Five Photos within Five Miles

Whitestripe

I hadn't had time to take any pictures before, but took a few today. It was quite hard to narrow the 80 photos I took down to just 5.

Cambridge does offer a lot of opportunities for interesting photographs, there's 800 years worth of Cambridge University buildings, the green spaces of the city's commons, the assorted boats on the river and some very pretty countryside around, particularly on the path down to Granchester.

I tried to photograph some things I hadn't taken before, I could have taken some of the cliched photographs of Kings College Chapel or the view across the Backs that tourists are so fond of (and they do make for a good photograph), but if I wanted to submit some photos of them I could just find some I took a couple of years ago.

I tried to take and select pictures which depicted everyday life. I could have gone for other 'exceptional' stuff but wanted cool pictures of otherwise mundane things.

While I loved lots of the pics the yellow boots in the green grass is a favorite as is the picture shot through the doorway.

All the pictures were great and this was a wonderful idea. I'm hoping we'll do it again soon.

If I had to pick just 5? Tall order.

I like Sophie's picture of the cat drawn on the wall. Nice and whimsical

I like the tree on Jesus Green by Williamjm

The white domes against the sky by kuro ishi (not sure who that is on the board?) always catches my eye.

The rusted lock on the patch of yellow by Misha is a wonderful shot. Yellow is such a cheery color and is unexpected there.

The close up of the rusted iron work by Seli-id is also very nice and draws my eye each time.

I could say nice things about each and every shot. Dal'Thor and Mashiara's make me want to move to Greece - always, always wanted to go there. Misha's shot with the boots make me smile and the one with her kid wearing them almost made the list. All of the photos of exotic places just make me jealous that they have so much beauty and history at their fingertips. To be fair, just about everywhere is exotic to me stuck in the midwest. I loved Fee's photo of the kilted man. Just a day in the life. Aly's menagerie shows off her personality. Idrinn's beach huts are also a really nice shot. Prue's swans, Insert Edit's girl in the pink jacket makes me smile, LooN's coffee cup? is an interesting shot of the ordinary, same thing about Datepalm's woman on the bus ... I have to stop now. I could go on an on.

I liked so many of the photos submitted. This has really been a fun way for me to start thinking about my hobby again.

My five favorites, in no particular order, are:

LoON's coffee cup.

The colors grab me; it's nicely composed, and there is something that appeals about taking an ordinary object out of perspective. Nice depth of field. Was it taken in a subway station? I get the feeling of the cup as being discarded trash. There is something sort of gritty about the photo. I guess it's the smudges on the cup and the things on the floor.

Malt's Newspaper Man

This is a great portrait. I wonder if it is candid or posed? I like the angle of the photo so that he's not standing directly in front of the booth. I think you get a real sense of place in this photo. What strikes me is that it appears to be mid-day in an urban setting, but there is no car or pedestrian traffic. There appear to be no passers-by to buy this man's papers. I might have framed it a bit differently to include less of the car park on the left and the entire newspaper booth on the right, but that is a quibble.

MinDonner's Beach Huts

Again, I really get a sense of place here. I can almost feel the overcast day. The bike leaning up against the first hut really makes the photo for me.

dalThor's church

This is just a really pretty picture. I liked the other church steeple photos as well, but I'm drawn to the perspective of the photo being taken from the roof of a neighboring building in this one. I like that you can see the rest of the city in the background.

Fee's Kilted Man

This is great street photography. I love the subject's whimsy. It seems like if you asked this guy to sit down for a chat he'd be quite a character. The lines of the buildings draw my eye also. I think this photo works really well in B&W. I don't think it would be nearly as effective in color.

My honorable mentions are:

Insert Edit's Squirrel Sighting

I love the the way Insert Edit caught the expression on the subject's (her daughter's ?) face.

thebigTEA's bridge

The composition is very nice. I like the ripples on the water, and I find the curve of the bridge very graceful, which contrasts nicely with the fact that is is concrete structure. I wonder what this shot would look like in color. Is the water very blue? Is it summer with green trees or autumn with colored trees? Is the sky deep blue or pale blue?

There were a lot of pics that made me go wow because they're special...I'll try to list some of them...

Dunny's mouse embryo

That's something I've never seen before, pretty weird, and wonderful considering it's life developping. Although the poos mouse probably didn't make it.

