Video Games Megathread Number A Billion

Inigima

All Halo missions with The Flood are a real pain in the ass, especially when you only have Covenant weapons, which only damage The Flood slightly more than NERF guns.

Does anyone actually buy Halo for the campaign though? I'm thinking of getting Halo Reach because I've seen good thing with the multiplayer.

I've been playing a bit of Zombie Driver which is a bit mistitled, as you are in fact a human driver battling zombie pedestrians. I'm guessing Human Driver or Zombie Pedestrian would have sounded rubbish.

Disposable fun, and not bad value for $5. There's a free demo on Steam as well.

Does anyone actually buy Halo for the campaign though? I'm thinking of getting Halo Reach because I've seen good thing with the multiplayer.

No, of course not, but the first game's was mostly pretty good. (Yes, I know everyone hates the Library, shut the fuck up.)

No, of course not, but the first game's was mostly pretty good. (Yes, I know everyone hates the Library, shut the fuck up.)

I wouldn't know I never got more than half way through it. (That's because I didn't own it not because I didn't like it)

Yeah, that, and repetitive. It caught a lot of flak because it was a lot of corridors that were pretty much identical. I didn't find it that objectionable, but there's no denying the truth of the claim.

What do you guys think is the best sword fighting game?

I've been wanting a great sword fighting game since... forever. Although there are some games that are pretty good, I still don't feel it's there yet. Here are some pretty good ones...

1. Bushido Blade. (playstation) Now this shit was fun, especially in two player mode. Nice variety of weapons (including halberds) each modeled and timed very well. Only thing is the combat would be over pretty quickly. Would appreciate more defense, use of shields, armor. As a straight up 2 player sword fighting match it was nearly perfect.

2. Assassin's Creed.

For me the aspect of an adventure/action game with stunning settings really brought the game to life overall. The combat animations are excellent, the blades feel good. But, once you get the hang of it, the combat engine reveals itself and its pretty easy to take out anyone - using counter attack, and counter-grab.

3. Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

Again the game world really made the battles feel important. Using block and timing was essential... but also positioning. Really appreciated that last aspect. Moves were limited but it worked very well.

Honorable mention:

Mount and Blade.

Anyone played this? It has some interesting conventions, like mouse movement to determine strike type. Unfortunately, the graphics and other elements of the game greatly reduced the fun factor. I named my character Sandor Clegane, unfortunately he didn't live up to the legend.

Darksiders. (or the like)

There are a number of Japanese anime styled games that involve sword fighting (along with guns, gadgets etc). The main problem with all of them (at least those I've played) is that you're better off just delivering outright attacks and quick dashing than using block/parry. Still it can be good fun.

Overall, I'd say a marriage between Bushido Blade (battle mechanics) and Assassins Creed (world, etc) would be the ticket.

Die By The Sword (which, by the way, is the only good game Treyarch ever made) had some great sword-fighting mechanics, based on fluid motions rather than canned 'moves'.

Mount & Blade is definitely the best around right now. It does use canned moves, but with a fluidity to it that makes sword-fighting really dynamic and challenging if you go at it in MP. Unlike in Assassin's Creed there's no one set of moves that will guarantee a win, and duels against human opponents can turn into Errol Flynn-like fencing escapades. I don't mind the graphics at all, but as far as SP goes there's really not a whole lot of gameplay to be had. There's currently a spin-off project in the works using the same engine, and it will be based on the With Fire and Sword series. Maybe we'll get an actual game there.

People generally want, or think they want, two things in a swordfighting game: 1:1 motion, and resistance. I'm not sure if recent tech gives good 1:1 feel -- I last checked in when the Wii MotionPlus came out and it wasn't good -- but there is no good resistance solution right now and I don't even know what such a solution would look like. Unless and until these issues are resolved, no swordfighting game will feel satisfyingly realistic.

I wonder, if we ever do see the genuine article, if it will actually be any good. Seems like it might be one of those things where people think they want something, get it, and realize it might not live up to their expectations,

Jedi Knight Outcast + cheats to spawn armies of reborn = hours of fun :)

Assassins Creed II is pretty good in that "come get some, you nameless hordes of computer henchmen"; but I have mixed feelings for Ubisoft since they bought and shelved the Tenchu franchise. Bring Tenchu back... I'll buy both franchises, I promise :D

Anybody playing the Zombie Apocalypse add-on for Red Dead Redemption? Hours of entertainment there.

Anybody playing the Zombie Apocalypse add-on for Red Dead Redemption? Hours of entertainment there.

I think I'm just not a fan of Rockstar's 'approach' to gaming, because both GTAIV and RDR bored the hell out of me. That and I hate their control schemes.

What do you guys think is the best sword fighting game?

It's not the best but the Gladiator battle in the PS3 Move Sports is really fun if you have 4 move wands for the two combatants. Pretty accurate weapon and shield usage.

Archived