Towers of Midnight II

Old Nan

Away with the old negativity thread. Let's be positive and happy. Sanderson is great, Jordan was great, the new book is going to be great.

Great!

Right! This is supposed to be a happy occasion. Let's not bicker and argue about who was rude to whom. We are here today to witness the union of two young peoples: those who hate the series and those who love it in the joyful bond of a holy wedlock.

Ahem, I have something I need to say:

I think that Mazrim Taim killed Asmodean. He's been on the top of my suspect list since the late 1990s.

I just needed to state that in a public forum, so I'm allowed some gloating if it turns out I am correct. Never been a big proponent of the Graendel theories.

I am just about done with the Eye of the World and I am suprised by how much I enjoyed it because I struggled to get into it on two previous occasions. Now I just need to get through all the others. I haven't paid much attention to it, but I'm interested to see how Sanderson handles the final books.

I've thought Greandal did it for years. Not going to change my mind now.

Spoken like a true Taimandred adherent! :lol: (You know the types... refuse to believe that Taim isn't Demandred despite RJ flat out saying he wasn't.)

I'm anticipating this book so much that I will likely stop reading the book I'm working on just to get to it sooner. I never do that.

I've never cared who killed Asmo and I don't get why it is THE burning question for some, but to each their own. I was thinking Taim = Demandred for a while. then I saw that RJ denied it, so that's dead in the water. He is a bad, bad man though and it's one of the plots I hope to see some action on.

I was a Taimandred proponent until Winter's Heart, when that particular theory fell apart to all but the most insistent. I remember being upset that the Dashiva=Osan'gar was proven true in the same book...a theory that I had loudly insisted did not have nearly enough evidence to be true.

The "Who Killed Asmodean" question was much more fun around Books 6-8, when it seemed like it was a question that actually mattered, and there must be some important plot-related reason why RJ wasn't telling us. Since then, it's sort of become apparent he delayed the reveal just to toy with fans (and apparently at one point thought it shouldn't be revealed at all). I'm interested in the answer for old times' sake, but at this point I can't see many reasons why the answer should have been concealed for the past seven books. Will we read the books any differently once we learned that (insert name here) killed him?

I was a Taimandred proponent until Winter's Heart, when that particular theory fell apart to all but the most insistent. I remember being upset that the Dashiva=Osan'gar was proven true in the same book...a theory that I had loudly insisted did not have nearly enough evidence to be true.

The "Who Killed Asmodean" question was much more fun around Books 6-8, when it seemed like it was a question that actually mattered, and there must be some important plot-related reason why RJ wasn't telling us. Since then, it's sort of become apparent he delayed the reveal just to toy with fans (and apparently at one point thought it shouldn't be revealed at all). I'm interested in the answer for old times' sake, but at this point I can't see many reasons why the answer should have been concealed for the past seven books. Will we read the books any differently once we learned that (insert name here) killed him?

I don't believe he delayed it. As I remember, he said you should already be able to figure it out.

I think Aviendha killed him, in the pantry, with the balefire, by the way. That has the virtue of at least being simple, though I can buy that Graendal or Taim killed him.

Ahh. There's a bunch of quotes there saying what I remember him saying.

He thought it was already obvious and wasn't a big deal. And once he realised alot of people thought it was a big deal, he decided to sit back and enjoy them trying to figure it out.

Anyway, I'm still saying it's Graendal. I remember a good analysis I saw on it (I swore it was on WOTFAQ but it isn't there anymore) that basically went through the evidence from FOH to see who it was (which RJ I believe said was possible) and basically only Graendal really made sense.

Well I think the biggest one we have is at the start of the book we have Graendal and Sammy and Lanfear and Rahvin all plotting together to get Rand, and at the end of the book all of them are accounted for except Graendal. At least that is what I recall being laid out in one of those arguments.

This kind of reminds me that one of the (smaller) reasons I started to get soured on WoT is RJ's attitude. That's just smug and condesending IMO. More power to him if he wants to keep readers guessing for his own entertainment, but he can't have expected it to be endearing. Hell, I might have had the same attitude, and I might have forgiven him his personal enjoyment ... if the series had actually been going anywhere. Once it began to lag, it was just an added aggrivation. Just my personal response, of course, and not meant to bring down the new and improved bilateral attitude of peace, love and anticipation :)

Archived