Maltaran's sign Humped pelicans? Where? Why?

snow-covered hill I don't actually like the cold but I'd like to be there, it looks peaceful.

Kid in the puddle He just looks so happy. Even from behind, and there's a nice energy in the shot.

wave I love the sea, could watch waves for hours.

I really like...

Sophelias street lamps at sunset - the lamps that are both very ornate but quite simple, black against the very dramatic sky...it looks both old fashioned and victorian to abstract and super modern to me simultaneously, as well as pretty and ethereal.

Big Tea's tree Stump - I could just look and look at it, its so inctricate and warm.

LooNs train station - something about the calm sepia colors and all the parallel lines. It suggests a homey and day to day routine but also possibilities and things over the horizon.

Was it taken in a subway station? I get the feeling of the cup as being discarded trash.

It was taken on a bus, and the cup and transfer tickets were pieces of trash that I found lying there.

Some of my favourites;

The Door by Prue; really enjoy the look down the colonnade.

Street Lamps at Sunset by Sophelia; I think that this one is amazing. I love the texture of the sky, how the structures are cast in shadow, and the lamp posts trailing off into the distance. Beautiful.

Barony Street by Needle; it really does have an album cover look. I like how all the windows on the building are different, and the layout is not symmetrical. I think that it makes it very interesting.

The Bridge by the Big TEA; I like how the curve of the bridge and the water interact with one another. Very interesting.

Road to the Mountain by Insert Edit; I love vanishing points, and anything with interesting perspectives. Cool shot!

Well shoot. No pun intended.

I had my comments all typed out and accidentally deleted them. :dunce:

So unless I get some time later on this evening I will just say:

WOW. It would have been impossible anyways to pick 5 faves. Amazing talent and creativity was shown by all. :bowdown:

Thank you EVERYONE for sharing pieces of your lives with us.

B & W pics, pink pics, sunset/sky pics, colourful trees and bugs, and funny/quirky pics were especially my faves.

And Seli-id's pics should have a warning on them about spiders. ;) *shudder*

Barony Street by Red Sun;

Oi, That was one of mine! :P

I'll post my faves tomorrow. Just a reminder to anyone wanting to join - go to the group and click the request membership bit, don't just post in the thread or Pm me in flickr because for the first, I'll miss it, for the second, the flickr invite bit doesn't seem to work very well (I can never find people). Hope I haven't kep anyone waiting for too long..was a busy weekend :)

Extra photos appear when you join. There's some I didn't see the first time and have yet to comment on. Want to shout out my favourites too, but it may take me a few days to get round to it. Stressful time at work, but looking at these photos is wonderful therapy.

*goes back into the woodwork* (well, more paperwork actually)

thebigTEA's bridge

The composition is very nice. I like the ripples on the water, and I find the curve of the bridge very graceful, which contrasts nicely with the fact that is is concrete structure. I wonder what this shot would look like in color. Is the water very blue? Is it summer with green trees or autumn with colored trees? Is the sky deep blue or pale blue?

Thank you for the compliments! And to answer the questions posed-

It was a really sunny day in September. I have it is color if you would like to see it, but the exposure is a little wonkey and I think it looks far better in B&W.

Thanks again.

Ty

Thank you for the compliments! And to answer the questions posed-

It was a really sunny day in September. I have it is color if you would like to see it, but the exposure is a little wonkey and I think it looks far better in B&W.

Thanks again.

Ty

Oh! Yes please! :)

A lot of fantastic pictures here. I have so many favorites it's really too many to list. We have a real talented group of people.

When I was taking mine, I tried to find shots that exemplified Iowa geographically and historically. I threw in the picture of my neighborhood to give an idea of what I see every day.

I'm all for another shoot/challenge. I'm not terribly artistic, but I'll give it my best shot. :)

And Seli-id's pics should have a warning on them about spiders. ;) *shudder*

:blushing: My apologies. I was proud of myself I did manage not to use any spider pictures for my five photos. I could justify the bugs for myself. I usually make pictures of details/small things and the spiders at least tend to sit still.

Looking at all the nice pictures everyone submitted I feel I must really try to keep my eyes open for larger views as well. Thanks everyone.

Archived