Lost Season 6 Thread - The Final Countdown

Mya Stone

You know, I really don't know. :) But I'm pretty sure I wouldn't just post, say, the ending of The Sopranos, or go off about McNulty's actions in the last season of The Wire.

I can't tell if I generally liked this episode or not, I'm so put off by the stupid use of stock footage. It was even worse as "Oh, that's what the voices are?"

I mean, if you have so much contempt for the audience wanting to know the answers to those things, why make up the mystery in the first place???

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that people didn't do it on purpose or intentionally. But, maybe it's just me . . . :rolleyes:

Guest Raidne

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that people didn't do it on purpose or intentionally. But, maybe it's just me . . . :rolleyes:

Well, hello there Ms. Defensive. Nobody said you did. Personally, I've seen the ending of Alias, so it's not bothering me any. Just giving my opinion and/or method for coping. I suppose, in the end, I'm just being a White Knight. :)

If, on the other hand, you meant that the writers of Lost did not intentionally suck up the show and condescend to the audience, well, then we're going to have words.

Not defensive at all. I stated that I honestly don't think people are trying to purposely ruin shows with spoilers and some folks (like me) just had a moment of forgetfulness. But, being told to just ignore folks who slipped up instead of actually saying, "hey, please don't forget the spoilers," just makes no sense to me. Sometimes a polite reminder can go a long way, but then I forget where I am . . . and I have to remind myself that I expect no amount of courtesy on this board (or any internet forum for that matter).

I have no idea what the writer's intentions were on Lost. What matters to me is if I'm getting my "money's worth" when it comes to what I watch. I don't go into the program saying, "Ok, I'm reading for my weekly Shakespeare here." I go in knowing I'm going to get some mindless (or perhaps mindful) fun.

I have no idea what the writer's intentions were on Lost. What matters to me is if I'm getting my "money's worth" when it comes to what I watch. I don't go into the program saying, "Ok, I'm reading for my weekly Shakespeare here." I go in knowing I'm going to get some mindless (or perhaps mindful) fun.

Perhaps you should use a better analogy than Shakespeare. I think mindless fun describes his plays pretty well.

Anyhow! After some time to cool off, I do agree that I probably overreacted after seeing the episode. That's not to say it was a good bit (it most certainly wasn't) but I probably had my expectations far to high, even after seeing that they couldn't pull it off with Ab Aeterno. It did do that nice bit of giving me sympathy for the MiB, who I've long supported in the white stone versus black stone debate, as well as giving a bare amount of depth to the conflict besides "I want to leave the island and you won't let me." Just a sliver. I guess Darlton stating that "The Candidate" was meant to show the MiB was flat out evil was a red herring, since all I can think of now is that Jacob's a little bitch and probably shouldn't have murdered his brother.

Raids, I think the reason they did it was to show that Jacob, Mother's, and the MIB's story has direct significance to the Losties' lives. They were trying to show us a connection, a link. The story is coming full circle.

Do I think it was done well? Ehh...I could have done without it...but I appreciated the meaning.

So I gave up Lost somewhere in the second season, and I figured I'd use this thread to catch up.. but you're not talking about Lost! What gives! Do we have an answer wtf the polar bear was doing there?

No. This is one of the key differences between good TV and bad TV. The Wire dropped in all kinds of things that you'd only notice on repeat viewings, and that was great. I can't imagine what it would have been like if characters had said things like "OMG Presbo, isn't that so-and-so from back in the day?" or, even worse actually inserted a flashback from the last time that character had been on the show. *shivers*

Yeah the flashback (well, flash forward, or whatever) annoyed me as well, particularly since in the past, Lost hasn't really gone out of it's way to give the audience notice when answering mysteries (like the "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" polar bear explanation)

Yeah the flashback (well, flash forward, or whatever) annoyed me as well, particularly since in the past, Lost hasn't really gone out of it's way to give the audience notice when answering mysteries (like the "blink-and-you'll-miss-it" polar bear explanation)

Braids -

You don't think that the juxtaposition of where Jack and Locke are now compared to in Season 1 is interesting to note?

They are both incredibly connected to those bodies. (Even Kate might, if you go with the whole "Aaron was raised by another" storyline and compare her to OtherMother, who raised Jacob and MIB.)

Locke is now the corporeal form of Adam, Kate is in theory OtherMother, and Jack is Jacob.

