The Dagger and the Coin - SPOILER THREAD

RedEyedGhost

Wonder what kind of sales hit that will be.

There looks to be some effect, although how large is difficult to tell. From what I have read, the ones most being hurt are first time authors.

I imagine fans of Abrahams, even those customarily used to buying things on Amazon, will find someway to buy his book. He is a well known commodity. And the book in question is the fourth in a five book series.

First time authors though, do not have that luxury.

Wonder what kind of sales hit that will be.

They didn't seem to think there was much of an overall effect on the first day sales of Cibola Burn, because sales were higher than expected at B&N, Powell's, and local book shops making up for lower than expected at Amazon - but still high enough for them to hit #1 in Sci-fi on Amazon's sales rankings.

They were both psyched at how well the book did yesterday at independent book stores and B&N, and amazon even though they were trying to hamstring them by not allowing pre-orders.

They didn't seem to think there was much of an overall effect on the first day sales of Cibola Burn, because sales were higher than expected at B&N, Powell's, and local book shops making up for lower than expected at Amazon - but still high enough for them to hit #1 in Sci-fi on Amazon's sales rankings.

That is another fourth book in an already successful series. I imagine the authors being severely effected are first time authors or authors who are not particularly well known and who are publishing the first book in a new series.

My first though everytime a new book in this series comes out? Why does this damn trade paperback have to be a foot tall with size 18 font? So awkward to hold.

My second is damn Geder, you really don't see what you are do you?

Got my kindle copy :thumbsup: Print copy should arrive in a couple of day. Damn Shõgun is long, excellent, but long.

I still haven't gotten mine :( Different time zones I guess? Google is telling me all kinds of different things...

My first though everytime a new book in this series comes out? Why does this damn trade paperback have to be a foot tall with size 18 font? So awkward to hold.

My second is damn Geder, you really don't see what you are do you?

It really is a very weird format with the huge font.

I have a foolish theory about why this is so: I think there is a group of readers who really genuinely do like epic fantasy novels to be quite long. Sure, there's no correlation between length and sales whatsoever, since many authors who write massive tomes don't sell for shit, but many of the genre's most successful rank of novels and series are big books. Orbit wants to position The Dagger and the Coin as a series that the Weeks and Sanderson crowd, who it seems Abraham has infiltrated but never fully broken out within, should be reading, so they build the books to be the size of hardcovers with thick paper stock that makes 'em look chunky. The ridiculous font and margins in the D&C books, which in terms of word count are big books but not Weeks or Sanderson or Hobb or Jordan big, allows them to appear as long as possible. This explanation is silly, but I can't think of a better one. And maybe it works, at least a bit -- the books do have a satisfying heft to them, though maybe that's just because I'm now conditioned to associate this format with the new Daniel Abraham book, which is a thing I want.

Sonuvabitch. I'm standing in my Barnes and Noble and they did not receive any copies. They had plenty of Cibola Burn a couple weeks back, but no Widows House. :tantrum:

I have a foolish theory about why this is so: I think there is a group of readers who really genuinely do like epic fantasy novels to be quite long. Sure, there's no correlation between length and sales whatsoever, since many authors who write massive tomes don't sell for shit, but many of the genre's most successful rank of novels and series are big books. Orbit wants to position The Dagger and the Coin as a series that the Weeks and Sanderson crowd, who it seems Abraham has infiltrated but never fully broken out within, should be reading, so they build the books to be the size of hardcovers with thick paper stock that makes 'em look chunky. The ridiculous font and margins in the D&C books, which in terms of word count are big books but not Weeks or Sanderson or Hobb or Jordan big, allows them to appear as long as possible. This explanation is silly, but I can't think of a better one. And maybe it works, at least a bit -- the books do have a satisfying heft to them, though maybe that's just because I'm now conditioned to associate this format with the new Daniel Abraham book, which is a thing I want.

Yeah, if you look at books like Path of Daggers or the like, there does seem to be a serious concern in the fantasy market that your book has too look big to sell or something.

I got my copy Kindle copy from Amazon as well. Funny enough, when I actually checked my Kindle yesterday, the book was available for pre-order on the Kindle itself even when that was not the case on the website.

Archived