Lost Season 6 Thread - The Final Countdown

Mya Stone

New thread was on it's dying leg.

I love when people get into it for the first time. Dub and I watched the first 3 seasons on DVD, so we started watching S4 live.

I'm glad we missed the frustration of those long hiatuses. :P

That's exactly what I did! Watched the first three seasons in about 2 weeks, so I never really felt the pain of dragging storylines and long breaks. Then started S4 live and it was so hard to not get the next episode right away!

Think this is my favorite observation from hubby:

I like charlie right now. Seems quirky. Kate's already rubbing me the wrong way...

:lmao:

I've been watching it since Season 1 so I've suffered through everything *sigh*

I was an Alias fan and at first I was really pissed off when Lost started as it seemed to be taking certain people away from Alias but I ended up watching anyway and getting sucked in. Now I just keep reminding myself what Alias's final season and series finale was like to prepare myself for these next two weeks. I mean I hated Season 5 as it aired and hated the finale...because I was like wtf is that and where are our answers?????...but since rewatching all 5 seasons from start to finish, it doesn't bother me as much. Hopefully, I'll get to that same place with Lost...someday.

God...Alias' last few eps were actually pretty awesome, but the finale was...atrociously bad. Just horrible.

That being said, I'm not sure there are any characters to assassinate like there were in Alias, so perhaps it's not going to be so bad. I mean...what, are they going to reveal that Jack's a dick? OMG!

Well the candidates blow themselves up so no one else needs to assassinate them.

I've come to like Season 5 of Alias but at the time it was just annoying that they were bringing in all these new characters who we were suddenly supposed to care about.

We should just all be thankful that there is no Clifford Red Ball of Doom on Lost. And that the reason people are able to come back to life is because the island is *special* not because there was some mysterious Leonardo Da Vinci wanna be found the secret to eternal life and hid it in a tomb in China.

Is it too much to ask that you avoid spoilers for *other* tv shows when you're in a particular tv show thread? Yes, even saying that the final season sucked and the finale didn't provide any answers is a spoiler.

Jack Bristow > Jack Bauer

:)

Alias spoiler below

They left all kinds of loose ends on Alias which utterly pissed me off. Not to mention what they did to Mama Derevko--making her a one-dimensional villain. Booo.

I have more faith in Lost. I'm not at all disappointed with how the show has turned out. I'm glad they're going down the severe supernatural path here. So many shows puss out in the face of something beyond reality, assuming the fans will piss their pants if they're forced to extend their imaginations a little.

I still think Jin is alive. :)

Not to mention what they did to Mama Derevko--making her a one-dimensional villain. Booo.

Yeah, that was the worst crime :( She was probably my favorite character on the show, I was really pissed at her sudden development in the finale, especially since the previous episodes she was in never hinted at this. Totally came out of the blue. Still, I watched all of Alias only last year, so it was pretty clear from the start they're making up everything on the spot. With Lost, there were at least Darlton's comments about "having a plan since season 3" or something... So yeah. Still, nothing will beat BSG finale disappointment, even Lost. I like it a lot, but I never had an emotional connection with this show like I had with BSG's first two seasons.

Guest Raidne

Is it too much to ask that you avoid spoilers for *other* tv shows when you're in a particular tv show thread? Yes, even saying that the final season sucked and the finale didn't provide any answers is a spoiler.

IMO, the Alias spoilers here are WAY beyond that. Just put lady narc (and maybe JQ) on ignore until somebody does something about it.

So, did we cover sufficiently in the old thread how the moment where they revealed the cave people complete with flashbacks was the most sophmoric, groan-inducing footage I have EVER, EVER, EVER seen on lost? I had to cover my eyes from the embarassment as if I was watching Three's Company or Everybody Loves Raymond.

LIKE WE WOULDN'T HAVE KNOWN THEY WERE THE CAVE PEOPLE WITHOUT THE FASHBACKS? Remember when Lost used to assume the fans weren't slavering idiots that wanted the answer to everything delivered on a (very cheaply executed) silver platter?

I don't think it's that insane to talk about a show that has been over for 5 years. I'll stop talking about it for now, but let's not get all in a huff about it.

well, the last ep destroyed Lost's only chance for redemption, since it conclusively revealed that Smokey is neither

a: a Shoggoth,

nor

b: Randall Flagg.

something that is really really bothering me: even in the last episode, when Randy "Shoggoth" Flagg was talking about harnessing the Leprechaun Cave for it's powers via a large wheel, Lindelof et al have started teasing us by momentarily bringing back the show's original great premise: WEIRD SCIENCE.

instead, we are going to get some magic-fueled orgy o' destiny in the finale, when we should have seen Dharma complete its earthquake machine, or its serum to create immortal orangutans, or whatever the fuck else was originally going to make the show worth watching.

There really does need to be a statute of limitations on spoilers.

I mean when is it ok to say that Darth is Lukes father, The Crying Game chick has a weiner, or Bruce Willis is dead?

Guest Raidne

You know, I really don't know. :) But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't just post, say, the ending of The Sopranos, or go off about McNulty's actions in the last season of The Wire.

I can't tell if I generally liked this episode or not, I'm so put off by the stupid use of stock footage. It was even worse as "Oh, that's what the voices are?"

I mean, if you have so much contempt for the audience wanting to know the answers to those things, why make up the mystery in the first place???

They probably just figured that a mystery that hasn't been seen or mentioned in over 6 years might, you know, need some referencing.

Hurley and Jack went through that cave with Adam and Eve earlier this season on their way to the lighthouse or was it the Blackrock...

Guest Raidne

They probably just figured that a mystery that hasn't been seen or mentioned in over 6 years might, you know, need some referencing.

No. This is one of the key differences between good TV and bad TV. The Wire dropped in all kinds of things that you'd only notice on repeat viewings, and that was great. I can't imagine what it would have been like if characters had said things like "OMG Presbo, isn't that so-and-so from back in the day?" or, even worse actually inserted a flashback from the last time that character had been on the show. *shivers*

No. This is one of the key differences between good TV and bad TV. The Wire dropped in all kinds of things that you'd only notice on repeat viewings, and that was great. I can't imagine what it would have been like if characters had said things like "OMG Presbo, isn't that so-and-so from back in the day?" or, even worse actually inserted a flashback from the last time that character had been on the show. *shivers*

Those are really different levels of "remember when" though.

And also different levels of shows.

I don't mind Lost doing some hand-holding occasionally, especially when they do it to tie in an episode that would otherwise have no main cast in it with the main cast.

Archived