Olympics - All around discussion

blasted_saber

Yeah, official website means he's got a webmaster and publicity people running it for him. Doesn't necessarily mean he directly or even indirectly had any role in that bit of silliness. :)

This skicross event is kinda ... hrm. Low-quality, both on the male and female side. There's some bitching here in Sweden about the fact that we sent a full squad to this, when it seems such a laughable sport. I don't know, the snowboard-cross is pretty fun, but it definitely seems to attract a younger, fitter, more athletic set overall.

This skicross event is kinda ... hrm. Low-quality, both on the male and female side. There's some bitching here in Sweden about the fact that we sent a full squad to this, when it seems such a laughable sport. I don't know, the snowboard-cross is pretty fun, but it definitely seems to attract a younger, fitter, more athletic set overall.

They need to make it even more difficult to complete a successful run. As of now, once the leader gets in front, you need a major accident to knock them out of that position.

I wonder how much of an effect holding the races on the snowboard cross course has had. I think the normal course requirements are a bit different...

Norway's king apparently likes their trousers. And the team is currently wearing a change strip, in red, white and grey diamonds, for their match with Britain...

The thing about skicross is that you have participants from all kinds of weird nations like Jamaica and Denmark.

ETA: Noticed an error in the BBC article. The King spent his birthday in Vancouver on Sunday, so he didn't fly over for the curling match. I haven't seen him in the stands, but he was supposed to go see the defeat of the Scots.

They need to make it even more difficult to complete a successful run. As of now, once the leader gets in front, you need a major accident to knock them out of that position.

They need to put it on a more of a downhill course. The snow board course had a lot of jumps and turns, but once they were ahead it was clear sailing.

Not really true. I saw leads change several times in both snowboard- and ski-cross. The turns allow the gutsy person in close second to cut in tight and carry more speed out of the turn, which sometimes led to a pass. And on a couple of occasions, superior skill led people to carrying more speed through jumps and passing again.

Too big a lead can be a problem though, certainly.

ETA: Noticed an error in the BBC article. The King spent his birthday in Vancouver on Sunday, so he didn't fly over for the curling match. I haven't seen him in the stands, but he was supposed to go see the defeat of the Scots.

The BBC commentators were just commenting on him joining in the Mexican Wave in the stadium.

Not really true. I saw leads change several times in both snowboard- and ski-cross. The turns allow the gutsy person in close second to cut in tight and carry more speed out of the turn, which sometimes led to a pass. And on a couple of occasions, superior skill led people to carrying more speed through jumps and passing again.

Too big a lead can be a problem though, certainly.

The women's ski cross did seem to have a lot more overtaking (maybe because of the conditions?) than the men's competition where the early leader usually seemed to win. It might have been better if they didn't have the two steep bits right at the start, because often one or two of the competitors got stuck on them or slowed down a lot which then made the rest of the race less competitive.

Ran,

No doubt he is a phenomenal athlete and men's figure skating has a very shallow talent pool.

And if we're just going to skip the hard stuff, might as well just call it ice froo-frooing and stop giving it medals.

There's supposed to be athleticism here.

Skip the hard stuff? Dude, you try doing what they do. Yes, the quad is the hardest jump to land (only plushenko landed it), but the event is figure skating, not quad jumping. Lysacek's routine was tougher, despite the quad. As for athleticism, Plushenko front loaded his jumps to get them out of the way while he was fresh. Lysacek backloaded them to get the bonus because it is HARDER to do jumps at the end of the routine than it is at the start of the routine.

Besides, Plushenko would have won had he performed the routine he set out. He skipped a double loop. Plushenko blew it.

Tempra,

Yes, the quad is the hardest jump to land (only plushenko landed it),

The Swede, Adrian Schlutheiss, landed it. So did Stephan Lambiel. And .... someone else, I'm pretty sure. That's it, though.

And yeah, Plushenko miscalculated. I doubt he'll make the same mistake at Worlds.

Plushenko started skating competively again edit

The fact that he's back to this level of skating after his long break-- and that Stephan Lambiel, who was also out for several years, came in fourth [and third in the free] -- kind of shows that, contra Lysacek, this is a pretty weak field right now.

Plushenko has never not skated perfect that I know of. And he was sick... he broke the point record in the short and was kinda down, they interviewed him and he was sick. And he was STILL perfect, the rest need to man the fuck up.

Anyways.... YAYYYYY we finally got GOLD in ice dance!!! That was sooo Russian and France dominated for so many years... North America took it!!! (Still bitter about Bourne and Kraatz but I won't go there). <_<

I'm scared to talk about hockey...:uhoh: Except keep Luongo in and PRAY.

The Swiss made it a good game and Hiller was crazy good in the net, but US found a way to win and now into the medal round. Getting ready for Canada vs Russia, two of the best teams, and one of hem will go home without a medal.

Archived