Man, I sound like a fan girl...I don't mean it that way. But I do find it fascinating (even if a complete retcon) how these characters are fully intertwined in the Island's distant past and present.

I think that's reaching more than a little bit. Especially since Locke always - always - thought the Island was special and wished he could be the guardian of it, Jack only recently came to that conclusion, and yet (unlike MiB) Locke was punished for that desire (instead of MiB being punished for not wanting it). And Kate as any kind of motherly figure is just bizarre.

I think that's reaching more than a little bit. Especially since Locke always - always - thought the Island was special and wished he could be the guardian of it, Jack only recently came to that conclusion, and yet (unlike MiB) Locke was punished for that desire (instead of MiB being punished for not wanting it). And Kate as any kind of motherly figure is just bizarre.

Locke thought HE was special, just as the MIB thought he was special. (I'm not disputing that he thought the Island was special.) You may be able to fanwank that the only reason Locke was special is because the MIB and/or Jacob made him so (he saw the eye of the Island, and it was beautiful; and Eko's final words said to Locke, "You're next.")

Jacob was not put in the position to be the Island's protector until the MIB was no longer viable, much in the same way that Jack was not in the position until Locke was taken out.

I agree that Kate being Motherly is bizarre, but isn't that the point? :P (I actually loved her final scene with Aaron in S5, and thought that she was doing the most maternal thing she could, by possibly sacrificing herself to reunite Aaron and Claire.)

That's the thing though - Locke was never in the position that MiB was in. MiB never, ever wanted to be the protector once he learned the truth. Locke never stopped wanting that, even at the very end, throughout everything.

And Jacob never had the crisis of faith that Jack did either; Jacob always believed in the power of faith, always thought the island deserved to be protected, and only briefly resisted his mother in her wishes (in a really painfully acted scene to watch). Jack...well, he's been really flip-floppy for a while. He was all anti-Locke, then crying about having to get back, then when he gets back he's totally fine with stopping everything and reversing the whole thing, then he's all 'oops, my bad, I think I'll stick around some'. Then he finds out that he's special and flips out again. And now he's all 'yay, I'm special'. At least the MIB has been mercifully consistent.

Hell, I see more parallels with Jack to the Man in Black than I do Locke. I wonder if when he finds out the cost of his staying on the Island he'll once more back out of the whole sticking around deal. There has to be a cost.

I'm still hoping we have the season ending with Jacob being the de facto bad guy of the whole show.

Raids, I think the reason they did it was to show that Jacob, Mother's, and the MIB's story has direct significance to the Losties' lives. They were trying to show us a connection, a link. The story is coming full circle.

Do I think it was done well? Ehh...I could have done without it...but I appreciated the meaning.

I agree with all of this. I think they placed the episode in a bad spot in the season's order. It needed to come earlier.

I've been rewatching season 3...

Damn, this show has been pretty good in the past. Tricia Tanaka Is Dead, Flashes Before Your Eyes, Not In Portland... all better than any episode so far this season. Especially the first two. I just like the first appearance of Richard Alpert, so I said "Not In Portland". Zjelko Ivanek should be hit by a bus every episode.

There needs to be a sitcom like Coupling, but featuring Henry Ian Cusick, Sonya Walger, and Jorge Garcia. Also Enver Gjokaj, but he's not from Lost.

I agree with all of this. I think they placed the episode in a bad spot in the season's order. It needed to come earlier.

I watched it again and it wasn't as bad as I remembered. Like you said - it was in the wrong place. It felt so unsatisfying after the submarine episode. I still have issues with the execution and sloppy story-telling, but am reserving final judgment til it's over.

I mean, that's the problem. This episode had some good ideas and intentions. But they really screwed up the execution. The idea of the light being what needs to be protected provides greater context for the Purge (though I'm unsure why Jacob waited until the 90s to kill off Dharma instead of when they first discovered the wheel and caused the Incident in the 70s), why the island sank in the altverse, why the Others didn't allow Dharma to access certain areas of the island, etc... It makes sense that people in olden times would think of the energy as mystical rather than electromagnetic. But really, cheesy light in the middle of a cave? Really? The Man Without a Name knowing how to manipulate this energy for absolutely no reason? And what would have been a more interesting episode, this origin story or watching how Jacob and the MiB interacted with things like Dharma and the Others, and therefore how they affected the first five seasons of the show? Blah.

Archived