Lost Season 6 Thread - The Final Countdown

Mya Stone

As usual, I get pissed at the Losties for not asking enough questions. Jacob's telling you you have to do this job - but why? Because...something very bad will happen. Christ - TONS of very bad things have already happened? Tell us, Egon, what is BAD? I'm a bit fuzzy on this good/bad thing. Would any of you actually ask the damn question?

Because from what I can tell, destroying the island? Not so bad. Stopping Jacob from ruining the lives of countless people so he could prove one is 'good'? Not so bad. And seriously, Jacob - it's not a choice if you basically tell people 'one of you has to do it or horrible things will happen'. What kind of choice is that? That's the same 'choice' you gave Dogen, too. What an asshat.

Y'know, this kind of bothers me too. I can imagine the Jacob/Jack initiation ceremony going something like this (paraphrasing, of course):

JACOB: So, one of you has to succeed me as protector of the island. You have to protect the lit up Darth Vader hole because my brother wants to steal what's in it. If he does, the power will escape, the island will be destroyed, and everyone you know will die. And you'll have to protect the island for an indeterminate time period, but probably a few thousand years at least. You have to decide now. 10... 9... 8....

JACK: I'll do it.

JACOB: That was fast...

SAWYER (whispering to himself): Thank fucking god...

JACK: Okay, so what do I gotta do?

JACOB: Hold on... [Jacob recites "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" under his breath while pouring a handful of water.] Okay, you got a cup?

JACK: As it happens, yes. Right here in my backpack that I've been carrying around obsessively since Season 5. Even when I almost drowned carrying Sawyer to shore after the sub exploded. 'Cause you never know when you might need a cup. [Grins.]

JACOB: Great, 'cause it really would've killed the moment if no one had a cup. Okay, drink this.

JACK drinks.

JACK: Hmm... I don't feel different. Whatever. So, anyway, what exactly happens if the light in the hole gets out? How exactly will everyone die?

JACOB: They'll get the cooties.

JACK punches JACOB in the mouth.

JACK: Douche!

JACOB cries.

JACOB: Mommy!

SAWYER: ROFL! Pwned!

[cut to black]

Well, Rob Lowe had become one of the primary reasons to watch the show. It'll be different next season. You know about, "the plan", right?

Well, yeah, cause he's dreamy. And a good actor. What's "the plan"? Do I want to know?

That they're jumping the story ahead by a year, a la Depserate Housewives...

Wha?? Harrumph. I guess that makes sense, with Justin wanting to go to Haiti and everything...but still. It worked okay but not great for DH and I don't see a real need for it here.

(Sorry for the threadjack! I'm done!)

Wha?? Harrumph. I guess that makes sense, with Justin wanting to go to Haiti and everything...but still. It worked okay but not great for DH and I don't see a real need for it here.

(Sorry for the threadjack! I'm done!)

Is it a threadjack on anything more than a technicality if we're looking for another show to replace the level of discussion that we have with Lost? :P

Alright, who else is thinking of throwing a Lost finale party? I was digging around online and found this:

Dharma Labels!

I'm totally doing this now. Oceanic 815 boarding passes as invites! Plus after 6 Dharma Beers I'll probably really enjoy the finale regardless of the plot. Now I just need to figure out if I have enough plants to make the TV room look islandy enough.

Heh.

Jacob explains: (with a little help from Jack Nicholson)

Son, we live in a world that has [an island], and [that island has] to be guarded by [a man who lives in a foot]. Whose gonna do it? You? …I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for [Jin, Sun, Frank, Ilana, Charlie, Mr. Eko and the rest]... You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know. That [all those deaths], while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that [island], you need me on that [island]... I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to [anyone] who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very [protection] that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you [drink from this cup and learn how to weave.]. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you are entitled to.

Has everyone seen io9's posting of audition clips from Lost? Some wild stuff, like Yunjin Kim auditioning for Kate, all the Kate auditions featuring a scene dealing with Jack having been killed by Smokey (remember, he was intended to be killed right off the bat), a couple different Sawyers -- including Jorge García and Matthew Fox (who played Sawyer like Tom Cruise would have played him, I couldn't help but think -- super-intense. Also, with a very different background).

See here. I gather these are from the DVDs or something. There's also an extra audition that's pretty funny. ;)

See here. I gather these are from the DVDs or something. There's also an extra audition that's pretty funny. ;)

I liked Matthew Fox's Sawyer audition much more than I liked his Jack, and more than I liked Josh Holloway's tape or Dominic Monaghan's. Jorge Garcia was also surprisingly good.

