[Book Spoilers] The scenes you want to see

reiver

The Tower of Joy should have been in Episode 5 or 6. From what I gather, it wasn't there. So I doubt it will be included, which is a real shame since it was easily the best chapter in the first book. In fact, it's one of the best chapters in all of the series.

The Tower of Joy should have been in Episode 5 or 6. From what I gather, it wasn't there. So I doubt it will be included, which is a real shame since it was easily the best chapter in the first book. In fact, it's one of the best chapters in all of the series.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you know which scene is where? Not that I ever expected the show to include many flashbacks from fifteen years ago, but I'm not sure how you know what is in which episode, unless you're going by title.

Also, I hope they include Beric's death on screen, unlike Martin. Maybe he did not know how big of a hit the B w/o B would be with his fans, or that Beric would be a fan favorite character (Martin is less interested in the magic after all) -- I just hope this is remedied in the show.

Pardon my ignorance, but how do you know which scene is where? Not that I ever expected the show to include many flashbacks from fifteen years ago, but I'm not sure how you know what is in which episode, unless you're going by title.

Also, I hope they include Beric's death on screen, unlike Martin. Maybe he did not know how big of a hit the B w/o B would be with his fans, or that Beric would be a fan favorite character (Martin is less interested in the magic after all) -- I just hope this is remedied in the show.

In the book, Ned has the Tower of Joy dream after he is injured in the Jaime confrontation. Presumeably, that happens in episode 5 or 6. I gathered from reviews and from Ran's thread that the Tower of Joy doesn't happen in Episode 5 or 6. So unless tjey switch the Tower of Joy dream sequence to happen when Ned is imprisoned, then it won't be in the show. Too bad, really.

Viserys being crowned, no doubt. And the Tower of Joy scene - Arthur Dayne is one of my favorite characters in the whole series (strange for someone who's been dead for the whole thing).

I feel the same about Rhaegar, though I imagine I'm not alone there.

Two moments from Game of Thrones really jumped out at me before the show began: "The things I do for love" and Ned's execution. I liked the way the first was handled. Sure, it wasn't exactly the way I imagined it, but I thought it captured the drama and "shock factor" of the moment perfectly. Hopefully Ned's execution will be similarly well done, though I worry about non-book readers having it spoiled for them beforehand.

There aren't really any moments from Clash of Kings I have that level of anticipation for. I'm hoping they'll be able to do the Battle of the Blackwater justice, but that's likely closer to an episode than a scene.

Storm of Swords, though...Joffrey's death, the Red Wedding, Tyrion shooting Tywin...so many things to look forward to! They better not cancel the series before we get that far!

I'm sure there'll be a bunch of other moments I'll start to anticipate once I get going on my pre-Dance reread of the books. These are just the ones that stand out the most for me after having read the books only once, four years ago.

The Red Wedding, the Brotherhood without Banners, "The Dondarrion Reborn" scenes, Arya traveling with a sickly Hound, and Ser Jorah being banished from Daenerys' presence...

All need to be done well!

I don't want to see the Red Wedding - I still can't believe Robb is dead. Ned's death was my first big shock of the series and convinced me that Martin would kill anyone, but I had sort of convinced myself that Robb was going to survive (or more accurately i had assumed he was safe and wasn't an option to be killed). Shocked the hell out of me.

I would think that no Tower of Joy scene would make it incredibly difficult to clue the TV viewers in to the idea that R+L=J. It's got to be in there somewhere/somehow. Maybe right before Ned's death or something??

I would think that no Tower of Joy scene would make it incredibly difficult to clue the TV viewers in to the idea that R+L=J. It's got to be in there somewhere/somehow. Maybe right before Ned's death or something??

I agree. And it would also highlight the virtues and chilvary of the Kingsguard in contrast to how Jaime appears to outsiders, but according to Ran, there is no romanticism when it comes to the Kingsguard in the tv series so I highly doubt that they include it. I hope I'm wrong. Again, it was my favorite scene in the first book.

I'd really like to see Jaime's dinner with Roose Bolton at Harrenhal. Visually, the large hall with the table in the middle, with just three people at it, with the conversation they're having, would be very cool, and very creepy. I'd also like to see Beric/Sandor, Jon/Quorin, Jon meeting Mance, Dany judging Jorah and Barristan.

