Jim Butcher #2 SPOILERS!

Poobah

Spoilers

Because a lot of people considering a Wizard riding a Zombie T Rex to be 'just ok'

A wizard riding a Zombie T-Rex and controlling it with POLKA music, of course.

Dead Beat is certainly my favorite, probably followed by Small Favor. I agree with those saying that Butcher starts weaker, but becomes a much better writer as he goes, with book 4 where he really begins hitting his groove. I frown at the idea of just skipping to it though, as so much of book 4 Harry is based on the results of book 3. Starting there is not a bad idea, though, so if you want to get to the meat of the series sooner, that could be an option.

Oh, and Harry/Murphy here too, though I have a feeling that it's just never going to happen. :(

Tormund,

I don't think Charity would be so upset about a match between Molly and Harry. In fact that match makes a certain amount of sense given that they will both have extended life spans, assuming they aren't killed. I'd like to see the fight between Molly and Murphy.

:)

Tormund,

I don't think Charity would be so upset about a match between Molly and Harry. In fact that match makes a certain amount of sense given that they will both have extended life spans, assuming they aren't killed. I'd like to see the fight between Molly and Murphy.

:)

The very Catholic mother is going to be ok with her daughter having extra-marital sex with a pagan who is old enough to be her father? Yeahhhhh.....

Tormund,

Harry's not "Pagan" he's unaffiliated. Also, Harry doesn't do casual and respects the Carpenters quite a lot. He'd factor in their reactions and beliefs before he'd get together with Molly. I think Molly will hook up with Ramierez. They're both Catholic and both "saving" themselves. I think they a good match.

Tormund, you said it better than I could have. While Charity respects Harry now, heck might even like him, but as a match for her daughter? Not so much. Besides, I think Harry's experience with his bad mentor/evil uncle would stop him from ever abusing their relationship like that.

I'm intrigued by the idea that the Grey Council could really be the Black Council, though I'd need far more evidence for it before deciding. I think I'd prefer that the would not be the same though. I like the idea that the good guys need to get down and dirty to fight the bad guys while having to do what it takes to stay good.

I'm intrigued by the idea that the Grey Council could really be the Black Council, though I'd need far more evidence for it before deciding. I think I'd prefer that the would not be the same though. I like the idea that the good guys need to get down and dirty to fight the bad guys while having to do what it takes to stay good.

I'm not sure about it. The only Black Council member that we've met other than Peabody seems to be Cowl and he's a bit too casual about killing large numbers of innocent people for me to be conviced yet.

FLOW thats a good point and one I never thought of. It sounds very similar to a two man con used in American Gods. Also I think it would be just about the perfect way to manipulate Harry. He has a pathological aversion to authority figures and will stick with him ways regardless of the outcome. What better way to have a disposable hatchet man without a need of a cutout man if you can simply manipulate Harry into doing what you want, just by antagonizing him not to do your bidding.

I think we are going to learn soon enough that the Merlin didnt get to be Merlin by collecting bottle caps.

Yup. But given the way Butcher has always snuck in land mines whenever Harry keeps too many secrets from other people, I wonder if the Merlin keeping Harry in the dark might not backfire in some horrible way. Whatever happens, I think you're right that the Merlin is a more interesting character than has been let on....

I will agree with some of the others. The first 3 books are a bit disjointed as the author was really just finding his voice. But starting in book 4 and continuing on Jim really finds his stride. It is something unique to read a series as the author grows in skill and technique.

I'd agree that Butcher gets better as he goes along, but I also really enjoyed the earlier books as well. Personally, I read enough "heavy" stuff, both fiction and nonfiction, that the pulpier aspects of the Dresden files are a great change of pace. I'd been reading Bakker, was trudging through the Thousandfold Thought, and picked up Storm Front on a whim. The change in pacing and tone was an utter blast.

Really, all of us here liked the first book enough to read the second, the second enough to get the third, and the third enough to get the fourth. Why steer anyone in the direction of skipping books we all liked?

And Ijkeane, Side Jobs was really good. A great "fix" after finishing changes.

The very Catholic mother is going to be ok with her daughter having extra-marital sex with a pagan who is old enough to be her father? Yeahhhhh.....

Didn't Charity almost knock Harry out once when she mistakenly thought they'd done it?

I remember Father Forthill finding the whole thing hilarious.

The "lifespan" aspect is what makes it something that even Charity might accept at some point.

I'm curious as to whether Charity will have a long life-span as well, since she had the talent for magic? Or do you have to actively practice it to prolong your life? Could put a potentially tragic spin on her marriage.

In any event, I agree. If Dresden was 75, and Molly was, lets say, 58 (and they both looked in their 30's)--Charity would probably be fine with it.

I'm curious as to whether Charity will have a long life-span as well, since she had the talent for magic? Or do you have to actively practice it to prolong your life? Could put a potentially tragic spin on her marriage.

In any event, I agree. If Dresden was 75, and Molly was, lets say, 58 (and they both looked in their 30's)--Charity would probably be fine with it.

She'd also be in her eighties at that point. So far in the books we really don't have any evidence that minor practitioners have extended lifespans. That doesn't mean they don't, we simply lack the example.

I don't think Charity has a WC level of power. I've always pictured her more on par with Mort. But once again, never addressed in the text.

Side-Jobs is very nice indeed. But if Murphy doesn't finally become a Knight of the Sword in the next book, I gonna scream. It has been drawn out long enough and now when she is left standing in the breach where supernatural threats to Chicago are concerned, it would just look stupid if she continues to dither.

Also, Drurphy FTW!

Charity loathed Dresden not because of who he was, but because he was viewed as a threat to her husband and daughter. Dresden stuck his neck in a couple of nooses for Charity's daughters, so now he has family status. So long as they approach the relationship on equal footing, meaning they have moved past the master and apprentice phase, I see no reason why Charity wouldn't welcome the union.

Before that? Well I would sort of expect that most mothers would be rather ticked to find out that their daughter's mentor moved the lessons to the bedroom. Sleeping with people you have that kind of authority over is pretty much regarded as unscrupulous for a reason. Kind of like adults in their thirties who sleep with folk too young to smoke.

So far Harry has not had any sexual attraction thoughts or actions toward Molly. I think it would not suit his character to become the teacher who has sex with his student and even worse as a quasi family member. I think that Murphy will be the one for him but perhaps not for a long while. I think he will come back from the dead a lot wiser but still beholden to Mab and she will not let him pursue any love interests and Murphy will likely take up the sword and this could create some interesting conflicts of interest for both of them. I am so looking forward to what Harry learns as a ghost. He will get to eavesdrop on conversations and I bet he learns a LOT more of what is actually going on in the big picture. I do not think the grey council is the black council as the black council has consorted with everything evil to further it's goals. The black council was thick with the red vamps and the grey council helped harry wipe them from the face of the earth. Whoever the black council is has to do with the Outsiders in some way. I think we will start learning a lot more about the black council with Ghost going forward as Jim has said that he has about 7 more books to get Harry leveled up to where he can deal with the armegedon ending trilogy. This series just gets better with each book!

• 1 month later...

Archived