Prejudice against Geeks/Nerds

Lyanna Stark

Funnily enough, my roomate is quite into the whole role-play community. We have a weekly D&D meeting at our apartment (I'm a human Pursuit Avenger called Maric), and he organizes LARP's every now and then. He had one just last week. I think you're not looking hard enough. :P

Where does one look, exactly? (yes, I know, i'm in the wrong half of the university) Theres a moribund website and I suppose word of mouth, but heres the catch - us anti social types are bad at pickinng up the word of the mouth! (too busy reading or something.)

Where does one look, exactly? (yes, I know, i'm in the wrong half of the university) Theres a moribund website and I suppose word of mouth, but heres the catch - us anti social types are bad at pickinng up the word of the mouth! (too busy reading or something.)

It being uni there's probably a Larping society so just go to the fairs they have or ask someone at the jcr or student union, I assume they register that sort of thing. ETA: Uni is the only time I've ever seen anyone do anything like that so if you want to do it that's probably a prime opportunity.

I dunno, I've found in the past that a lot of people will have opinions on a lot of things. I've had extensive chats with other female gamers for instance, and their families (and mine) have been....well, let's just call it "less understanding".

Going to Cons as a woman can also get you lots of negative comments in the vein of "but what if they are all axe murderers there?".

For some reason the popular perception is that a night out on the town meeting random drunk/high people in clubs and pubs is SAFER than going to a Con. Rock festivals seem to be somewhere in between (I've been to quite a few of those as well). It's interesting since Cons and actually Rock festivals as well are generally pretty safe. You might get some stuff nicked at a rock festival and you may get frightened by the Scottish klingons at a Con, but a night out among drunks? Even in the small town where I grew up there were always fights, once a man got stabbed and drugging people's drinks weren't unheard of.

In essence, I think a lot of people have perceptions about Nerds, Geeks, Cons etc that are far away from the actual reality.

I think this article calls this theory into question:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc-2010-hall-h-stabbing-100724.html

I think this article calls this theory into question:

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/sdcc-2010-hall-h-stabbing-100724.html

From your own article:

"the injuries were unknown but described as "non-life threatening and somewhat minor."

Cos he got stabbed by a PENCIL.

I can only assume you were trying to be funny, but failed.

Well sure. If surrounded by zombies. Rounds are precious. But in general practice, double tap is sound advice.

I got to go with Stego on this one.. be like Hathcock, one shot, one kill

And in a large group, just run (only if they are shamblers.. if they are runners, yer fucked)

From your own article:

"the injuries were unknown but described as "non-life threatening and somewhat minor."

Cos he got stabbed by a PENCIL.

I can only assume you were trying to be funny, but failed.

Ya, it was funny, but hey.. the dude got stabbed in the eye by a pencil... that's actually pretty hardcore if you ask me. I've been in plenty of bar fights, and never once was did i think, 'oh shit, i hope this cat doesn't have a pencil'.

and shit, i thought it was funny. Two geeks fighting over a chair, how can you not see the humor in that?

I think what gets looked down upon is a lack of social skills rather than actual interests. I am a total nerd--I rarely read anything besides SFF, I actually READ, I love Final Fantasy, etc. But no one really cares. (Well, my husband teases me, but then again he can explain all the Marvel backstories to me, so that road goes both ways...) So it comes down to a semantics game. People say they hate geeks or whatever, but what they really are belittling are people lacking social skills. A geek who points out to said geek-hater that they like X and Y just makes the geek-hater say "Well, you're not a REAL geek." No true Scotsman.

RE: Getting personal advice on the board

That has little to do with not having friends/family IRL. One, I'm in the military, so the people around me are constantly changing, and I myself am not in a permanent location. This makes it pretty difficult to have a lot of friends at my current geographical location. Also, I'm very young (22), but I am married and more concerned about raising my pet rabbits than which bars are the best to hit. This pretty much rules out getting advice from the people I hang out with. They're more interested in what girl they're going to get back to their place. And there's nothing WRONG with that, it's just not where I'm at in my life right now.

ETA: And as for blue collar types not being nerdy, well, I don't buy it. I work with enlisted people of all types every day, and they run the gamut, just like everyone else. One guy in my division just got a l'cie tattoo on his forearm, which is pretty damn nerdy (and pretty awesome). Some of the guys in my division joust, one makes chain mail. They also own a billion guns and (probably) go to strippers and whatever. People are people, they come in all different types in all different places.

