Lost Season 6 Thread - The Final Countdown

Mya Stone

The Man in Black refers to Jacob taking his body in "Ab Aeterno," so I'm not sure if the smoke monster and him are different creatures. The smoke is just the reborn version of the man in black, reincarnated just like Sayid was. I'm pretty sure the Temple was built over the glowing cave, too, given its magic hot tub powers and focal point for the Others.

Not sure how these people came up with the idea of creating a wheel that could harness the power of light and water though (although i'm not sure how anyone does that).

Because MiB is 'special' <_<

Or maybe the ghost of Daniel Faraday appeared to him and told him how to build it. LOL. Hmm or maybe some other person from the island's future stumbled upon it and turned it and accidentally time traveled back to the 23-40AD time and told them how to construct it? With ghosts and time traveling the possibilities for creating impossible donkey wheels are endless!

One thing that I've been thinking about that seems very silly. Ghost Jacob has appeared throughout this season to protect and save the lives of the Candidates. So, he told Hurley to bring Sayid to the Temple hoping that he'd be healed, and he got Hurley and Jack to leave the Temple before the Smoke Attack (though in retrospect, Smokie couldn't have hurt them- inconsistency, or trying to protect them from Sayid?). So why wouldn't he have warned Hurley not to go talk to the Man in Black in the first place, or failing that, to not get on the submarine?

One thing that I've been thinking about that seems very silly. Ghost Jacob has appeared throughout this season to protect and save the lives of the Candidates. So, he told Hurley to bring Sayid to the Temple hoping that he'd be healed, and he got Hurley and Jack to leave the Temple before the Smoke Attack (though in retrospect, Smokie couldn't have hurt them- inconsistency, or trying to protect them from Sayid?). So why wouldn't he have warned Hurley not to go talk to the Man in Black in the first place, or failing that, to not get on the submarine?

Maybe Ghost Jacob isn't Jacob, at all?

It's either because the Sunday is the 23rd, Jack's number, or for sweeps week, and with its extended time they gotta fit it in.

What I don't get is this whole "Candidates just can't die" bit that everyone's picked up. Sure, Smokie couldn't kill them directly, but someone else could. From what I've gathered, a Candidate just can't kill themselves. Not that they just can't die.

I'm thinking that he wanted to protect them from Sayid. Also, I'm pretty sure that his non-involvement when they went to see the MIB was him allowing them the choice...he never stopped Sawyer from teaming up with him, and Sawyer was a Candidate.

And barring sloppy writing, I think I can fanwank the sub having to happen to end the chapters of the candidates who had no more unfinished business on the Island. If I'm correct in reason, Jin was the candidate, not Sun, and he and Sayid both had peace in death - it's my belief that Jacob seeks out broken people as his candidates, but why, I'm not sure of...and Sayid came to terms with who he was (ultimately, a good man), and Jin found Sun, and made his choice to die with the woman he loved, therefore completing his journey.

What I don't get is this whole "Candidates just can't die" bit that everyone's picked up. Sure, Smokie couldn't kill them directly, but someone else could. From what I've gathered, a Candidate just can't kill themselves. Not that they just can't die.

I think that only Candidates can kill each other. They can not die by their own hand, nor be killed by non-candidates. Ever wonder why Jack seemed bullet-proof?

Also, it makes sense that Sayid was shot (and pretty much killed) by Roger Linus, but not any of the other times he'd been shot on the show. I'd bet that all Dharma were also candidates.

What I'm unsure of is if ex-candidates can kill active candidates.

Apparently according to the script, the episode begins in 23 AD. That puts the stuff with the kids (which happened when they were 13) in 36 AD and the last section with them as adults some time post-66 AD (as MiB spent more than 30 years with the settlers).

When did Jesus die again? That's worryingly close to a "god did it".

It's either because the Sunday is the 23rd, Jack's number, or for sweeps week, and with its extended time they gotta fit it in.

Well, that and Brothers and Sisters is done for the year...I think that Desperate Housewives show too...so ABC had a 2 hour block to fill... :P

Well, that and Brothers and Sisters is done for the year...I think that Desperate Housewives show too...so ABC had a 2 hour block to fill... :P

Yeah, the season finales for both shows were this past Sunday. I freely admit to being a fan of both. :)

I'm not sure i follow the logic of moving the series finale of a show to a different timeslot. Is the other time-slot more of a premium for advertising? You would think it would be at a premium anyhow for the end of lost, as i bet a lot of people will tune in just to see how it ends (they'll be very confused if they haven't watched it for a while but i suspect we'll all be a little confused).

If it's to gauge advertising revenue that's a bit pointless too as advertisers can't milk Lost after it's finished.

