Lost Season 6 Thread - The Final Countdown

Mya Stone

Lots to like about this episode. They were kind of pushing Hurley on us as a possible protector earlier this season, but in the end, only Jack makes sense. I did like that when Jack drank the water, he seemed to gain some understanding or insight - something that Jacob lacked visually when we saw him perform the ceremony with his mom. I can accept that the ceremony grants some mystical understanding - but you have to show that to us :P Perhaps you can't even begin to understand what this is all truly about and what the stakes are until you become the protector - they haven't bothered to tell us because it is unknowable to us, the unenlightened masses. (I'm still a little disappointed with the story-telling aspects of Across the Sea, but have mostly let it go and am willing to see if they give us more.)

It sounded to me like both Jin and Sun were candidates. I know most people think it was Jin because Sun was a mother, and that is the reason Kate was eliminated, but I don't buy that. Being a mother is not more important than being a father. Whichever one of them was the candidate (or perhaps both) should have been crossed out for the very same reason.

Ben, Ben, Ben - please don't blow your whole redemption now. I too am hoping he is playing along with Smokey for now just for his survival. Killing Widmore was pure Ben - redeemed or not. I didn't like that Widmore and Zoe were taken out so abruptly. They invested some time into introducing a new character and bringing back an interesting, mysterious adversary to do practically nothing with them. Ben's line was very good, though - the only thing I did like about that whole thing. Apparently it's not against the rules for Ben to kill him now? And go go Alt Ben - I was spoiled for that budding romance, but damn it was fun to see :) He gets Alex back! Dr. Linus freaking rocks. And I love that in either world, he can take a punch like a champ.

Richard - I'm not sure he's dead, but I wouldn't be surprised either way. Perhaps his immortality ends with Jacob, perhaps not, but either way, his job and arc is kind of done. Perhaps Jack takes on another 'Richard' (Hurley?), but I can't see Richard continuing to do what he's been doing.

Sawyer needed a big hug when he realized Jack was right about the bomb. I love that man. (Sawyer that is, although I have liked Jack this season - weird)

Altverse is what I'm really interested in right now, and why it is important. Everyone will be at that concert somehow - everyone! I do like Mya's idea that it is the shindig Eloise was planning, that gets her there too. I don't have any ideas and don't care to speculate because I will find out soon enough :D. Yay! and awww :crying:.

By the way - there are several people I am hoping to have a happy end (all of them, really) but most of all Penny and Des. They are probably the only ones that I am rooting for to have their real-world ending. It would make me sad to think that they missed out on any part of their epic love story. I mean come on - the phone call in The Constant? You want them to not remember how much love they felt at that point?

Oh, and my prediction for how it ends? Everyone dies. Seriously. Desmond does his 'failsafe' thing (I'm guessing it's sending him into the Golden Vagina Cave, and instead of being Smokerised, it's like ... I dunno, matter and anti-matter or something) and the Island goes all Explodey and sinks. The cycle is broken. no more need for protectors and stuff.

Then, um, everyone gets ressurected. For some reason. In Sideways World. And it's Desmond's job to get them all together so they can have a big party, Return of the Jedi Ewok Village style. Because Desmond might be the failsafe right now, but in Sideways World he's actually Head of the Party Planning Committee.

Oh, and my prediction for how it ends? Everyone dies. Seriously. Desmond does his 'failsafe' thing (I'm guessing it's sending him into the Golden Vagina Cave, and instead of being Smokerised, it's like ... I dunno, matter and anti-matter or something) and the Island goes all Explodey and sinks. The cycle is broken. no more need for protectors and stuff.

Then, um, everyone gets ressurected. For some reason. In Sideways World. And it's Desmond's job to get them all together so they can have a big party, Return of the Jedi Ewok Village style. Because Desmond might be the failsafe right now, but in Sideways World he's actually Head of the Party Planning Committee.

I hope it goes out Labyrinth-style. Jack is playing Sara, staring into some pool, waxing on about how he needs them, all of them. And he sees Kate and Juliet and even Sawyer...and, should he need them...

And then they play Scrabble.

I liked this episode. The end seemed to give away what side Ben was on though. Ben agreed to help Flocke because he was going to get to take over the island. Now, Flocke is going to destroy the island, so Ben clearly won't be aiding him anymore. At least, it seems that way to me.

Great episode though. I found myself having the same "Please, just answer some of the questions!" thought this week as last week, but this time around it panned out. Looking forward to the finale. Not sure when I'll get to watch it, after the discussion dies down a bit, I imagine.

That hand't occured to me but it really makes sense. Jack's son has those bright blue eyes. Juliet= bright blue eyes.

