U.S. Politics, 9 trillion

lokisnow

Republican Senate nominee Christine O'Donnell of Delaware said in a 2006 debate that China was plotting to take over America and claimed to have classified information about the country that she couldn't divulge.

O'Donnell's comments came as she and two other Republican candidates debated U.S. policy on China during Delaware's 2006 Senate primary, which O'Donnell ultimately lost.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101004/ap_on_el_se/us_senate_o_donnell_china

Ahh, Palin 2.0

I dunno. It's 2006. That's pre-Palin. I'd say, more like a proto-Palin.

Or maybe O'Donnell is John to Palin's Jesus?

Oh Salome, where art thou?

Nah, Palin came out first back in 2008. O'Donnell's stupidity is only making news now.

But really, think about it:

Attractive Female Conservative candidate emerges from nowhere to make national press. This is quickly followed by a gushing stream of hilarious and stupid things she's previously said/done/etc. She quickly becomes a joke to everyone but the Right Wing.

Who am I talking about here, Palin or O'Palin?

It's so close to the same story, it's freaky.

Actually, in banana republics, the oppressive goons in charge tend to use the laws to suppress political speech, and forbid comment and criticism from groups other than those approved by the government. Increasing independent political speech is the exact opposite of what happens in banana republics.

missing a step--

US sets up banana republic by invading with military or making a coup or unlawfully financing elections, and then controls the local beneficiary to do the quoted bits, above--which makes the united states the ur-banana-republic.

Actually, in banana republics, the oppressive goons in charge tend to use the laws to suppress political speech, and forbid comment and criticism from groups other than those approved by the government. Increasing independent political speech is the exact opposite of what happens in banana republics.

However, I do understand why more controlled political speech might appeal to folks who support the current Administration. After all, letting dissenting voices be heard may not be good for the folks currently in power.

Actually what happens in Banana Republics is that people with lots of power and money use that power and money to suppress the speech and actions of others for their own benefit.

Which is, of course, in no way like what's happening here...

"Independent political speech." I like that. It makes perfect sense to call it that, in a very narrow-minded way. I guess it means all previous political speak was dependent upon something? And now people are free to really speak their minds? Of course I wouldn't exactly call multi-million and billion dollar corporations with specific partisan political agendas pooling their cash together to help determine elections "speaking one's mind."

However, I do understand why more controlled political speech might appeal to folks who support the current Administration. After all, letting dissenting voices be heard may not be good for the folks currently in power.

What you fail to understand is that political leaders on both sides of the aisle would love to "control" political speech through restrictive legislation. Only one side seems like it really would have the... what's the word... balls? audacity? capacity for evil? to actually do it. History sort of tells me it's not the side currently in power that would do such a thing.

Guy,

If you weren't being "held hostage" what would be happening?

A conversation about where this country needs to go both fiscally and socially. A conversation about the role of government in the aforementioned. I don't feel like reasonable people can have such a dialogue in the public sphere.

A conversation about where this country needs to go both fiscally and socially. A conversation about the role of government in the aforementioned. I don't feel like reasonable people can have such a dialogue in the public sphere.

Stop participating in partisan politics. Refuse to vote for republicans or democrats. There's your first step.

Stop participating in partisan politics. Refuse to vote for republicans or democrats. There's your first step.

In other words, remove yourself from the political landscape? Because as nice as it would be to have a sane and logical third party choice, it's not going to happen any time soon.

I have a hard time with that, because I think this is what they want. Apathy, so that the crazy people can run amok.

ETA:

Cocoman,

Around there, I am sitting at 30.

In other words, remove yourself from the political landscape? Because as nice as it would be to have a sane and logical third party choice, it's not going to happen any time soon.

I have a hard time with that, because I think this is what they want. Apathy, so that the crazy people can run amok.

If you keep voting for the people that are causing the problem. I will lack sympathy when you complain about the problem. You voted for it after all.

If you keep voting for the people that are causing the problem. I will lack sympathy when you complain about the problem. You voted for it after all.

I don't always vote Democratic or Republican. I do make sure to always vote.

You not voting is most definitely what they want. That's what Negative Advertising is for after all.

Just because you don't vote doesn't mean the political process stops. It just goes on without you.

Shryke,

So I should vote 3rd party or write in ever time?

You could leave it blank or write in your pet's name if you're so inclined, Scot.

And it's not like the ballot only contains the names of candidates from each political parties, there are also various propositions that would affect you even if you don't vote.

Shryke,

So I should vote 3rd party or write in ever time?

I was more talking about just voting at all. Not voting does nothing but make you feel all cool while you abdicate any control over the various levels of government that effect you. It's like masturbation, but with no orgasm and more chaffing.

As to your question, it depends on the election (what level it's at, who the candidates, how the system is set up, etc).

Voting for the Green party in a Presidential Election or something like that, for instance, is only a smidge above not voting at all. It's not going to do anything.

Voting is no different then anything else: Look at the outcomes that could realistically occur, choose the one that you want most and pursue that option.

Archived