The Great Hunt

Jaxom 1974

I would be very surprised to find out Olver is not whatshisname...Birgette's soulmate. But the herald of end of ages and his sister...have they been reborn? I am guessing yes. But, if the heroes are reborn, then they can't answer the Call of the Horn. How many heroes bound to the wheel will show up at the Last Battle?

Olver is not Gaidal Cain. The Creator said so.

As for those other two Heroes, Shivan and Calian, just because the stories about them say they accompany the end of the Ages doesn't mean its necessarily so. A theme running through the whole WoT series is that stories and myths get exaggerated and changed with each telling. For example, in FoH, Egwene reads a story about the true love of Anselan and Barashelle. Later, Birgitte tells Elayne the true version of the story, in which the two characters were never in love and actually forced into marriage.

All this talk is kind of making me want to read the WoT again, despite my solemn vow when Crossroads of Twilight came out to not read the series anymore until it was finished. I must be strong.

I felt the same way until a couple of weeks ago, i'm now near the end of book 5 and loving it. :)

oooh, I am re-reading too and loving the books far more than I did. (Just started book 7) Maybe we could have a re-read thread? Already have several WoT threads but none is really a good fit for re-read stuff. Yes/No?

Holy cows! I'm getting to the end (finally got back to this) and how Terry Goodkind hasn't been sued is beyond me. I'm a long time Lemming, but damn I never realized how complete the theft of ideas was...

Quoted for extra truthiness. My favorite was an interview in which somebody asked RJ what he thought about Terry Goodkind and the Sword of Truth. RJ's response was classy: "I'm aware of Mr. Goodkind."

Quoted for extra truthiness. My favorite was an interview in which somebody asked RJ what he thought about Terry Goodkind and the Sword of Truth. RJ's response was classy: "I'm aware of Mr. Goodkind."

This is America though! Home of baseless lititgation! And this wouldn't have been baseless! Damn. When Denna, excuse me, Renna put Egwene through the wringer...

There are several theories that the black mask/red mask siblings you mention will be the twins that Egwene is currently carrying.

As mentioned above, Olver isn't Gaidal Cain because RJ said so... but it would be unweildy even so considering that Olver was already born when Cain appeared at Falme.

As to Cadsuane being a darkfriend, I don't see that at all.

Agreed, Cads is many things but she isn't a darkfriend and yeah Oliver was already born when Cain was showing up at Falme. I'm most interested to find out (MAYBE) at some point what the hell is going on with Verin.

Stop being so Catholic. :P Drown that sense of guilt in the blood of innocent trolloc babies.

LOL, I went to a wedding with a Catholic mass and I think all Catholic guilt can be tied to the phrase/prayer, "Forgive me for what I have done, and what I have failed to do.". :lol:

Now that raises a question...who takes care of trolloc babies? The female trollocs?

Finished book 7 last night. Still, after 20 years, am dissatisfied with Sammael's end. As the books go on I feel like RJ was fucking with his audience just because. Whats the deal with Verin has been a wondering of mine too, yep, for twenty years. I remember RJ said that not all threads will be tied up, and just thinking of that makes me pissy. I wonder which threads won't be completed.

Now that raises a question...who takes care of trolloc babies? The female trollocs?

Margaret Thatcher.

Finished book 7 last night. Still, after 20 years, am dissatisfied with Sammael's end. As the books go on I feel like RJ was fucking with his audience just because. Whats the deal with Verin has been a wondering of mine too, yep, for twenty years. I remember RJ said that not all threads will be tied up, and just thinking of that makes me pissy. I wonder which threads won't be completed.

I'm on the Verin train, too. At different times I got the impression that she's a Black Ajah. But then later, not so much. She seems to know a lot more than she should, and quite sharp for a Brown on things political. So what do you get when you mix brown and blue?

Also, I'm glad that I read Great Hunt first, then went back to EotW, when I first started the series. I am almost done with re-reading (3rd time) EotW now (5 more chapters to go), but it most assuredly is derivative of Tolkien, in so many ways. Now, I think the derivation was intended, but I'm not sure that I would have gotten that from EotW alone if I had read that one first. The outright copy-cat-ness of many things will just obscure the philosophy too much for me, I think.

I'm on the Verin train, too. At different times I got the impression that she's a Black Ajah. But then later, not so much. She seems to know a lot more than she should, and quite sharp for a Brown on things political. So what do you get when you mix brown and blue?

It's been a while since I read most of the WOT books but didn't she use compulsion and isn't that one of the things that Aes Sedai aren't supposed to be able to do?

It's been a while since I read most of the WOT books but didn't she use compulsion and isn't that one of the things that Aes Sedai aren't supposed to be able to do?

They aren't ALLOWED to do it, but none of the Oaths prevent them from doing it either.

And you can see Verin talk herself into doing this stuff during the prologue to POD, so she is most definitely bound by the Three Oaths.

They aren't ALLOWED to do it, but none of the Oaths prevent them from doing it either.

And you can see Verin talk herself into doing this stuff during the prologue to POD, so she is most definitely bound by the Three Oaths.

But then there's the entire discussion threads centering around "Did Verin lie?" I don't recall the specifics, but it really was pretty glaring. I always hated the "light friend" theories that were floating around.

Archived