I have no clue what Ben's game is. But giving Miles the radio seems to have some kind of agenda. The fan in me wants him to doublecross Locke for the island. The realist is that Ben has chosen self-preservation.

Why do I also now suspect that the Juliet of the altverse wil somehow need to trigger some sort of effect too?

And what's up with Miles? I was so confused. Did I miss that he was running out of the house? I thought he went into Ben's closet too...that there was a tunnel or something...I got lost (no pun intended there) for a moment...

So....is my crush Richard dead?

Anyone?

Loved this episode. Loved the inside joke about Kate becoming a mother taking her off Jacob's list (because really, his experience with mothers on the Island, not so good). Loved Sawyer's God complex line, loved the reverse on the sew up moment from the Pilot, love that Desmond is the fail safe...(speaking of which, who's got $20 on Rose and Bernard helping him out of the well - Vincent could totally have been Lassie in this instance), loved the Sideways. (I miss Sayid, dammit.)

Of course Richard isn't dead.

And at least now we seem to also have the explanation, or a sort of explanation, why there was so much trouble with women having babies on the island. If they were candidates and with child, but didn't leave the island, they died. It almost seems like it's one of those arbitrary rules of Jacob's to avoid another situation similar to how he and his brother came into the world and to the island...

Though once again, the Jacob appearance seems contrived. "Hey guys, I'll come to Hurley to tell you to leave the temple, and I'll come hang out with everyone now, but we sure as hell couldn't have had this conversation 3 episodes ago and saved Jin, Sun, Sayid and Frank! Nosir!" And umm, Jacob, you might want to wait till after your successor has been chosen before burning your ashes.

Still an awesome episode.

While that's true, it seems like the story has a specific timetable that Jacob has followed. Mind you, such a timetable is only there to create dramatic tension...would it really go down like this in the real world?

So Jack woke up in the bamboo because he's a candidate and it's closer to the Pot o' Gold? WTF is that?

Total co-inky-dink. It gives the character, and the viewers, a point of reference for the place rather than some other random spot in the island.

And what's up with Miles? I was so confused. Did I miss that he was running out of the house? I thought he went into Ben's closet too...that there was a tunnel or something...I got lost (no pun intended there) for a moment...

He said that he would try to escape through the jungle, then Ben gave him one of the walkie-talkies.

Vagueish comments from a Nestor Carbonell interview:

Carbonell said that he was very happy with how Richard's storyline was resolved. I somehow doubt that he's referring to getting pummeled by Smokie, so I think it's safe to say we'll see him next episode.

Also, I liked how this episode implied (through Ben shooting Widmore) that the rules can be more of a gentleman's agreement/similar to a law, in that you can break it but might get punished if you do, and don't actually prohibit you from doing something. One area where the show loses me to silliness is when we get stuff like Michael actually being unable to kill himself or only certain people being able to harm the Candidates.

I appreciated the return of the Oceanic 815 music at the beginning of the episode- perfectly fitting. I also love the Desmond flash sideways theme.

One thing I'm confused about: Did Jacob tell Widmore to use Desmond as a fail-safe to sink the island? Or is that just one way he can be used, which the MiB intends to use him for? Because if Jacob is trying to protect the light, wouldn't sinking the island be a bit counter-productive?

I'd expect he was referring to Richard's episode. His plotline was done before this last episode, that just made it final.

Nope, that quotation is in direct reference to someone asking him about the finale.

Guest Raidne

I just kept thinking that there, around the camp fire, Locke would have been bouncing in his seat with his hand raised being all "Oooh! Oooh! Pick me! Pick me!" Which I guess is why MiB went after Locke. Whereas, if you were Jacob, wouldn't you be so annoyed with Jack? "So yeah, I just brought you guys here so one of you could take over the job. Then you had to (1) go on a big crusade to take all my candidates away, (2) give me some hope by seeing the light and wanting to come back, and (3) then, again, trying to BLOW UP the entire island to make it so you were never here in the first place? Jesus, man, can't you see your own contradictions?"

I mean, really, we better hear at some point what was so flawed about Locke that Jacob couldn't just walk up to him the first day they landed and tell him he's Neo.

There were some pretty funny lines last night.

Locke to Ben - "I heard there was an 'incident' in the parking lot."

Rousseau to Ben - "You'll come over for dinner, even if we have to kidnap you!"

I'm disappointed by the show, but I still get a kick out of silly references like that.

Am I the only one who is planning to watch this show from go-to-whoa after the finale? After six years there has been so much detail that has leaked through my porous brain. I'm basically down to watching every episode for the sake of it and then gleaning what little insight I can from it with relation to other episodes. I'll leave the analysis for those of you with memories.

