U.S. Politics, 9 trillion

lokisnow

Truly, neither of the two main parties has any interest in moving from a two-party system, whichever one you vote for - and a viable third party (or even the possibility of such) is the only way you (or we) are ever going to get out of this poisonous situation. And no, it's not going to be easy. Short of a revolution, the best you can do is support, vote for and contribute to a third party, while simultaneously campaigning for things like reform of electoral funding, or the Primary system, or any of the other entrenched mechanisms that keep the problem in place. Merely declining to vote, or carrying on voting in the same idiots, is not going to address the issue in any way.

Ah, Meg Whitman. When I heard her offer to take a lie-detector test, I knew the accusation of employing an illegal was true.

What I find truly amazing is that, even after decades of politicians getting caught up in their own lies, Whitman hotly denied something she wasn't certain could not be proven. You never, ever, ever deny an allegation unless you are 110% certain there is no proof. Ever. You dissemble or change the subject, but the last thing you want to do is deny in self-righteousness what you are later going to be forced to admit in shame.

The program now feeds one in eight Americans, and one in four children.

goodness. targeting SNAP stamps would be a horrible blunder in a sane society with this proportion of people on assistance--but in the US, it should work out well, considering how insane the voters are.

TAKE AWAY MY FODE STAMPS WILL YUO? WELL, I VOTE FOR YUO AGANES!! TAKE THAT!!!

I think food stamps can definitely use some restrictions. No soda and no junk foods, or have an audit and if someone spends more than 1/5 of their monthly allowance on soda or junk foods, take away that much money. Taking it away from families is not the option, not when so many people need it to actually survive.

So has everyone heard about what's going on in the California's governor race? Meg Whitman (former Ebay CEO) has had a pretty staunchly anti-illegal immigrant stance, but it came to light that she'd employed one such person as a house keeper for years. She initially claimed that she had no idea, but it sounds like she did, and only fired the person once she realized that the truth was coming to light.

I actually think she didn't know. She found this person through an employment agency that said she was here legally. Generally, you don't expect employment agencies to fuck that up. But more significantly, she paid this woman $24/hour. That kind of wage could easily get you someone who really is here legally, so why would you overpay someone who you know is here illegally?

I actually think she didn't know. She found this person through an employment agency that said she was here legally. Generally, you don't expect employment agencies to fuck that up. But more significantly, she paid this woman $24/hour. That kind of wage could easily get you someone who really is here legally, so why would you overpay someone who you know is here illegally?

If that's true, I agree completely. I don't make much more than that, and my employer has the benefit of a birth certificate, a DD-214, repetitive background investigations, and even a polygraph to know I'm legal. You'd think an employment agency would at least check a green card for that kind of paying position.

ETA: Min, spot on. Scot and especially Tormund, thanks for fighting the good fight all day while I was at work reading along unable to post. If a viable third party never happens, at least I tried. If it does, fuckin' A and I was a part of that.

Fun Fact!

Every republican 2012 Presidential contender that is not named "Mitt Romney" is a paid contributor for Fox News.

With Sarah Palin, Newt Gingrich, Rick Santorum and Mike Huckabee all making moves indicating they may run for president, their common employer is facing a question that hasn’t been asked before: How does a news organization cover White House hopefuls when so many are on the payroll?

The answer is a complicated one for Fox News. (See: GOP's struggles play out on Fox)

As Fox’s popularity grows among conservatives, the presence of four potentially serious Republican candidates as paid contributors is beginning to frustrate competitors of the network, figures within its own news division and rivals of what some GOP insiders have begun calling “the Fox candidates.”

With the exception of Mitt Romney, Fox now has deals with every major potential Republican presidential candidate not currently in elected office.

I think food stamps can definitely use some restrictions. No soda and no junk foods, or have an audit and if someone spends more than 1/5 of their monthly allowance on soda or junk foods, take away that much money. Taking it away from families is not the option, not when so many people need it to actually survive.

I'm fairly certain that they already have this restriction. At least my doctor friend posted anecdote on her Facebook page, how when in line at the grocer, a mother in front of her was complaining she couldn't use her stamps to get a Snickers bar because it wasn't a health food, and she was arguing that it contained peanuts and thus was healthy.