Yeah, the season finales for both shows were this past Sunday. I freely admit to being a fan of both. :)

Nora, you watch B&S because Sally Field is named, "Nora", right? ;) And tell me you didn't think they were going to "kill off" Rob Lowe in a way that would leave it open for him to come back. I mean, his whole shady givermnment job, I thought he was going undercover...

I'm not sure i follow the logic of moving the series finale of a show to a different timeslot. Is the other time-slot more of a premium for advertising? You would think it would be at a premium anyhow for the end of lost, as i bet a lot of people will tune in just to see how it ends (they'll be very confused if they haven't watched it for a while but i suspect we'll all be a little confused).

If it's to gauge advertising revenue that's a bit pointless too as advertisers can't milk Lost after it's finished.

Not an expert, but I suspect ad dollars are part of it.

It's not an unprecedented thing. Survivor airs on Thursday nights on CBS in the US but the two hour finale is always on a Sunday.

For a blockbuster episode like this, an available Sunday time slot for 2.5 hours on ABC + advertising rates = Super Bowl Sunday like numbers for Lost. I'm assuming ad rates for the final EVER episode for Lost would be at a premium. I'm guessing it'll be very much Super Bowl-like with regards to viewing parties etc.

Plus they won't be going head to head with American Idol at 8pm est. in the first hour. I'm betting that's the biggest reason.

eta: and actually, being on Sunday doesn't requite them bumping Dancing with the Stars. Lost is supposed to be having a recap episode so that's 3 1/2 hours of programming nit including the Jimmy Kimmel Live show following the finale.

I think I also heard that DWtS is bringing back Kate Gosselin next week. The show has dipped since she got voted off. lol

The final ever podcast.

The producers are surprised by the polarising reaction to Across the Sea.

Jacob knocked out MiB and threw him in the river. What happened in the cave happened so, technically, Jacob did not kill MiB, merely set up the situation (unknowingly) that transformed MiB into the smoke monster, so the rules were not broken.

The 'rules' of the Island may be somewhat arbritary, as they are of human creation (presumably referring to Jacob and Mother). I took the inference from that to mean that Mother and Jacob, as the Candidate(s), can change the rules of the Island.

The various water images in the show - in the Temple, in the Cave and more - are connected:

The producers suggest that the Island may have its own circulatory system using the water as a sort of lifeblood.

The tortoise turned up on the beach randomly during filming. Under Hawaiian law, no-one is allowed to touch them. So when the tortoise showed up on the set the film crew couldn't do anything about it, so used it in the shot. It then sauntered off before the rest of the shot was filmed, explaining why it vanished.

well, I feel a Hell of a lot better after this episode. I thought it was fantastic.

wow...Ben Linus. I bet Lady Narcissa was stunned, too. She had heard that there would be no resolution to Ben/Widmore. I'd say that was some resolution. :stunned: So they could kill each other after all but if they did they were out of the game?

One other query I have is Jacob's statement that Kate was crossed out when she became a mother. Does that mean that Jin was the candidate all along?

Finally the side-verse is moving. The concert is going to be a convergence. Jack and Kate should wake each other up. Sayid/Dogen? Shannon?

eta: "I thought he had a God Complex before" might be the best line since "Jack, if you say 'live together, die alone' I'm gonna punch you in your face" :lol:

And Sawyer/Juliet? That'd finish out the island pairings.

I was much happier with this episode. Particularly the Ben/Flocke exhange.

I, of course, had the same question and figured that'd be the answer. :laugh:

But that cut on Jack's neck has me wondering. Especially given that special dagger and Flocke's skill with a knife. (Glad to be rid of Zoey).

Finally, someone give Terry O'Quinn the Emmy. His cold, calculating, manipulative, smile at you while stabbing in the heart performance is even more chilling than Michael Emerson's Ben Evil Incarnate.

My biggest annoyance with this episode didn't stem from what happened, but from what could have happened.

Basically, why the hell couldn't Across the Sea be a campfire story told to our protagonists? Turn What they Died for and Across the Sea into a 2-parter with action in the front and back with the origin story nestled in the middle.

As a standalone episode, Across the Sea was a bland 3rd person story. Without someone telling the tale, there was little excuse for the way it was presented to viewers or the manner in which the answers were provided. It was Team Darlton mythologizing specific details they felt the viewers should see. If instead, Jacob told the Losties the story around that campfire (obviously narration would fade to the actual scenes we saw last week), the story would have felt much more powerful, and I'd be more forgiving of the "answers" we were or were not given, as they would all be passed through the lens of Jacob and the way he confers with the group.

Anyway, sorry for the mini rant.

Archived