I've known personalities on the Board here for a long time (12 years), and sometimes, it's GREAT to get a bunch of different opinions/advice on certain things that people in your own social circle might not know about, or might be too biased about.

For example, Blaine23 gave me some of the BEST career advice I've ever gotten, when I was mssively upset over my annual review. My boss didn't give a crap about fixing the issue, he just expected me to fix the issue. My husband is of the same frame of reference I have - sure, we're not good with people, we're accountants, what do you expect?

But Blaine recommended the life-changing book, "How to Win Friends and Influence People".

Other people, including people I'd met in person (who I won't name, to protect their privacy), e-mailed me with excellent advice, also. For example, things about their first impressions on meeting me, that obviously, my family and friends would be too biased about or oblivious to...but knowing how this one person felt, I was able to apply that knowledge and use it. It was extremely helpful, and I couldn't have gotten that advice anywhere but from here.

Advice, by the way, is different that something that needs a trained professional to deal with. Clearly, if someone wants to know if their resume is great or sucks, or if they are down because their cat died, that's way different from someone needing help for clinical depression.

Awwwww. Thanks Chats. Seriously, that was a really nice thing to say. That book, though dated, is clearly still working wonders. :)

Funny enough, I've never really turned to the board for advice - mainly because I haven't really needed it (yet). That said, just participating in discussions and whatnot with folks here and there for over 10 years has sort of seeped in to all sorts of things. Whether it's getting sailboat advice with Timmet, or listening carefully as the lawyers on the board explain things I'm too dim to pick up or picking up on etiquette from Chats - I know several people on this board I could go directly to for advice, if I need it. And I have, occasionally.

I'm just not much of a general advice asker. "Hey what does everyone think about this?" isn't how my brain works. I get enough focus group think from my day job.

I think what gets looked down upon is a lack of social skills rather than actual interests. I am a total nerd--I rarely read anything besides SFF, I actually READ, I love Final Fantasy, etc. But no one really cares. (Well, my husband teases me, but then again he can explain all the Marvel backstories to me, so that road goes both ways...) So it comes down to a semantics game. People say they hate geeks or whatever, but what they really are belittling are people lacking social skills. A geek who points out to said geek-hater that they like X and Y just makes the geek-hater say "Well, you're not a REAL geek." No true Scotsman.

RE: Getting personal advice on the board

That has little to do with not having friends/family IRL. One, I'm in the military, so the people around me are constantly changing, and I myself am not in a permanent location. This makes it pretty difficult to have a lot of friends at my current geographical location. Also, I'm very young (22), but I am married and more concerned about raising my pet rabbits than which bars are the best to hit. This pretty much rules out getting advice from the people I hang out with. They're more interested in what girl they're going to get back to their place. And there's nothing WRONG with that, it's just not where I'm at in my life right now.

ETA: And as for blue collar types not being nerdy, well, I don't buy it. I work with enlisted people of all types every day, and they run the gamut, just like everyone else. One guy in my division just got a l'cie tattoo on his forearm, which is pretty damn nerdy (and pretty awesome). Some of the guys in my division joust, one makes chain mail. They also own a billion guns and (probably) go to strippers and whatever. People are people, they come in all different types in all different places.

the question begs to be asked as to what their AFSC/Rate/MOS is? Surely we call all agree that not all 'enlisted' jobs are blue collar. Although that you assume so makes me think you're an officer.

I've given some thought to my blue collar not being nerd theory, and many of the cats i knew when i was younger were a little less affluent, yet did partake in geek activities. Maybe i'll change blue collar jobs in that theory to jobs that are considered 'masculine' (cue the gender stratification argument)

the question begs to be asked as to what their AFSC/Rate/MOS is? Surely we call all agree that not all 'enlisted' jobs are blue collar. Although that you assume so makes me think you're an officer.

I've given some thought to my blue collar not being nerd theory, and many of the cats i knew when i was younger were a little less affluent, yet did partake in geek activities. Maybe i'll change blue collar jobs in that theory to jobs that are considered 'masculine' (cue the gender stratification argument)

I would consider a Marine, SSgt infantry, 0311/0351 to be pretty masculine. His teenage goal was to enter the Marines, be in the Infantry, and be a lifer, so it's not like it was his only choice, or a way to pay for college. He loves Star Wars,LOTR, Ren Faires (dresses in costume for them) has Priates of the Carribean and LOTR Monopoly, has spent tons on strippers, wore a black leather trench coat in HS, and vampire fangs.

Generalize that, if you can.

