Football thread 13

Calibandar

^Those people paid Adebayor's wages for years.

No, they didn't. Arsenal football club payed his wages. I wonder, are you one of those idiots who likes to give policemen orders in the belief that you pay their salaries?

He's a scummy fucker and I hope someone teaches him a lesson. 6 weeks is fine, but Van Persie should have killed him.

He's a professional sportsman, the least he can do is act professionally. If he can't, he shouldn't play. They live an easy lifestyle, it's not like he's being treated badly at his club or at the last club really. It was his own fault the fans he hated him.

:rolleyes:

Argive,

I think you come up with a good point in reference to the current system regarding the banning of a player following a red card, or in this case tribunal of some kind. I hadn't ever given it much thought, even though I always thought it was unfair that the team he was sent off against don't benefit longer than 10 minutes in many cases, and your idea for banning the player for the next occasion he faces that opponent is a good one. A mix of the current system and that method may be the way forward if they decide an amendment is needed.

Yeah. The only issue I can think of is if the player in question were traded away before he could serve that suspension. I guess they could convert the suspension into a fine for the club. /shrug.

No, they didn't. Arsenal football club payed his wages.

That is a simple reply. Where do Arsenal football club get their money from? Thin air? They're able to pay massive wages to the likes of Adebayor because the fans pack their stadiums out every week, etc. So, those people did indeed pay him.

That is a simple reply. Where do Arsenal football club get their money from? Thin air? They're able to pay massive wages to the likes of Adebayor because the fans pack their stadiums out every week, etc. So, those people did indeed pay him.

Wrong. The fans payed Arsenal FC to watch football in its stadium and to wear its replica shirts and whatever else. Thats it. Thats what they payed for and they got their money's worth.

The fans are paying customers, not shareholders.

Wrong. The fans payed Arsenal FC to watch football in its stadium and to wear its replica shirts and whatever else. Thats it. Thats what they payed for and they got their money's worth.

The fans are paying customers, not shareholders.

Despite the fact that they're not formal shareholders, fans rightly feel a sense of ownership over the club. This isn't misplaced when you pay ridiculous prices for replica kits and stadium seats (particularly at the Emirates). They do so with the knowledge that the money goes to the club, and they accept that they over pay, because they want their club to be financially sound.

If it were a simple calculation of entertainment dollars, or clothing purchases, there are far better ways to spend one's money. People do these things to support their club.

Despite the fact that they're not formal shareholders, fans rightly feel a sense of ownership over the club.

Fans wrongly feel a sense of ownership. They're deluded. The authorities shouldn't indulge them in their fantasies.

This isn't misplaced when you pay ridiculous prices for replica kits and stadium seats (particularly at the Emirates). They do so with the knowledge that the money goes to the club, and they accept that they over pay, because they want their club to be financially sound.

They pay for the entertainment and the sense of belonging that comes from supporting a local (or not so local depending on your affiliation) football club. If they feel that the price isn't worth it then they don't pay. Simples, as Chelsea fans might say.

If it were a simple calculation of entertainment dollars, or clothing purchases, there are far better ways to spend one's money.

So what's stopping them?

Fans wrongly feel a sense of ownership. They're deluded. The authorities shouldn't indulge them in their fantasies.

Legally speaking you may have a point, but a football club is not a normal business by any stretch of the imagination. Most clubs have been around much longer than football as a business has been. A club does not just consist of its first team, they have various youth teams, amateur teams and often compete in various other sports besides football (though usually these days the football part of any such club is a seperate legal entity). A club allows you to become a member if you want to, and in most cases that means that the people running the club have to justify their decisions in front of an assembly of club members at least once a year.

A certain sense of ownership is not misplaced for a fan IMO, though using this as an excuse to verbally abuse or even physically attack players is taking it too far.

I would disagree with this. Certainly mob tendencies exist, but I don't think it's nearly as prevalent in other sports

It depends on the situation. Any crowd in an emotionally charged atmosphere can easily get out of control. Football matches tend create this kind of atmosphere more often than many other events, which probably has various causes but one that should not be overlooked is the sheer number of high attendance football games played worldwide on a weekly basis. The popularity of the sport guarantees it will make headlines in both positive and negative ways very often.

Now that's the kind of performance Arsenal needed to show they can give. Away from home and 2-0 down, then came back to win 3-2. Throw that in with games like the 6-1 against Everton and 4-1 against Portsmouth, and we've shown we can annihilate and comeback. The city of Manchester doesn't exist.

Now that's the kind of performance Arsenal needed to show they can give. Away from home and 2-0 down, then came back to win 3-2. Throw that in with games like the 6-1 against Everton and 4-1 against Portsmouth, and we've shown we can annihilate and comeback. The city of Manchester doesn't exist.

I hate to rain on the parade, but while coming back from 2-0 down to win is always good, at the same time it means that you were at one point 2-0 down to arguably the weakest team in the CL. I wouldn't be breaking out the champagne just yet. ;)

Good result for Rangers, I thought: away draw against Stuttgart is a nice start to the group. Now the trick will be not to screw up against the Romanians...

Standard the weakest team in the CL. Not realy, last year they made it very hard for liverpool to qualify for the CL and then went on to beat Everton for the UEFA cup ticket.

Furthermore, I didn't think Arsenal looked good yesterday, though they deserved the win. Fabregas played very poor and we have Eduardo to thank for the 1-0. Also the 2-2 was preceded by hands (Song).

So it could have turned out very different.

Archived