Upcoming Cover Art III

Cantabile

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe it's a placeholder? I don't have any problems with the image. This is a new edition of Steve Lundin's debut novel, which was originally published in 1998.

In the spring of 1971, Owen Brand and his family move to the riverside town of Middlecross in a renewed attempt to escape poverty. For twelve-year-old Owen, it's the opportunity for a new life and an end to his family's isolation and he quickly falls in with a gang of three local boys and forms a strong bond with Jennifer, the rebellious daughter of a violent, alcoholic father.

As summer brings release from school, two figures preside over the boys' activities: Walter Gribbs, a benign old watchman at the yacht club, and Hogdson Fisk, a vindictive farmer tormented by his past. Then the boys stumble on a body washed up on the riverbank - a discovery whose reverberations will result, as the year comes full circle, in a cataclysm that envelopes them all...

Steven Erikson first novel, "This River Awakens", is a lyrical, tender and disturbing portrayal of a rite of passage that is both harsh and revelatory.

http://www.amazon.co...15510890&sr=1-1

Orb, Scepter, Throne by Ian C. Esslemont.

/rolleyes

Now we have this trend of urban fantasy with photos of an anonymous guy on top of a moody background. All looking painfully generic and conveying ZERO information about what the book is about.

That's a cover that you usually see on Mark C. Newton books, and I was already sorry for him for getting those kinds of covers.

It's time to evict Steve Stone from the Malazan world. He doesn't put even a minimum effort anymore on the covers.

/rolleyes

Now we have this trend of urban fantasy with photos of an anonymous guy on top of a moody background. All looking painfully generic and conveying ZERO information about what the book is about.

That's a cover that you usually see on Mark C. Newton books, and I was already sorry for him for getting those kinds of covers.

It's time to evict Steve Stone from the Malazan world. He doesn't put even a minimum effort anymore on the covers.

THANK YOU. I dislike Steve Stone's Malazaan covers quite a bit, and don't understand some of the praise he gets.

Some of them were pretty good (I recall toll the hounds and midnight tides having good ones?), but yeah the generic moody guy thing has taken over.

I also REALLY like Lockwoods non Bonehunter's covers. I wish they had used him for the last two. It doesn't look right on my shelf.

I don't think you can blame Steve Stone for the Generic Moody Guy thing on the Malazan covers- it's clearly at the publisher's request. It's an utter waste of his talents to be doing it though- like the time when it was decided that the best use of him on the Shannara covers would be to do either a close up of a sword or staff or whatever, and then later on on the Word and Void series to use his artwork as a faded background for some people in silhouette.

I really wish publishers would stop playing follow the leader just because x book did well out of it recently.

Even Angry Robot are at it... a lot of their covers have been impressive but those two are poor. Although at least Giant Thief has a sort of nostalgic cheese factor to it, and if it wasn't for the bloke in the foreground looking somehow off I'd probably like that one.

Archived