Meh. I had a friend back in high school who was the biggest geek you'd ever find, crazy into Magic: The Gathering for instance, and last I heard he still was; but his job of choice? After high school instead of college he went off to work in a coal mine, can't get more 'masculine' then that. He also knocked up a girl at 19 and had a shotgun wedding.

So, ya know, try not to stereotype.

In a Physics class during my last year at school the teacher (who was a bit mental) asked a guy called Kieran how to spell his name, from which the following discussion ensued:

Teacher: How do you spell Kieran?

Kieran: With a P.

*teacher writes Perian on the board*

Me: Perian is actually elvish for 'Hobbit'.

*cue tons of abuse directed at me*

A person: Oh my god.

Another: You're such a geek.

Another: Phil, are you like that guy in Rock School who can speak Elvish?

Me: No, I've read Lord of the Rings about five times.

Teacher: Wo-wo-wo guys. You see, Philip's going to be a Physics teacher. Physics teachers love facts like that.

Aye right. I'm crap at Physics, and I would hate to be a teacher.

Meh. I had a friend back in high school who was the biggest geek you'd ever find, crazy into Magic: The Gathering for instance, and last I heard he still was; but his job of choice? After high school instead of college he went off to work in a coal mine, can't get more 'masculine' then that. He also knocked up a girl at 19 and had a shotgun wedding.

So, ya know, try not to stereotype.

I'd lay the coal mining on social demographic issues, not so much as a choice in employment. Same thing in my home town. Had i not joined the military i'd be working in a copper mine right now. Not due to any geek/non geek leanings, just cus there is nothing else to do

and i love to stereotype, makes for good conversations

Ah, we're getting closer to the meat of the matter. ;) But surely we should just cut to the chase and go for 'geeks aren't manly'? :P

I would consider a Marine, SSgt infantry, 0311/0351 to be pretty masculine. His teenage goal was to enter the Marines, be in the Infantry, and be a lifer, so it's not like it was his only choice, or a way to pay for college. He loves Star Wars,LOTR, Ren Faires (dresses in costume for them) has Priates of the Carribean and LOTR Monopoly, has spent tons on strippers, wore a black leather trench coat in HS, and vampire fangs.

Generalize that, if you can.

I will admit your friend is more the exception that the rule (of which i've heard many during this thread). Do this, go ask for a ride along with your local FD or PD, bring up the hobbit, LOTR, Star Wars, ect and see how the conversation goes. The responses will be a lot different than you're use to.

Hey, it's great you guys know geeks/nerds that transverse all walks of life. All i'm saying is that in my world (and the worlds i've traveled in) it's not's as common a phenomenon as you would like to believe.

I will admit your friend is more the exception that the rule (of which i've heard many during this thread). Do this, go ask for a ride along with your local FD or PD, bring up the hobbit, LOTR, Star Wars, ect and see how the conversation goes. The responses will be a lot different than you're use to.

Hey, it's great you guys know geeks/nerds that transverse all walks of life. All i'm saying is that in my world (and the worlds i've traveled in) it's not's as common a phenomenon as you would like to believe.

that or the worlds you've traversed aren't quite as all encompassing as you would like to believe.

This has really got me wondering where you hail from?

And, I think you've hit on something here, it may not be an issue of (insert social label here) view geeks/nerds in a negative light, as much an issue of people who grew up with certain social norms vewing them differently.

For example, I grew up in the midwest. Given that there was not a high population of African American, or Hispanic persons, I NEVER encounted racism in any shape or form. I was rasied to be tolerant, and accepting of everyone, as was the norm, to my understanding, in that area. However, when I moved to supposedly progressive SoCal (married said Marine)I was bombarded with racism from all parties toward all persons.

Perhaps the whole thing is more geological than we think?

I was raised in a small town in AZ. Moved to Phx after high school (well, mesa really). Got drunk and high a lot, lost my job and joined the military. Got stationed in Alaska, then Korea, then Colorado, then England, then back in Colorado. During that time i went all over the US for schools and traveled all over Europe (too many nations to list.. god bless ryanair). After the military i became a private contractor in Iraq and had the opportunity to see most of the middle east to include the UAE. Also got a chance to see some of northern africa (Morocco and Egypt). I'm back in the Springs now (colorado), but i've been around quite a bit.

Wow, i've never really sat down and written that down before. I'm gonna have to pull out my passport and look at the stamps again.

Again, i think it's great you guys know so many geeks that roll into all roads of life. It's just been my experience that the few that do make it into the fields that are consider more 'masculine' are fucked with relentlessly.

Archived