Doctor Who: Season 32 thread

Werthead

That ending:

What.

I do hope that if it does turn out that Amy is having a Time Baby that it doesn't lead to more 'tension' between Rory and Amy, especially if it's because of TARDIS travel, because that's annoying, it's already been sorted out numerous times. And it does seem to be heading that way.

But still, ace episode, ace hook for further developments. Not even the most wtf one in the episode, that was Lady Eyepatch when Amy was going into the possiblyherdaughterpossiblyatimeladypossiblykilledtheDoctor's room at the home.

And the way the Doctor fooled the Silents was brilliant.

Very creepy aliens. Almost on par with the Angels. (though they managed to be creepy even when not moving, hehe).

Through most of the episodes I found them even creepier. :stunned:

Theorising:

Possibly: River is Amy's baby. River kills the Doctor in the space suit at the start of this series. Young!River is the next owner of the Tardis (which has already happened in her timeline).

The girl has to be Amy's child somehow, I think - otherwise it's just coming out of nowhere. Also, does anyone else think the Silence were visually based on the classic Roswell Grays? I still think the Angels were creepier, but they're a close second.

Next week, pirates!

Quite good, I thought. The ending seemed to rush up on me but I can forgive it. Now, thoughts...

Re: River

So that was the Doctor'a first, and her last kiss. Which leads me to assume that will be either the last time she sees him until the events of Silence in the Library. And while the Doctor will see her again, does anyone else think it might not be Eleven? When she first met Eleven she remarked how she loved it when he went baby-faced or something. What I'm getting at is that I do hope we're done with, or at least close to being done with River for the time being. I think the idea is a good one, but I just can't stand the actress playing her. Grating.

As to the last part with the little girl...

I don't know how that could be Amy's baby, but it certainly seems thats the way its being set up. Although I suppose it could be the result of the Tardis. Honestly, what better way to set a distinction between a Gallifreyan and a Time Lord? Perhaps the Tardis is what gives Gallifreyan's the regeneration trick? Either way I can't wait to find out. I was genuinely surprised with that.

Personally, I'm a big fan of Alex Kingston so I don't get the dislike some have for her or River. Love the character and the actress playing her.

I would actually suspect we might see one or two more episodes of River this season, probably in the finale...well, definitely in the finale, assuming it comes full circle to the first episode again. But I think she'll be a big part of the season finale episode(s), however many there are this season.

Wait a second... Richard Nixon travels in the TARDIS! :stunned:

River Song is easily the best companion/regular to have been introduced during the Davies era, and Alex Kingston is great at playing her. I really don't get it either. Captain Jack is also awesome, I concede, but River's story just seems to have so much more depth.

What was up with Amy hallucinating the weird metal eye patch woman at the orphanage? And why did the creepy caretaker think it was 1967 (at the latest)? Gah!

There was a lot of cool stuff in that episode but not really that much seemed to happen. Thoughts ahoy:

- I wasn't clear how they kept remembering what they were doing? How did they even escape the warehouse without forgetting, unless they were backing out the door. Marks on your skin wouldn't remind you of anything except that you drew on yourself.

- Space Rock prison thing in 1969. Yeah right. They were in Area 51 so i suppose that one's forgivable.

- Amy and Rory's psychic chats. Yay, she means you not the Doctor ... except the first one where she definitely asked for the doctor. Also "fell out of the sky" is not an expression to describe someone who grew up in the same village as you.

- "you should kill us on sight." If it's a hypnotic command why didn't Canton kill it straight after?

- River. Ok i can buy that she and the Doctor have thus far met in the opposite order, timewise. But how can she know for a fact that his first is her last? How does she know she wont meet a future version next time, rather than a past one?

- So Amy has a Schrödinger's cat-baby? That makes sense, whether she's pregnant or not is related to to whether the Doctor dies or not and they're still hoping to change that. Interesting that the fact she's prgnant was the "what the Doctor should know and what he should never know" hypnotic command she was given by the Silence.

It's not looking good for the River is Amy's daughter theory but i guess all this time-baby stuff could be a red herring. Although I wonder if the little girl can regenerate as an adult woman? Finally , what was up with that woman in the hatch, huh?

- "you should kill us on sight." If it's a hypnotic command why didn't Canton kill it straight after?

He had the benefit of some context for the comment.

- I wasn't clear how they kept remembering what they were doing? How did they even escape the warehouse without forgetting, unless they were backing out the door. Marks on your skin wouldn't remind you of anything except that you drew on yourself.

They didn't forget the astronaut- and I think if at least one person is conscious of the Silence at all times in such a situation it's easier to keep up the momentum of an escape.

- River. Ok i can buy that she and the Doctor have thus far met in the opposite order, timewise. But how can she know for a fact that his first is her last? How does she know she wont meet a future version next time, rather than a past one?

Doesn't/Didn't/Won't she at some point have access to the Doctor's diary of their relationship (which she gives him the last time they ever meet)? It could all be written in there. She will only ever meet a future version of the Doctor in her past, and a past version of the Doctor in her future. It is known. How can she know this? Again, I refer you to the Doctor's blue book, which records events in the order they happen to the Doctor, so her future is in the beginning.

