Football thread 13

Calibandar

As Isis said, goal celebrations are only meant to be 'reimbursed' time-wise if the ref thinks they are excessively long.

And so it appears that in this case the ref did factor that time into deciding how much to add on.

Looks like some of the strikers are in really sparkling form sofar. Rooney for Man United has been superb, 6 goals sofar and league topscorer. Drogba has looked like a prize bull every match and is in tremendous form. Torres is still doing his thing for Liverpool and will again be among the best strikers in Europe. Ok, Arsenal lack a really efficient goalscorer as has been concluded many times before, they rely more on overall team performance. Adebayor on the other hand, his disgraceful performance last week nothwithstanding, has been at his very best for Man City sofar. Jermain Defoe has excelled at Spurs.

I'm interested to see who will be doing best and lead their teams to the most important victories.

In Spain, Barcelona and Madrid win their 3rd match in a row. Zlatan and Messie each have 4 goals already, as does Ronaldo for Madrid. Benzema scored as well, as did Ruud van Nistelrooy who returned yesterday after a year's absence. Sadly he suffered another injury to his leg and will now be out again for 5 weeks. I trust he will recover. His knack for scoring goals is unbelievable.

Darren Bent has also been doing well at Sunderland - he has 5 goals in 6 games, which is only one less than superb Rooney and the same as prize bull Drogba, Torres and Defoe. Definitely answering the people who said he wasn't worth the price tag Sunderland paid in the right way.

The thing about Bent is that he's an ace goalscorer, but that's all he does. Makes him great for Sunderland, who are very creative and can afford to make him the focal point of an attack - it wouldn't do so well for Newcastle or teams like that, for the same reason Owen did badly (he needs feeding), and he'd only be a fringe player at the top 6 sides for the same reason Owen is now - we want our strikers to do more these days.

I like him though. And he was about the first entry in my fantasy team. Unlike Rooney and Defoe in particular, Bent will score consistently - those two have a history of scoring flurries.

Surely the best story of the week by far, possibly the season:

Sol Campbell quits Notts County after one game.

"For any fan that bought a new Notts' shirt and had 'Campbell' printed on the back, I am pleased to offer a voucher for the club shop for a replacement shirt."

Cup week in Germany and Hertha, Hamburg, Leverkusen and Wolfsburg were eliminated. All by lower league opposition, except for Wolfsburg who lost to Cologne, who will be a lower league team only by the end of the season.

The highlight was clearly the game between Eintracht Frankfurt and Alemannia Aachen. Frankfurt went up 2-0, then Aachen pulled one back before Frankfurt established a comfortable 5-1 lead which Aachen managed to reduce to 5-4 again before a last minute penalty put the game beyond doubt at 6-4. Fun.

Good win by 'Pool. Torres is awesome and has found his form again after a so-so first few games of the season. Still though, 6-1 doesn't really reflect how patchy our play was. And Gerrard was anonymous for much of the game. I was happy the scoreline enabled some substitutions. Babel and Voronin will both benefit from some playing time in low-stress situations like that. Babel still looked a little lost, despite scoring. Voronin always looks lively and tries some good things, but he doesn't look like he'll put a chance in the net.

Chelsea beaten by Wigan, with an automatic suspension coming for Cech after his straight red card. They (and Utd) have had some marginal wins. It won't go your way every week. Still, Chelsea and Utd look the strongest right now and Liverpool have not really found their rhythm yet or added depth to their squad.

Archived