, and one of our best produced in general.

Keeping for a top team is a different sort of challenge to playing for a leaky one. Reina for example wouldn't be that good at, say, Hull, but for Liverpool he's perfect because his command of the box and organisation of defense are probably, at this point in time, the best in the league.

Given is awesome. Donegal boy, too, can't hurt. :)

Adebayor is simply a disgrace. I had heard lots about his antics before I saw them, and imagined the stamp to be a lot more "solid" than it was, but both actions (the other being the run to the away stand) deserve a ban of some kind. I've heard the FA are to discuss it today, and I'm looking forward to at least a four match ban, because what he did is inexcusable in any circumstances.

Yeah, keeper's are pretty undervalued. But it's also because they're idiots. Why would the best goalkeepers want to play for the best teams? They see little, if any, action. Surely the greatest challenge would be to test their skills with a poorer team?

They're idiots for playing for the best teams or for not wanting to play for the best teams?

Keeping for a top team is a different sort of challenge to playing for a leaky one. Reina for example wouldn't be that good at, say, Hull, but for Liverpool he's perfect because his command of the box and organisation of defense are probably, at this point in time, the best in the league.

Why don't you think that Reina would be that good at Hull? Obviously he'd concede more goals behind a worse defense but I don't think he has any glaring weaknesses in his game that would be exposed at a different club. Actually I don't agree that keepers shouldn't play for the best teams, all of the best defenses I can think of are characterised by having a very good keeper as an integral part of that defense.

Adebayor should be banned, but for kicking Van Persie in the face.

No he shouldn't. People got hurt because of Adebayor's actions, it's those kind of reasons that mean he is not allowed to celebrate wherever the hell he likes.

People got hurt because some sections of the Arsenal support felt it was ok to kick off. The blame is their's and their's alone. Supporters don't have the right to riot just because a player rubs their faces in the scoreline.

Blimey, the CL is around again. The group stages start tomorrow. The games look like so:

Atletico Madrid v Apoel Nicosia, Gp D

Besiktas v Man Utd, Gp B

Chelsea v FC Porto, Gp D

FC Zurich v Real Madrid, Gp C

Juventus v Bordeaux, Gp A

Maccabi Haifa v Bayern Munich, Gp A

Marseille v AC Milan, Gp C

Wolfsburg v CSKA Moscow, Gp B

So, which one should we all be keeping an eye on? Marseille vs. Milan? Juve vs. Bordeaux?

People got hurt because some sections of the Arsenal support felt it was ok to kick off. The blame is their's and their's alone. Supporters don't have the right to riot just because a player rubs their faces in the scoreline.

Just because the Arsenal fans at the match reacted like they did does not justify sprinting the pitch to go celebrate a goal in their face, it was stupid and idiotic through I believe for that incident the ref did the right thing with the yellow and that should be now left alone.

The stamp is what needs the FA looking at

Why don't you think that Reina would be that good at Hull? Obviously he'd concede more goals behind a worse defense but I don't think he has any glaring weaknesses in his game that would be exposed at a different club. Actually I don't agree that keepers shouldn't play for the best teams, all of the best defenses I can think of are characterised by having a very good keeper as an integral part of that defense.

He'd do alright, but Given of Friedel or Jaskelainen would do better. Because Reina's not an exemplary shotstopper.

On the other hand if you put any of those into the Liverpool goal they'd probably make more direct saves and yet concede more goals.

Wrong. People got hurt because the Arsenal fans were morons. Adebayor should not even have been booked.

Incitement is a banning offence. He incited the crowd, deliberately meaning to. That is scummy and he deserves to be banned. A couple of games for that, another couple for the stamp, maybe he'll miss a month. And he'd deserve it.

Wrong. People got hurt because the Arsenal fans were morons. Adebayor should not even have been booked.

Mathis,

I agree that's why people got hurt. Is the blame theirs alone? Strictly speaking... no. It never would have happened had Adebayor not done what he did. Had he chose to celebrate behind the goal in which he scored, nobody gets hurt. I don't condone what the Arsenal fans did, I'm merely pointing out that Adebayor is at fault as well.

Luke,

It's actually correct. Adebayor ran to the opposition fans, the fans reacted. Again, I have to state I do not condone what they did or claim they were blameless. There would be no reaction without his action, so as a direct consequence of what Adebayor did, people got hurt. He is not allowed to celebrate wherever he likes, and it's events like this that highlight why. His booking was completely justified, I just wonder what makes you think he should not have even been booked? Goal celebrations have had restrictions on them for a while now, even for taking off your shirt. A booking was a minimum.

The reason I think he should get more than the standard 3 match ban associated with a red card is because of both incidents in the match put together. One is worth a red, the other is worth a yellow.

BlackWizard,

I haven't looked yet, but I can only assume it's because current regulations say that a dive should be punished with a yellow card, so a 2 match ban does not match up with a yellow card offence. I'll have a look and maybe get some more information on the exact reasoning behind the repeal. I actually thought it would stick because I had read of another Celtic opponent from last season copping the same charge for the same offence - I think that was also in a qualification game for the Champions League.

No, you're wrong because extended goal celebrations ARE a bookable offense. Those are the rules and the players know it, so it should come as no surprise to anyone when they get booked. And that's without deliberately inciting the opposition fans.

I'm OK with booking him, because that's the rules, and I think he should get a suspension for the stamping bit, but to imply that he's at fault for fans acting like jackasses is ridiculous. Shall we blame the actions of West Ham fans on the existence of Millwall?

I'm actually kind of OK in general with players giving it back to fans; there seems to be a consensus in much of the sporting world that because fans pay for tickets, they also receive the right to visit whatever abuse they wish up on the players; if a player taunts them back, I'm kind of OK with it in general. The blame in this sort of situation should always go to whomever crossed the line from taunts to violence; in this case, that is certainly not Adebayor's fault.

Archived