He dreamt an old dream, of three knights in white cloaks, and a tower long fallen, and Lyanna in her bed of blood.

In the dream his friends rode with him, as they had in real life. Proud Martyn Cassel, Jory's father; faithful Theo Wull; Ethan Glover, who had been Brandon's squire; Ser Mark Ryswell, soft of speech and gentle of heart; the crannogman, Howland Reed; Lord Dustin on his great red stallion. Ned had known their faces as well as he knew his own once, but the years leech at a man's memories. even those he has vowed never to forget. In the dream they were only shadows, grey wraiths on horses made of mist.

They were seven, facing three. In the dream as it had been in life. Yet these were no ordinary three. They waited before the round tower, the red mountains of Dorne at their backs, their white cloaks blowing in the wind. And these were no shadows; their faces burned clear, even now. Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, had a sad smile on his lips. The hilt of his greatsword Dawn poked up over his right shoulder. Ser Oswell Whent was on one knee, sharpening his blade with a whetstone. Across his white-enameled helm, the black bat of his House spread its wings. Between them stood fierce old Ser Gerold Hightower, the White Bull, Lord Commander of the Kingsguard.

"I looked for you on the Trident," Ned said to them.

"We were not there," Ser Gerold answered.

"Woe to the Usurper if we had been," said Ser Oswell.

"When King's Landing fell, Ser Jaime slew your king with a golden sword, and I wondered where you were."

"Far away," Ser Gerold said, "or Aerys would yet sit the Iron Throne, and our false brother would burn in seven hells."

"I came down on Storm's End to lift the siege," Ned told them, "and the Lords Tyrell and Redwyne dipped their banners, and all their knights bent the knee to pledge us fealty. I was certain you would be among them."

"Our knees do not bend easily," said Ser Arthur Dayne.

"Ser Willem Darry is fled to Dragonstone, with your queen and Prince Viserys. I thought you might have sailed with them."

"Ser Willem is a good man and true," said Ser Oswell.

"But not of the Kingsguard," Ser Gerold pointed out. "The Kingsguard does not flee."

"Then or now," said Ser Arthur. He donned his helm.

"We swore a vow," explained old Ser Gerold.

Ned's wraiths moved up beside him, with shadow swords in hand. They were seven against three.

"And now it begins," said Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning. He unsheathed Dawn and held it with both hands. The blade was pale as milkglass, alive with light.

"No," Ned said with sadness in his voice. "Now it ends." As they came together in a rush of steel and shadow, he could hear Lyanna screaming. "Eddard!" she called. A storm of rose petals blew across a blood-streaked sky, as blue as the eyes of death.

"Lord Eddard," Lyanna called again.

"I promise," he whispered. "Lya, I promise..."

Only Ned and Howland Reed survived that bloodbath. Seeing it onscreen would be beyond epic.

I agree. And it would also highlight the virtues and chilvary of the Kingsguard in contrast to how Jaime appears to outsiders, but according to Ran, there is no romanticism when it comes to the Kingsguard in the tv series so I highly doubt that they include it. I hope I'm wrong. Again, it was my favorite scene in the first book.

:thumbsdown:

Well there's one reason the TV show will never surpass the books then...removing the romanticism from the Kingsguard is just...meh.

Could just have been time-shifted to later? Maybe right at the end of the first season, along with Ned's death? That would make a hell of a double-whammy to end the season on, and would also sort of make sense (him having a last dream before he dies).

God - reading that scene gives me chills.

I bet those are cool but the links are all dead. :(

Edit - OK, nevermind - they worked as long as I copied the link location & pasted the url into my browser, hmm.

Ya, that page is a big protective it looks like. You have to log in to browse things.

I don't want to see the Red Wedding - I still can't believe Robb is dead. Ned's death was my first big shock of the series and convinced me that Martin would kill anyone, but I had sort of convinced myself that Robb was going to survive (or more accurately i had assumed he was safe and wasn't an option to be killed). Shocked the hell out of me.

I thought that even if Ned was dead the Starks would still win in the end. When Robb died that was destroyed.

Made me realize the real story is about the others, not about the pety strugle for power.

I really want to see the scene where Donal Noye the one-armed blacksmith sets Jon straight about his sense of superiority versus his fellow Night's Watch brothers. It has always stuck out in my mind when I remember Jon's parts from the first book.

Archived