Ben, Ben, Ben - please don't blow your whole redemption now. I too am hoping he is playing along with Smokey for now just for his survival.

Perhaps Flocke has some of Locke's gullibility, if some of that personality is seeping through, which will be critical in allowing Ben or Sawyer or anyone else to succeed in conning him.

I enjoyed that episode. They really seem to be winnowing the cast down.

Also, Desmond is now just hilarious to watch. I can't believe no one has mentioned him. I love his completely calm attitude. "Yeah, we're breaking out of this police wagon. Then you and me, we're going to a concert, put on this dress.".

A couple of thoughts:

1) Like Mya, I woke up this morning and my first thought was "Hey, I bet Ben had the radio on or some such and is sending Miles back to read dead Widmore's mind and find out what he knows".

2) I think, while Ben may double-cross Smokey in the end, right now he could go either way. He's doing the usual Ben thing and making sure he's safe whatever goes down.

3) I wonder, was Widmore in the end (before Jacob talked him out of it) trying to come back to "use" the Light, which is bad apparently? I hope we get some more resolution on this.

Also on Richard. I'll be annoyed if his resolution is going out like a chump.

4) Sideways: Did Jack cut himself on the neck in the Sub disaster? Is that why Sideways Jack has that cut?

As for Sideways being kind of ... pat, I think that's the point. It's like a fake universe. A veneer. And I'm wondering if the whole purpose of it is actually a prison of sorts for Smokey. It's like that TNG episode with Moriarty. Let him out and contain him in a sort of "fake" universe.

Fun episode. Agree on Desmond. I had to smile at his sheer chutzpah, walking in there, giving himself up ... and there's Sayid and Kate in the only police station in all of Los Angeles (sort of like how Jack's the only spinal surgeon!)

I do have to say, I was really surprised with Ana Lucia turning out to be a dirty cop in this time line. Not the sort of return to the character that I had expected. Killing a criminal who caused you to miscarry is morally pretty dark, but it's not the cold-blooded bribe-taking that we see here. Her life must have been for the worse in the sideways.

Don't for a moment believe that that was the last of Richard Alpert.

I want to believe that Ben killed Widemore to keep him from telling Flocke the secret. I want to believe he just didn't turn evil (again) and the "You said there were more people to kill" is just an act. I want to believe...

:)

And there is no way that Richard is dead.

I do have to say, I was really surprised with Ana Lucia turning out to be a dirty cop in this time line. Not the sort of return to the character that I had expected. Killing a criminal who caused you to miscarry is morally pretty dark, but it's not the cold-blooded bribe-taking that we see here. Her life must have been for the worse in the sideways.

Yeah that surprised me as well. And when Desmond made that comment about her not being ready yet...well it made me wonder if she was ever going to be ready in the final 2-1/2 hours or if Ana Lucia is going to end up being the Susan Pevensie of the Lost universe.

Well, not everyone in the sideverse are "good". Keamy and Arab friend, Mikhail...there was even a mention of a Danny that I'm pretty sure was the Danny/Other that Juliet killed in season 3.

Sayid as well was still a killer.

eta: Mikhail was referred to as "Danny's friend" which indicated Danny was also a criminal.

But ... on the island, Keamy was a thuggish mercenary and Mikhail was a homicidal villain. Ana Lucia killed someone who nearly killed her and made her lose her child, not quite the same thing. I suppose being a dirty cop is better than being a thuggish gangster or hardened criminal, so... maybe that works. But it feels disproportionate.

It feels incidental to me. Ana-Lucia was used as a device and a throwaway, because the plot needed it. That's all. I wouldn't read too much more into it than that.

As usual, I get pissed at the Losties for not asking enough questions. Jacob's telling you you have to do this job - but why? Because...something very bad will happen. Christ - TONS of very bad things have already happened? Tell us, Egon, what is BAD? I'm a bit fuzzy on this good/bad thing. Would any of you actually ask the damn question?

Because from what I can tell, destroying the island? Not so bad. Stopping Jacob from ruining the lives of countless people so he could prove one is 'good'? Not so bad. And seriously, Jacob - it's not a choice if you basically tell people 'one of you has to do it or horrible things will happen'. What kind of choice is that? That's the same 'choice' you gave Dogen, too. What an asshat.

I did like the episode in general. It had good character moments, interesting resolutions to existing plots (like the Ben/Widmore resolution), clarifications of bits and the sideways seemed to be moving somewhat forward, though I could have done with less Ben & Danielle having a romance. Seriously...how squicky is that? Yay, Ben gets romantic with the mother of a child he actually abducted...aw. Truly, love is the answer. Sawyer did a good job of being penitent and snarky, Kate didn't annoy nearly as much, and Locke was great in both roles.

Archived