Has everyone seen io9's posting of audition clips from Lost? Some wild stuff, like Yunjin Kim auditioning for Kate, all the Kate auditions featuring a scene dealing with Jack having been killed by Smokey (remember, he was intended to be killed right off the bat), a couple different Sawyers -- including Jorge García and Matthew Fox (who played Sawyer like Tom Cruise would have played him, I couldn't help but think -- super-intense. Also, with a very different background).

I read that Sawyer was the only part that they had written audition scenes for, so they had all the guys try out for him, even the ones they knew they wanted elsewhere (Hurley was always meant to be Jorge Garcia, for example). Also, they liked Yunjin Kim so much that they created the Sun/Jin partnership to showcase her post-audition.

I read that Sawyer was the only part that they had written audition scenes for, so they had all the guys try out for him, even the ones they knew they wanted elsewhere (Hurley was always meant to be Jorge Garcia, for example). Also, they liked Yunjin Kim so much that they created the Sun/Jin partnership to showcase her post-audition.

Here I heard that they liked her so much that they chose change the married couple from German to Korean...but whatever...

Here I heard that they liked her so much that they chose change the married couple from German to Korean...but whatever...

Maybe that was it. I've read so much about this series by now that it all blends together!

Did anybody else go to the Cuse/Lindelof Q&A multicast thing tonight?

Pretty interesting stuff, obviously they couldn't delve into anything covered in the finale, but...really cool, nonetheless.

Yey! Sky HD are showing the Lost Final on Sunday (well monday morning for us) which means I can tape it & watch it Monday morning when the brats have gone to school. It means I will be able to stay away from this thread and Dark UFO and not be seduced by spoilers. :)

Yey! Sky HD are showing the Lost Final on Sunday (well monday morning for us) which means I can tape it & watch it Monday morning when the brats have gone to school. It means I will be able to stay away from this thread and Dark UFO and not be seduced by spoilers. :)

Which brings up a suggestion: Can we start talking about, in thread, how come Sunday night no one should come in here say from about 6pm CST until they see the show if they don't want to hear people talking about it. I'm proposing this because I don't want to have to spend all night Sunday clicking on spoiler tags because somebody might be "spoiled". It's the night of the final episode ever, you come in here to the Lost thread, you'd better expect you're going to see things you don't want to see if you've not watched the finale!

(Or I suppose a brand new thread?) :P

I think here and in the UK they will be streaming the episode "live". So while the hours might not be comfortable, anyone in the Western World who really wants to, can watch it the same time as in the USA.

Ok, one episode to go, and I still have no clue what was up with that Abaddon character. The only thing resembling plausibe is that he was Jacob's plant in Widmore's organization (or, in reality, the actor got a sweetheart gig in Fringe, and really didn't have time for "Lost" nonsense).

I think here and in the UK they will be streaming the episode "live". So while the hours might not be comfortable, anyone in the Western World who really wants to, can watch it the same time as in the USA.

Ok, one episode to go, and I still have no clue what was up with that Abaddon character. The only thing resembling plausibe is that he was Jacob's plant in Widmore's organization (or, in reality, the actor got a sweetheart gig in Fringe, and really didn't have time for "Lost" nonsense).

What's wrong with the explanation we got that he was working for Widmore? Widmore, after all, knew that Locke would eventually go to the island, since he ran into him in the 50s. How he knew that Locke would crash after a walkabout is probably something that will never be resolved.

Which brings up a suggestion: Can we start talking about, in thread, how come Sunday night no one should come in here say from about 6pm CST until they see the show if they don't want to hear people talking about it. I'm proposing this because I don't want to have to spend all night Sunday clicking on spoiler tags because somebody might be "spoiled". It's the night of the final episode ever, you come in here to the Lost thread, you'd better expect you're going to see things you don't want to see if you've not watched the finale!

Agreed. I'm on the Pacific coast, and I'm used to avoiding this thread for a few hours until I've had a chance to watch the episode air in my timezone.

That's what I do anyway, seeing as I get Lost two days after everyone else.

A friend of mine watched the audition tapes and thought that Jorge Garcia did an awesome job as Sawyer, and that they should've made a character who was the head of a mafia for him.

I still think Matthew Fox's "I'm this close to snapping and killing everyone around me" Sawyer would've been awesomer than Jack.

Archived