U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona shot in the head

Shryke

Surgeon in a press conference says that Giffords is alive, that the neurosurgeons were finished with their operation, and that they are optimistic for a recovery.

Says the wound was a through-and-through to the temple.

Talked to my sister who is a doctor. The fact that the surgeon came out so quickly to say that he's optimistic was a spectacular sign. That much was probably old news by now, but it felt good to know. Very, very happy to see that she survived.

The only stuff about religion he mentioned (that I found) was connected to currency "in God we trust"- and not putting on his recruitment info any particular religion- he left it blank, so the recruiter wrote "none". I don't see where anyone would connect his being an anti-theist, he's just plain nuts. He was most likely influenced by what he read, the news he watched (I assume Fox News and Glen Beck), friends or mentors he may have, and his somewhat Libertarian/Communist confused psyche. All in all, one fucked up guy (most likely with a partner or two).

Whatever it was, this will definitely have repercussions on Palin and the Tea Party... Or it should, my husband thinks both will come out smelling like roses.

He has more on religion in the How To video. Not that it made much sense, the bit I could make out suggested he thought the government somehow used religion to mind control people.

I didn't wish to imply him to be anti-theist. I just wished to add more information on the contents of the videos. That was really the only other thing that stood out to me (beyond him not realizing that it doesn't go B.C.E then A.D.E but B.C.E to C.E).

Frankly, I think he seems more libertarian than anything. No particular reason to assign him the communist label or the Nazi label beyond the reading list. That's not to implicate libertarians, just an observation on the anti-government and hard currency lines. First and foremost he's crazy no matter the politics.

I'm not sure I'd say this had anything to do with Palin or the Tea Party, yet. The guy's in custody, we'll know soon enough if he had any sort of inspiration from those arenas. I do think this should, either way, be a clear reason why the rhetoric needs to be toned down. A good number of people are on the edge and looking for an opportunity. No need to have them convinced someone's sending them some sorta secret go-ahead to assassinate people.

I am actually skeptical that whatever we learn from him in the days to come will provide any real insight into whatever inspired him to do the shooting. If he's really as crazy as his youtube ramblings imply, I suspect we won't get much coherent, and if he's not, whatever answer he gives will likely be highly coached.

Talked to my sister who is a doctor. The fact that the surgeon came out so quickly to say that he's optimistic was a spectacular sign. That much was probably old news by now, but it felt good to know. Very, very happy to see that she survived.

Indeed, I don't know that I've ever heard a surgeon use that word in a press conference for anything related to a traumatic, life-threatening injury. The reporters said she was understanding and responding to commands, which indicates all sorts of positive signs.

Obviously I don't want to speak prematurely, but modern medicine is truly a wondrous thing.

He has more on religion in the How To video. Not that it made much sense, the bit I could make out suggested he thought the government somehow used religion to mind control people.

I didn't wish to imply him to be anti-theist. I just wished to add more information on the contents of the videos. That was really the only other thing that stood out to me (beyond him not realizing that it doesn't go B.C.E then A.D.E but B.C.E to C.E).

Frankly, I think he seems more libertarian than anything. No particular reason to assign him the communist label or the Nazi label beyond the reading list.

I'm not sure I'd say this had anything to do with Palin or the Tea Party, yet. The guy's in custody, we'll know soon enough if he had any sort of inspiration from those arenas. I do think this should, either way, be a clear reason why the rhetoric needs to be toned down. A good number of people are one the edge and looking for an opportunity. No need to have them convinced someone's sending them some sorta secret go-ahead to assassinate people.

I agree, it didn't make much sense. That's why I don't believe he's anti-theist, just anti government in his nutty ramblings. Also, reading the comments on news updates where people are insisting he's a radical liberal- I don't think it's very common to have radical liberals signing up for the military... Especially after Iraq and Afghanistan.

Any medical types in here who can tell what the best/worst case scenario is for a shot of this type (this is assuming hoping she pulls through)? From wikipedia it seems it's the area of the brain concerned with reward and planning. Or is it likely the bullet hit bone but nothing major?

I'm a bit confused as to what "through-and-through" the temple means. A lot depends on what side of her head was affected initially and what internal structures were involved. The cosmetic defect is likely to be fairly significant, but the clips I've seen say less about recovery than about survival, namely that the surgeon interviewed is optimistic about her survival and sketchy about recovery. Lots of people survive traumatic brain injuries, but it's not a situation where you can be especially optimistic about avoiding any lingering neurological deficits.

