Towers of Midnight II

Old Nan

Regarding the who killed Asmodean issue, which I had never wondered about it much, It doesnt seem likely that Lanfear was responsible for it. If she was in the snake foxes land I dont she could come back since the servants of shadow would be destroyed in there as we know from the books. Additionally doesnt the Dark One himself resurrect her later? Or perhaps I got it all wrong?

Regarding the who killed Asmodean issue, which I had never wondered about it much, It doesnt seem likely that Lanfear was responsible for it. If she was in the snake foxes land I dont she could come back since the servants of shadow would be destroyed in there as we know from the books. Additionally doesnt the Dark One himself resurrect her later? Or perhaps I got it all wrong?

You're right, but that never stopped people speculating. :P

I work in a bookstore in receiving. The last week has been very, very hard for me as I've been handling multiple boxes of books clearly marked "Towers of Midnight - Robert Jordan". Unfortunately these are all tracked and are being checked daily to make sure they are unopened. So when I go to work I get to see a big stack of boxes staring me in the face every time I turn around. And all the ARC's are on loan already.

Frustrating.

I have finished reading ToM.

Without any spoilers... I can say this book will satisfy most fans. Those who disliked the slow pace of the later books need not worry at all. Tons, and I mean tons, of shit happens. That we're nearing the end is extremely obvious.

Those who disliked the simplicity of the early books will also not have too much to worry about. Though less thematically focused than tGS, the book fits the overall themes of the series, and even brings some of those much closer to their final resolution.

As for the plot itself... pure genius. Some of the most obscure things from previous books resurface, in amazing ways. Really, I keep getting more and more in awe of the way Robert Jordan plotted the novel.

Very unexpectedly, the book also does a better job in the romance department that any other WoT book, though there are cringe worthy moments too.

As a book, it reminds me most of tSR. There's also some really emotional scenes, one of which is probably the most depressing thing I've read, maybe in any epic fantasy, but certainly in WoT. Those who go about thinking WoT is a simple good vs. evil story, and expect a nice happy ending are probably going to be more surprised. To me, it felt of a piece with the themes of the series, but surprising in its intensity.

Sanderson said writing this portion was a wrench, and I can see why. And I really appreciate where he placed it. Some of the exciting action is done, and I was thinking, "Wow! These guys are pulling their act together. Looks like defeating the DO won't be that hard after all". And then we get this. A few quick scenes that color the entire book, and maybe the entire story. Certainly, the highpoint of this book for me.

As for the writing... well, the Sanderson-isms were there a plenty. Characters call each other "pal", and "gentlemen". There is a bar. We get Breaking-era constructs. These things, as well as some instances of really unsubtle writing, are jarring. But in the overall rush of the story, the sheer excitement of the action of the characters kind of helped me completely overlook all this and enjoy the story.

Some things were irritating. A certain someone returns only to make a totally out of character plot, which of course fails. Then the said character gets punished. Really disappointing. There were also some continuity issues, and some failures of logic in the plot that were glaring.

But on the whole? Totally worth it. A great successor to tGS, which actually managed to up the ante for the Last Battle even as it resolved so many foreshadowings and Priphesies. So many new questions are raised, yet in the end, the one thing we do know for certain is that not one character has any friggin clue how to really defeat the Dark One.

Shit. You're making me want to read this Fionwe. I'm stuck slowly dragging my way through "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" and you're gonna make me read the whole fucking thing in a day and a half so I can get ToM on Tuesday damnit. I'm supposed to take my time with this serious literature stuff so I can better dislike it.

And that's going to mean I get nothing done on Wednesday either since I'll be steaming my way through the brick.

Damn you fionew! :P

-Poobs

I can promise you it will be worth it. There are so many implications for the Seanchan, the Last Battle, the cannons, the Kin... none of which we ever considered. In a way, this book expands the series. I don't mean there's material for many more books. But there's certainly matrial for reinterpretation. Let me put it this way:

A lot of epic fantasies never look at how a prophesied apocalyptic battle will really change society. WoT always did that. This books carries it forward, in the space of a few scenes. At the same time as we're getting all this kickass action, we're asking ourselves what the heck is the point of it all. All this heroism and sacrifice for such an end?

Shit. You're making me want to read this Fionwe. I'm stuck slowly dragging my way through "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" and you're gonna make me read the whole fucking thing in a day and a half so I can get ToM on Tuesday damnit. I'm supposed to take my time with this serious literature stuff so I can better dislike it.

Do not take your time with "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man," that's like slowly peeling a bandage off. Better to just rip the bitch off as quickly as possible and get the agony over with.

I love Joyce, I really do, but the majority of that novel is simply retina-torture

Do not take your time with "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man," that's like slowly peeling a bandage off. Better to just rip the bitch off as quickly as possible and get the agony over with.

I love Joyce, I really do, but the majority of that novel is simply retina-torture

I like some of Joyce's work but this book is fucking killing me.

You're definitely hyping me up for ToM, Fionwe. I guess I'll be posting my own comments to it on Wednesday sometime.

Would I be able to get it at midnight on Monday at a big box store like Wal-Mart?

You should be able to, Wal-Mart tends to do their overnight stock for books about 11pm, but you wouldnt be able to check out before midnight, the UPC will bring up a do not sale earlier than warning.

Poobah:

Well, I hope I didn't oversell it. This isn't capital L literature or anything. Just an exciting novel to read. Btw... keep a lookout for some really cool reunions. To think some of these people haven't seen each other since the beginning of book 4...

think Im not gonna visit this thread till Im done with the book, dont want to risk being exposed to spoilers. And somebody tag this thread as Spoiler involved discussion.

think Im not gonna visit this thread till Im done with the book, dont want to risk being exposed to spoilers. And somebody tag this thread as Spoiler involved discussion.

There are no spoilers yet...

Renasko: Got it at Meijers. I'm sure Wal-Mart will have it by now.

BTW: If anyone does want spoilers, ask, and I'll answer. I'm under no embargo. I'll spoiler tag everything, of course.

Archived