Prejudice against Geeks/Nerds

Lyanna Stark

What I'm getting from peterbound is this: he seems proud to have aligned himself with the geek-hating bullies, the ones who would have beaten us* up in school, but he is still too scared to tell them about his own reading habits and so has to demean himself by associating with we lowly outcasts. However, just in case he gets spotted by his real friends, he has to establish himself at the top of the pecking order by flaunting his true jock credentials, so we all know our place and accord him the proper respect.

Not in fucking primary school any more, dude. Grow the fuck up and play nice, cos you're in our territory now.

*by "us" I mean the gentlemen of the board, as for some reason, despite the large female population here, he still appears to think geek=male. I'm afraid I will never be among those elite who have spent $800 on a hooker. :crying:

You know, for someone that is so against "internet advice", he sure does like to share an awful lot about himself in order to prove how cool he is to people on a message board.

:lol: This.

I was going to say That Petey sure posts a lot of private information on a message board full of strangers.

But then maybe I'm just from a different world.

Planet Australia, Where the creatures are violent and deadly. Poo cubes and have their own pockets.

So his contradictory behaviour would seem odd to me.

And some of us have spent years vying to get Stego to notice them. To have him throw out his stoic quips at high velocity. To feel the awesome sting of his displeasure. And Petey wanders in.... :crying: I hate you Petey. Though you do get a point for your use of the word nary

And some of us have spent years vying to get Stego to notice them. To have him throw out his stoic quips at high velocity. To feel the awesome sting of his displeasure. And Petey wanders in.... :crying: I hate you Petey. Though you do get a point for your use of the word nary

I was surprised that comments like 'the military doesn't like geeks' didn't draw him forth sooner.

Side note for Airman Peterbound: Only half of the prolific former and current military (or Marine) posters have even weighed in on this thread. Be advised. You are surrounded. And you're no paratrooper.

I was surprised that comments like 'the military doesn't like geeks' didn't draw him forth sooner.

I read the first page when it started and I basically agreed with everything Lyanna said, so I felt no need to come back to it.

Then Chataya emailed me about it. :P

If geeks are so disliked in the military I should have some fun when I join. :lol: Especially if I become an officer and end up out-ranking many of them.

Guess how often new officers are hazed by enlisted. Just guess.

Ahhh... Of course!

So, like.... Furries... basically?

;)

Hell no, LARPers and Trekkies are still way above furries on any scale at any given time. LARPers are normally nice if a bit nuts, but Furries...

fairly Safe for Work link: Furries

:stunned:

Does that mean something different in America?

I imagine so. Pollywogs. Frog larvae.

What?

U.S. Navy hazing initiation ceremony for crossing the equator. Officers are not dis-included from the humiliation.

Pollywogs. Baby frogs. He shortened it; probably not knowing what it means as a slur.

Oh, I know it wouldn't have been intentional. But over here it's short for golliwogs, and is a nasty racial insult. Bones's knowledge of British slang is clearly less encyclopedic than I'd thought. ;)

(PS. Ran, can we get the old smileys back please? These new ones are awful.)

Archived