Aussies L

Paxter

Ah, poor old Sydney FC, still yet to register a win after 7 games. My heart bleeds for the cellar-dwelling, sky-blue pensioners :smug:.

@Stubby: Glad to hear that the decking work is mostly done (especially since I didn't receive any last-minute calls to come and help out...).

@Luce: Yeah, I'm loving the extra week of footy. It also dovetails quite well with Day 2 of the first India v Australia test on Saturday :wideeyed:. And the 16th birthday thing doesn't sound all that bad - try attending weekly cricket meetings where we spend an hour debating who's going to win the AFL Grand Final and two hours deciding whether to cap team numbers at 14, 15 or 16...:bang:

did you get to watch it malt?! what were your thoughts?

I'm afraid not - I was up late on Friday so I slept through when it was on, and I haven't been able to find any replays, except for the one on the AFL site which I can't watch because I'm not in Australia.

Ah, poor old Sydney FC, still yet to register a win after 7 games. My heart bleeds for the cellar-dwelling, sky-blue pensioners :smug:.

I'll take it over three losses in a row. :lol: Promising and frustrating stuff, our shit's coming together, but time is running out.

Hands up who loves reinstalling windows?!? Most fun you can possible have. :angry2:

Sorry to Luce and Inquisitor for not getting back to you about the Melb meet. My Computer was down and I missed your messages. Sounds like you all had a great night and I'm jealous I missed it, Grrrrr.

Time for a rant about the greatest game on earth and peoples silly opinions on it.

BEST GRAND FINAL RESULT IMAGINABLE!!!! :lol:

Any result where Collingwood doesn't win is an awesome outcome.

Why on earth doesn't the AFL believe in extra time?

History, it's just the way it is.

Well as far as I know, for any other final there would be extra time, just not the grand final. And I doubt they'll change it any time soon, because of all the extra money it would make. Another 100,000 tickets to sell...I personally think it's a bit of a joke.

Why is it a joke?? It's the way it is and it's been that way forever. Our game is one of the most unique games in the whole world, why should we change tradition just because the rest of the world has extra time??

Not least because the next game is going suck due to all the attrition from the first.

So that attrition wouldn't have been a problem in extra time?? It's the same for both teams and the players just have to suck it up and deal with it.

I just feel sorry for everyone who shelled out for tickets to this final.

I do feel sorry for the one or two average punters who managed to get tickets. But all the corporates who hadn't been to a game all year can go jump in a creek.

As an outside observer, I have to say it's a bit ridiculous that the regular season and every final game has overtime, but the Grand Final doesn't. On top of that, there's no mechanism to force a winner except to have a rematch the following week.

Regular season games don't have overtime. The MIGHTY M.F.C. played Collingwood twice during the year. The first game we lost by under a goal (and should've won). The second game was a draw (I think that means the mighty Dees were good enough to win a flag this year lol).

I hope the replay isn't a flop. You know those guys are going to be absolutely knackered for a few games at least.

I hope it isn't a flop, but as stuffed as all the playrs will be it's the same for both sides.

As a showcase for the game of AFL football it was phenomenal.As a showcase for the administration of AFL football it was deplorable.

History. It's the way it is. If it's a draw in a Grand Final you come back next week and play it again. Knowing the AFL they will have a knee jerk reaction and change the rule, even though the rule has been in place for some 115 odd years and it's only happened 3 times.

agree agree agreecringing thinking about watching the rematch next week.... hope it will be of the same calibre of saturdays match, otherwise it will just feel as if someones been cheated out of a final. so it goes i suppose.

Collingwood can't be cheated. They had their chance and they blew it.

I also don't understand why they don't play extra time. Having said that, it's awesome that we keep to have another week of footy cos you'll recall I was gearing up for post-football blues. And I love all those people who have been saying "can't wait for the season to be over, hate football, blah blah." SUCK IT!I mega-love Lenny Hayes. I always see him as the real St Kilda captain, no offense to Nick, but Lenny delivers at crucial moments. For those who weren't in Melbourne, a massive storm blew over the city about 7 mins after the game finished. The whole thing (draw, flooded rooms, massive storm) truly felt like some sort of apocalypse!And to back it up I had to go to my sister's 16th bday today, completely hung over. Imagine a dozen girls screaming along to Blondie on Guitar Hero. Head hurts.

No extra time. Tradition. I love Ser Lenny, but how did Goddard not win the Norm Smith???

No extra time, keep some tradition Go the Sainters!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Collingwood are evil, and their fans should grow up. That chant during Nick Riewoldt's speech at the grand final parade was an absolute disgrace, have some respect).

Yeah, yeah, keep dreaming Horz. If this is what FC "coming together" looks like, I'd hate to see them "falling apart". Give me 11 points and 3 losses in a row any day of the week over rock-bottom and no wins.

And Bolton still on level terms with ManU? Nice. Hope they hold on (and that Davies scores - would be handy for my fantasy team).

@Malt: Sucks mate. I'd ring Walkabout and ask if they're showing a replay of the game, it's well worth a watch. If all else fails, you've always got the opportunity to try it all over again this Saturday.

@Confalume: You are forgiven for that nonsensical rant, but only because of the palpable anti-Collingwood vibe and the use of the expression "they can go jump in a creek" (which is a personal fave, although I often say "lake" instead of "creek".)

Confalume: You are forgiven for that nonsensical rant, but only because of the palpable anti-Collingwood vibe and the use of the expression "they can go jump in a creek" (which is a personal fave, although I often say "lake" instead of "creek".)