(my doctor friend posted it to indicate that people's health education was in much more need of reform than health care)

I don't know. Maybe that's just in Michigan?

That is fucking ridiculous. Wow.

Aside from the sad "Well, we have Shep Smith" argument, is there anyone nowadays who claims that Fox is "fair and balanced"?

Between this and the recent political donations Newscorp has made, there's hardly even a pretense of objectivity anymore.

Honestly, I don't need a viable third-party, I just need all those self-declared "independents" and "libertarians" and "fiscally-conservatives" stooges to actually be honest and not vote Republicans into office.

But I suspect that the majority of those newly minted "independents" are the same breed as those horde of teabaggers who swore up and down that they were the only person who stood up and vehemently opposed the rising deficit and expansion of federal power during the Bush years, lol.

The Onion in an article I wish I could laugh at.

WASHINGTON—Citing a desire to gain influence in Washington, the American people confirmed Friday that they have hired high-powered D.C. lobbyist Jack Weldon of the firm Patton Boggs to help advance their agenda in Congress.

Known among Beltway insiders for his ability to sway public policy on behalf of massive corporations such as Johnson & Johnson, Monsanto, and AT&T, Weldon, 53, is expected to use his vast network of political connections to give his new client a voice in the legislative process.

Weldon is reportedly charging the American people $795 an hour.

"Unlike R.J. Reynolds, Pfizer, or Bank of America, the U.S. populace lacks the access to public officials required to further its legislative goals," a statement from the nation read in part. "Jack Weldon gives us that access."

"His daily presence in the Capitol will ensure the American people finally get a seat at the table," the statement continued. "And it will allow him to advance our message that everyone, including Americans, deserves to be represented in Washington."

The 310-million-member group said it will rely on Weldon's considerable clout to ensure its concerns are taken into account when Congress addresses issues such as education, immigration, national security, health care, transportation, the economy, affordable college tuition, infrastructure, jobs, equal rights, taxes, Social Security, the environment, housing, the national debt, agriculture, energy, alternative energy, nutrition, imports, exports, foreign relations, the arts, and crime.

If any of the third parties are worth a damn shit, they'd get my support. Until they can campaign their way out of a wet paperbag, they'll remain at the kiddie table as far as I'm concerned.

Yes. You really do.

Or your children will. Shit will get worse without much chance at getting usefully better otherwise.

No, I really don't. I value all the major legislations that were introduced and/or passed by the Democrats within the last 4-5 decades or so. I think they're progressive and is shoving society in the right direction. I'm not happy that they usually cave to Republican pressures or the reality of politics, but if more and more of these newly-minted "independents" actually vote for third-party candidates like they keep clamoring about, then that will works out just fine in the long run.

The only way it seems your gonna get a 3rd party these days is if the GOP collapses in on itself somehow due to infighting and the like.

Now, previously people had hoped this would lead to the rise of a saner right wing party.

Evidence seems to show, though, that it would instead lead to the rise of the Tea Party Party lead by Sarah Palin.

The only way it seems your gonna get a 3rd party these days is if the GOP collapses in on itself somehow due to infighting and the like.

Now, previously people had hoped this would lead to the rise of a saner right wing party.

Evidence seems to show, though, that it would instead lead to the rise of the Tea Party Party lead by Sarah Palin.

What do you think are the chances that Palin runs as an Independent? Its not hard to imagine the TP party fracturing from the GOP and pushing their own candidate if they aren't getting party support in the primaries.

Wthe TP party fracturing from the GOP

Why am I throwing a party, and why are Republicans invited to it? <_<

Incidentally, I need to trademark my board initials.

What do you think are the chances that Palin runs as an Independent? Its not hard to imagine the TP party fracturing from the GOP and pushing their own candidate if they aren't getting party support in the primaries.

Actually, some have speculated that Palin might get the nomination, and another Republican would run as the independent. I don't think that's very likely, but hey, I'm always happy to wonder what would happen if my opponents implode.

Archived