Yeah, how dare she suggest that she would like to see someone else elected.

You might have a perfectly valid point if it was just the map and the crosshairs ect.

There is however more. From the Upcoming Events section of the website in question:

Get on Target for Victory in November Help remove Gabrielle Giffords from office Shoot a fully automatic M16 with Jesse Kelly.

Jesse Kelly being her opposition in the election. Hard to claim there is no intentional violent imagery present when the campaign rallies themselves were juxtaposing defeating a woman and shooting assault rifles with her opponent.

I agree, it didn't make much sense. That's why I don't believe he's anti-theist, just anti government in his nutty ramblings. Also, reading the comments on news updates where people are insisting he's a radical liberal- I don't think it's very common to have radical liberals signing up for the military... Especially after Iraq and Afghanistan.

From what I've found the only evidence of being liberal at all stems from some random woman who claimed she went to high school with him saying he was really liberal. Not something to hang your hat on. So liberal really seems the least likely thing for him to be outside of a conspiracy theory involving an attempt to implicate libertarians and/or Tea Partiers.

I've not looked too closely, though. Its possible there's more suggesting it.

From what I've found the only evidence of being liberal at all stems from some random woman who claimed she went to high school with him saying he was really liberal. Not something to hang your hat on. So liberal really seems the least likely thing for him to be outside of a conspiracy theory involving an attempt to implicate libertarians and/or Tea Partiers.

I've not looked too closely, though. Its possible there's more suggesting it.

The high school chick probably thought he was liberal because he smoked weed- like conservatives never partake in the ganja.

There are quite a lot of comments I've read suggesting he's a liberal (look at comments on this topic in Yahoo News- particularly nasty on both sides)- their own spin, trying to misinform and distort facts. Humanity at it's best...

Actually, his rant on currency not being backed by gold and silver reminds me of Ron Paul.

Now people are on the news crying about how we should put civility back in politics. Well I have to say that is a nice dream even if it is somewhat unrealistic.

And all of my local shitkicker SC Facebook dudes are crucifying Keith Oberman because he is "overpolitzing" the issue. Funny how its always the political party you don't like that is taking advantage of a situation and the side that you are on that speaks the truth.

What a horrible thing to do to another person.

Friggin opportunistic jackal, that's what you are.

I've been called a lot of things, but I think "opportunistic jackal" is a new one, never mind that I just said what I believe about Palin's rhetoric and that of others doing the same sort of thing (Sharon Angle, most notably). Others already outlined the arguments why what she did was so bad, IMO, so I won't bother to reiterate it in too great a detail, but this wasn't about opportunism for me. I haven't even looked at a political thread in months, and haven't really engaged in political debate here in probably more than a year, not in any significant way at least - I just haven't had the stomach for it for a long time (and I used to be in political threads all the time). But this particular event really got me angry in a way I haven't felt in...well, maybe my entire life. I'd been seeing and hearing these violent and hate-filled statements from these political figures who in another age (okay, just 10 years ago, even) would have been labeled fringe figures and never given mainstream political clout and I feared that it would lead to some sort of politically motivated violence, and lo and behold, look what happens. That's just how I see it and I wanted to make my point about it. That's not opportunism, that's just saying what I believe.

I do think the climate generated by the Palins, Angles and others like them likely contributed to this guy's state, giving him, in his mind, an excuse for doing such an extreme act. Yes, the guy is clearly crazy - I would make an educated guess he's got some level of schizophrenia (he's the right age for it to develop), but it's clearly coupled in his mind with a lot of these ideas and the rhetoric which come from these more extreme Right Wing figures (yes, I am labeling Palin and Angle as extreme figures). It's disgusting and downright evil to inject such ideas and attitudes into the public discourse and ultimately very dangerous because it tends to fan the flames of hate on both sides.