I was raised to hate Collingwood. Geelong are my second team and I went to the prelim final. I had to leave halfway through the third quarter cause I just couldn't stand the Collingwood supporters.

I thought the creek was a nice way of telling them where to go. ;)

Apparently the AFL said that if there is a draw next week then they will play extra time. I agree with you that they shouldn't have a knee-jerk reaction and that sticking to tradition is good, BUT in this day and age we're unfortunately dominated by corporate interests. I read that the Colliwobbles cancelled their best and fairest night this week at the Crown Palladium, and they will have to find a new venue for the rescheduled one because obviously that would be crazy booked out in advance. Think of all the people who would be affected by this and the cost to everyone (except the AFL, of course ... )I don't care personally, but I can see why there'd be calls for change from others.

Funnily enough, we were headed for a draw in netball tonight till our GA got a penalty shot after the siren. We didn't know the scores were tied at the time so he just had a casual shot, and, it bounced on the ring a couple of times, and bounced in. We won by a point! Woot.

And Confalume, shame we didn't catch up with you. Next time, perhaps (or PRAHAPS, as Eddie would say).

Yeah, yeah, keep dreaming Horz. If this is what FC "coming together" looks like, I'd hate to see them "falling apart". Give me 11 points and 3 losses in a row any day of the week over rock-bottom and no wins.

Hahah, did you watch the game? We were all over them in the first half - more than you managed when they popped round a few weeks ago. Cazarine is a name you'll hear commentators shout a lot in the coming weeks, I know whose trajectory I'd rather have right now.

p.s. Avg age of today's starting lineup: 26. Avg age of your side v ADL: 30 (with a grand total of one player south of his 25th birthday). Projecting much? :D

OK, point taken - I'm no fan of Mitchell's recruitment and I agree that our current squad doesn't have much of a long-term future beyond this year. But I still think we can recover from this bad run of results, there's enough quality in the line-up with Robbie, McGarry, Sikora (when fit), Mile and Todd. It's the Toilet Seat or bust for us this season.

@Malt: Sucks mate. I'd ring Walkabout and ask if they're showing a replay of the game, it's well worth a watch. If all else fails, you've always got the opportunity to try it all over again this Saturday.

Change of approach - I found a proxy server to fool the AFL website into thinking I was Australian. That was an impressive game. As a Brit, and therefore a natural supporter of the underdog, I'll be going for St Kilda in the replay (founder member of the league but only won it once? Clear underdog there).

I do have to query the lack of extra time. Looking at, say, the FA Cup in England, they have had final replays in the past, but those were always when the first match was drawn after extra time (and they got rid of the replay rule and changed it to penalty shoot-outs in the mid-90s). A rule like that seems much more sensible than not playing extra time at all.

Tonight my old man gave me the first proper reason to reconsider my position on the AFL replay. I was all for the replay due to history and the fact that it happens about once every forty grand finals. But my old man made a very good point. What if the game involved a non Victorian team???? It would be such a massive disadvantage for an interstate (non Victorian) team to have to travel back home and then back to Melbourne again. Sure they could stay in Melbourne all week but again that is a massive disadvantage. This hasn't been mentioned in the media all week but thats because two Victorian clubs were playing. I was sure the AFL was going to stay staunch and not change the rule, but once they realise this is a possibility they will change the rule straight away. My Dad joked that the replay involving a non Victorian team could be played interstate, but hey, that was just a joke (it will NEVER happen).

WOOT WOOT!!!!! Tool are coming back to Aus!!!!! :wideeyed: :cheers: :drunk: :D

Yeah, I need to decide if I'm gonna go to the BDO for the first time in years or just try and get sideshow tickets (assuming they do them). At least this year the BDO has moved to the 30th in Melbourne so it no longer clashes with my famous Oz Day BBQ. Would be cool to see M.I.A. and Deftones, so far the only other two acts I'd be mildly interested in.

Ablett is on the move.

BTW, I was doing some random reminiscence of old Aussies threads, and I came across this absolute gem of a post from Stubby, circa October 2009:

Outstanding trade by Brisbane to get Fevola IMO.

Although he may be a bit of a drongo, no-one doubts his ability on the ground. Henderson is an acceptable loss. BL now have Brown, Bradshaw and Fevola as a forward line, a trio that accounted for over 220 goals this year.

:smug:

:lol:

That's pure gold right there people; pure, unadalterated gold :thumbsup:. Outstanding trade indeed...

Ablett is on the move.

BTW, I was doing some random reminiscence of old Aussies threads, and I came across this absolute gem of a post from Stubby, circa October 2009:

:lol:

That's pure gold right there people; pure, unadalterated gold :thumbsup:. Outstanding trade indeed...

I think I've had a bad influence on you Pax.

I think I've had a bad influence on you Pax.

I dunno, I think I just needed some ammo for when Stubs inevitably stirs me up about the Dockers at this Grand Final replay on Saturday.

But you are dodgy Ski: here's a classic quote from you in that same Aussies thread :P :

E-tax is great if you want to screw the ATO over.

I dunno, I think I just needed some ammo for when Stubs inevitably stirs me up about the Dockers at this Grand Final replay on Saturday.

But you are dodgy Ski: here's a classic quote from you in that same Aussies thread :P :

Well fuck me sideways and call me Mr Hogan.

Nowdays with all my OT though I get a taxman out to my household. Only costs $100 and I get a lot more in return.

Archived