The Alex Kingston problem just got an interesting fix option: wrap up River Song's life and have her die very soon, then bring in a new young actress that looks like her to play a younger version of River Song (Doctor Who's very own version of a reboot).

P.S

Alex Kingston has a younger sister who is an actress (Nicola Kingston) as well as young daughter: Salome Violetta Haertel http://www.namecandy.com/celebrity-baby-names/baby/salome-violetta-haertel?view=large. I have not found pictures of Nicola on the web, but if she looks like her sister, they can both play River Song in different stages of her life (all set before Alex Kingston's first chronological appearance in the Doctor Who universe).

Wait a second... Richard Nixon travels in the TARDIS! :stunned:

River Song is easily the best companion/regular to have been introduced during the Davies era, and Alex Kingston is great at playing her. I really don't get it either. Captain Jack is also awesome, I concede, but River's story just seems to have so much more depth.

What was up with Amy hallucinating the weird metal eye patch woman at the orphanage? And why did the creepy caretaker think it was 1967 (at the latest)? Gah!

Does that make Richard Nixon an official companion?

I hereby demand an episode featuring both River and Jack. It would either be awesome or awful.

I figure the caretaker thought it was 67 because he'd been around the silence soooo much that he'd lost two years of memory and was reclusive enough that his perception of time was never corrected by outside sources.

Does that make Richard Nixon an official companion?

Yes. Yes it does.

The thing about River:

Moffatt seems to have retconned her slightly. The idea that her and the Doctor are travelling in exact reverse order wasn't in use before last episode, and in fact makes no sense in what we've seen of her so far- they wouldn't have a use for the diaries if they only ever met in opposite order, as there would never be an event that they both remembered taking part in. Also, the first time we meet her, she says the Doctor took her out and gave her a screwdriver, which obviously didn't happen between then and now. Originally, the timelines were tangled, not reversed.

-So these aliens are the new archenemies? I love the idea. The scene where a bunch of them were hanging frpm the ceiling was creepy.

-So what's with the orphanage? The lady with the metal eyepatch who said Amy is "dreaming," the bunch of Silent aliens, the little girl who was able to escape the spacesuit. I have a feeling that they will go back to the house in the final, much like how the Doctor returned to Amy's house in the last season.

-Love Canton as a character. I propose that the producers bring him back and have him travel/ flirt with the Doctor and Rory. Or he and Captain Jack should hook up. Also, Arthur Darvill was utterly adorable in his 60s suit and awkward salute.

-Love Canton as a character. I propose that the producers bring him back and have him travel/ flirt with the Doctor and Rory. Or he and Captain Jack should hook up. Also, Arthur Darvill was utterly adorable in his 60s suit and awkward salute.

Yes! It took me like five minutes to realize, hey, thats Rory! I also loved the little scene with him and the Doctor talking about the fall of Rome. I really appreciate that they're trying to make him into his own character rather than a third wheel, but OTOH, they seem a bit lacklusterly committed to that, what with another Doctor/Amy fakeout.

Is it just me, or was Canton's American accent kind of awful? (I mean, I thought Alexis Denisof's American accent on Dollhouse was awful, and it turns out he is American, so I don't know anymore.)

Samalander - why does it bother you so much, that you go to convulted length merely to imagine the possibility of it changing, that River Song is played by a woman who looks, yes, over 25?

The thing about River:

Moffatt seems to have retconned her slightly. The idea that her and the Doctor are travelling in exact reverse order wasn't in use before last episode, and in fact makes no sense in what we've seen of her so far- they wouldn't have a use for the diaries if they only ever met in opposite order, as there would never be an event that they both remembered taking part in. Also, the first time we meet her, she says the Doctor took her out and gave her a screwdriver, which obviously didn't happen between then and now. Originally, the timelines were tangled, not reversed.

This is true, although i'd point out that the River episodes from series 5 did happen in reverse order, even though it wasn't particularly mentioned.

The reversal of timelines is a tendency rather than a cast-iron rule. Plus it's a dramatic device, of course.

That's what i figured up to the point where River is so certain that that was her last kiss with the Doctor. I suppose she might be wrong. I'm not sure if the screwdriver gift proves anything, a past Doctor could have done it and we just didn't see it.

Love Canton as a character. I propose that the producers bring him back and have him travel/ flirt with the Doctor and Rory. Or he and Captain Jack should hook up.

Yeah, he's great. I'm glad they cleared up why he was fired just for getting married, that was irking me all week.

Is it just me, or was Canton's American accent kind of awful? (I mean, I thought Alexis Denisof's American accent on Dollhouse was awful, and it turns out he is American, so I don't know anymore.)

Was it? I thought it was pretty good. Which is weird because he usually plays his own accent on American shows.

Yeah, he's great. I'm glad they cleared up why he was fired just for getting married, that was irking me all week.

Was Hoover still in charge of the FBI in 1969? He did have some draconian policies regarding agents' personal lives (the one I remember is that they weren't allowed to have facial hair).

Archived