New Game of Thrones T-Shirts

Westeros

I think the Greyjoy emphasis is largely because of Theon, who's a more significant character in the TV show than Loras will be this season. Plus a nod to the fact that the Greyjoys would be MUCH more important if a second season takes place.

But the Tyrells also play a huge role in the potential second season. They are much more important to the events of King's Landing, the whole Winterfell/Greyjoy plot is important, but I can't imagine it being more important than the Battle of the Blackwater.

I'm sure the second season promotional material will start including more Tyrell stuff. I don't see it necessary for them to have it available right away for the first season. They didn't have include Greyjoy stuff right away either, so I don't know. Maybe Theon is getting a juicier role in the first season? We'll find out!

I got the Targaryen shirt in the mail the other so I thought I'd share my thoughts:

The overall quality is quite good. It is more like a shirt from American Apparel or The Gap than a Hanes t-shirt so this is going to come down to personal preference as to whether you may want one. It is on the thin side and the fit is quite slim. It seems even a little smaller than most so if you like some extra room in your t-shirts, I'd recommend going a size up, especially since the shirts are not pre-shrunk. Oddly enough though, it is much longer than most shirts of similar style. It is however very soft, very comfortable and the quality of the design is excellent. Overall, I'm pleased with it and would recommend them if you like the designs and want to pay the high price. Personally, I like my shirts to be fitted but not tight so I'm not totally sold on the size (mine is a medium). Even though it looks fine, when it's washed it may be even smaller. I plan on ordering another in large to compare and then exchanging the one I like least for the other size.

Got my two house shirts today. The maker for these still has the tag in, so I know they're Alstyle Apparel & Activewear shirts (RN 55774), and it looks like it's the Missy ringspun preshrunk 100% cotton (style 2517).*

http://fullmetaltshirt.com/images/size_chart.jpg

and

http://www.teesnmore.ca/images/size_charts/2010/10/28/chart_786765.jpg

are sizing charts for AAA from two vendors who use/sell them. The first one includes the measurements for the men's equivalent, the 1701, but I don't know if that's what HBO's using for those shirts. The second is just for the women's, and it includes a couple of sizes that HBO doesn't offer.

*Based on Storm Echo's report, and measuring the damn things myself, it might be the 5562, the Jr Sheer Jersey Full-Length. The Tully shirt (unworn) matches closer to that width than the Missy ringspun sizes given above. The Targaryen shirt has stretched a lot just from me trying it on, but it's still not matching the measurements given on either of those sizing charts.

If that's the case, then the shirt width measurements are:

S=14 1/2, M=15 3/4, L=16 1/4, XL=17 1/4 (measured 1" below the armhole)

NOW, moving on, personal opinion. Much less rank printing smell, which is fantastic. Lovely feel to the fabric, and what looks like good finishing on everything. It's more snug than I would have liked, but I threw it on over my current top, so that might not be the best judgement. It also doesn't appear to be sheer on first glance. (Be careful and check for yourself, though -- if I hold it up to a light, facing away from me, I can see a lighter spot where the light source is, and I can see the design quite clearly. I may have to check this shirt in daylight in addition to the GoT sword logo one.)

Small details I'd personally missed which might be useful: the Targaryen motto & name is smack in the middle of the dragon (which, I'm delighted to confirm, matches the website: it has three heads, two wings, two legs, and one tail). The Tully printing is actually a light pink -- salmon, one might say ;) -- and not the white I'd originally thought. Or maybe it's just that so much of the red shirt is showing through that the printing appears pink. It's a real red, too, not the more maroon colour it appeared on my screen. It's so red that I wonder how it would compare to a Lannister shirt, frankly. (Looking at the Alstyle site, they have a lot more colour options for the men's shirt, so that shirt might be more true-to-image. It would also explain why the Tullys and Lannisters are both red in the women's, as the next closest colour in the women's shirts is hot pink.)

NB The sword logo shirt is from another manufacturer, so the sizing is different. I imagine this is why HBO doesn't put size charts up on their website; no guarantees that all of the shirts are from the same mfr, and therefore one size won't necessarily fit the same across all designs/orders.

I vote size yellow.

No, no idea. What shirt you want and what its measurements are, combined with your own measurements, particularly around the chest area, are going to be what determines the size. I've just mentioned how the different designs have different manufacturers, which means different sizing, which means it's all pretty much a guess.

I recieved my Stark and Baratheon shirts today after their 20% discount. And I can say they fit well and are comfortable and soft. I'm not sure yet how well they'll hold up in the wash.

But the part that bothered me the most is the ooor print quality on the image of the house sigils and texts and logo on the shirts. They are quite faded too.

I did two simple tests. Looking close, it looks to be a series of lines, like what you get with a laser print(so no nice thick ink screen print here). The second: the ink doesn't look to thick or quality and it stinks. I did one quick light scratch/rub to the image and some of the ink came off. Exposing fabric color. I'm actually a bit afraid to put it through the wash with the poor quality of the print. They are really not worth the cost they are. Even at discount.

*the above is a cross post*

Buyer beware!

But if this is any indication of the possible quality of other fabric merchandise to come, such as banners. If they go through the same cheap printing process. I'm gonna pass. HBO really should be stepping up on quality products. I hear its not just with recent stuff but with other merchandise of the fabric nature from other shows

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know much about t-shirts, even though I own my fair share of aSoIaF related ones. I ordered 3 from HBO and they arrived today. They seem fine to me but no guarantees about whether that means anything. :)

Went Large given comments here. Not too big, so medium might have been trouble.

Got the flying crow (winter is coming) t-shirt because I liked the image, got an Arryn t-shirt because I have practially ever other major family t-shirt and (since I had to pick up a Stark t-shirt) I picked up a Ned/Bean one.

I probably will buy more stuff, definitely if we get a S2. :)

From past experience (not with these shirts, which I will probably pick up one or two at some point) I would suggest washing the shirts inside-out, gentle cycle, tumble dry low (still inside out). If you don't want them to shrink you can dry them partway and then hang dry the rest of the way, again with low heat. That can help shirts that are a little delicate and have delicate prints last longer.

I think I mentioned this in another thread, but if you go to the HBO store, use the promotional code WGOT20 to get 20% off through April 30. They were handing out this code with postcards at Wondercon. I don't know if it works for HBO stores overseas, though.

Archived