I've been called a lot of things, but I think "opportunistic jackal" is a new one, never mind that I just said what I believe about Palin's rhetoric and that of others doing the same sort of thing (Sharon Angle, most notably). Others already outlined the arguments why what she did was so bad, IMO, so I won't bother to reiterate it in too great a detail, but this wasn't about opportunism for me. I haven't even looked at a political thread in months, and haven't really engaged in political debate here in probably more than a year, not in any significant way at least - I just haven't had the stomach for it for a long time (and I used to be in political threads all the time). But this particular event really got me angry in a way I haven't felt in...well, maybe my entire life. I'd been seeing and hearing these violent and hate-filled statements from these political figures who in another age (okay, just 10 years ago, even) would have been labeled fringe figures and never given mainstream political clout and I feared that it would lead to some sort of politically motivated violence, and lo and behold, look what happens. That's just how I see it and I wanted to make my point about it. That's not opportunism, that's just saying what I believe.

I do think the climate generated by the Palins, Angles and others like them likely contributed to this guy's state, giving him, in his mind, an excuse for doing such an extreme act. Yes, the guy is clearly crazy - I would make an educated guess he's got some level of schizophrenia (he's the right age for it to develop), but it's clearly coupled in his mind with a lot of these ideas and the rhetoric which come from these more extreme Right Wing figures (yes, I am labeling Palin and Angle as extreme figures). It's disgusting and downright evil to inject such ideas and attitudes into the public discourse and ultimately very dangerous because it tends to fan the flames of hate on both sides.

Amen.

Jesse Kelly being her opposition in the election. Hard to claim there is no intentional violent imagery present when the campaign rallies themselves were juxtaposing defeating a woman and shooting assault rifles with her opponent.

Right. Like her followers aren't basically stupid.

And even that's irrelevant. A politician has to curb anything that can be construed as controversial or inflammatory, unless deliberately so.

Once again we are faced with:

1. Palin is an advocate of terrorism

2. Palin is a political moron

Swordfish, take a step back on this one. "You people" goes without comment from Smashing Young Dipshitroll, but you should know better.

Reading some more, some of the stuff regarding the 9yr old girl is just so sad:

The Age

The girl has been named as Christina Taylor Green of Tucson, whose neighbour had taken her to Giffords "Congress on your Corner" event because she had recently been elected to her school's student council. Christina, who was reportedly shot in the chest, had featured in a book Faces of Hope: Babies born on 9/11.

I would hate to be that neighbour. Nothing they could do, yet they must be feeling so bad right now.

The escalation in rhetoric began during the Bush years. This faux moral outrage I'm seeing on the left it utterly laughable in the face of their behavior during that time. What's being attempted by the left—using this tragedy to demonize and cow tea party supporters—is transparent and doomed to backfire.

But hey, go full press with it (you already are). The game is on.

Holy shit, this is terrible.

EMS didn't show up until more than 30 minutes after she was shot in the head, yet she's still alive? That can't be right.

I just want to comment on this because I know that law enforcement and ems can take heavy hits for response time, esp for things like this. Since we dont know the circumstances of who called 911 or when, it can take a while for police to get the call and arrive. Further more, and I can only truely speak for NY but doubt its very different elsewhere, ems may have been told to stage until police secured the scene so that they werent hurt either. It does no good to send ems rushing into a scene and get shot as well so they are made to hold back until police are certain the threat is over.

Its a very unfortunate event, and I truely hope that the man responsible is held to the highest extent for his actions. I am hearing that he is a war veteran. No matter what, he is still an adult and even if ptsd is involved, then justice needs to be served for those he killed, injured and terrified, as well as justice for him and others who are not getting adequate help to over come war related illness that can cause spurious events like this.

The escalation in rhetoric began during the Bush years. This faux moral outrage I'm seeing on the left it utterly laughable in the face of their behavior during that time. What's being attempted by the left—using this tragedy to demonize and cow tea party supporters—is transparent and doomed to backfire.

But hey, go full press with it (you already are). The game is on.

Even if true, "but they started it!" is an excuse most of us learn to stop using during primary school. And really, any party using "show your support by firing an assault rifle" as a campaign tactic does not need any help to be demonised, they are doing pretty damn well by themselves.

Seriously this whole thing is beyond sad. That little girl, what the hell can a little girl do to be assassinated? I know she was just in the wrong place at the wrong time, but seriously she affected me more then the congress woman or the judge. At least with the congress woman and the judge they knew they where making stand, they knew there could be danger. But a 9 year old girl? WHY

But it is a sad day in American politics when we do decide to reload, and not retreat. It is a sad day in American politics when elected officials can't interact with their constituents with out well placed fear. We've taken a huge step back; I am just so sad and disgusted.

Archived