Football/Soccer XVIII: A Game Of Throw-Ins

mormont

Samaras is a fucking disaster. It shouldn't have been a penalty in the first place, but then I wouldn't have even had Samaras on the bench. Hooper and Stokes are amazing together. But ah well, we've a game in hand to take us closer to the title.

Sad to see the Rangers supporters boo Lennon as he came off. Not surprised, just hopeful. Goes to show that they're united in their campaign of hate.

Old Firm time. If we beat the Huns today, I'll be a very happy camper.

Sad to see the Rangers supporters boo Lennon as he came off. Not surprised, just hopeful. Goes to show that they're united in their campaign of hate.

Irony.

I think he means you calling Rangers the "huns".

I don't think you can be suprised at Lennon being booed. While i agree it would have been nice to see the Rangers fans demonstrate some sort of opposition to the death threats etc. i don't think it's a suprise that the manager of the opposing team is booed in a derby. Lennon gets booed in every ground in the country and he more than warrants it, he was a nasty piece of work on the pitch and now he's the same as a manager. That's not saying i want him dead or that i approve of any of the retarded old firm crap that both teams fling about but when he comes to Tynecastle i'll boo him as well.

I think he means you calling Rangers the "huns".

I don't think you can be suprised at Lennon being booed. While i agree it would have been nice to see the Rangers fans demonstrate some sort of opposition to the death threats etc. i don't think it's a suprise that the manager of the opposing team is booed in a derby. Lennon gets booed in every ground in the country and he more than warrants it, he was a nasty piece of work on the pitch and now he's the same as a manager. That's not saying i want him dead or that i approve of any of the retarded old firm crap that both teams fling about but when he comes to Tynecastle i'll boo him as well.

Alright, lads, I don't view it as an insult or that derogatory. I use it sparingly and when I do it's not really meant to convey some ill. Simply a reminder of who we're facing. :P

But anyway, I was looking to know why you view him as a 'nasty piece of work'. I too was hoping the Rangers fans would oppose the 'small few' who've most likely been implementing these attacks on Lennon. However, it appears their entire support are on the same level. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't leave the house for a pint of milk. He's been beaten up before by Glasgow's finest. I just wish the police would 'crack some heads' and put this nonsense to bed.

Worried at the thought of violence on the streets of Glasgow tonight. Civil unrest.

But anyway, I was looking to know why you view him as a 'nasty piece of work'.

His attitude on the pitch was appalling. He was constantly griping and fouling, made all the worse because he got the usual OF dispensation that meant he got away with murder. He made several challenges that were not just bad but seemed deliberately intended to cause harm. Generally he had a demeanour as likeable as El Hadj Diouf's, there was just something about the way he played and his attitude that i really, really reacted to and i know a lot of other people did as well.

As a manager he's a complete whinger and he's continued his unlikeable attitude and aggression on the sidelines (or the stands since he's been sent to them so many times). I don't like the way he and Celtic generally behave regarding his transgressions with a combination of the victim card and bullying.

I also don't like the way Celtic fans (inc. my mate) always make out that he's so innocent and that it's all a conspiracy of anti catholic sentiment. I understand the idolising of a player who gets up the noses of the opposition from the "well he's our bastard", i felt that way about Paul Hartley when he played for us, but the complete blindspot and denial of any wrongs on his part gets up my nose.

I know he has mental problems and has had a shitty time from bigots and thugs but even if that's the reason he's a cock I can't overlook the way he acts, even if i can understand some of the motivation.

in premiership news arsenal almost, kind of, sort of, a little bit look like they want to try to push for a title run in these final games. or they are content flopping into third place.

with potential new ownership will arsenal change the way they govern the club? it has been stated for years that they are a team that sells to pay salaries, for emerites stadium, etc. with new money would they finally be willing to buy proven players? i do love watching what they can do with youngsters. their passing and possession play is very un-premiership. but, if they are not winning trophies i cannot see how wenger can keep going at it the way he has. is he truly someone who you could sack?

I can't envisage Arsenal FC without Arsene Wenger involved in some capacity. He'll either remain as manager, or move upstairs into a director-like position, I'd imagine. The more 'European' directorial position would be an intriguing one. Keep the club sane and have a manager on the touchline and in the dressing room who actually can help the club win something!

It's spoken of a great deal how they need a goalkeeper and a 20+ goalscorer, but I don't see Wenger remoulding his squad too much in the summer. United, on the other hand, apparently are going to have a lot of business in the transfer market. They'll become even stronger, giving Arsenal no real chance of winning a league title in the next few years.

I can't envisage Arsenal FC without Arsene Wenger involved in some capacity. He'll either remain as manager, or move upstairs into a director-like position, I'd imagine. The more 'European' directorial position would be an intriguing one. Keep the club sane and have a manager on the touchline and in the dressing room who actually can help the club win something!

It's spoken of a great deal how they need a goalkeeper and a 20+ goalscorer, but I don't see Wenger remoulding his squad too much in the summer. United, on the other hand, apparently are going to have a lot of business in the transfer market. They'll become even stronger, giving Arsenal no real chance of winning a league title in the next few years.

how active will united be? they need a new goalkeeper. a little bit more in the midfield would not hurt. but, otherwise they are still quite adept. perhaps another striker.

The only transfer I've heard that they've got arranged is De Gea, Atletico's young goalie, joining the club. But I'd imagine they'll be looking at a central defender, a fullback (possibly), a midfielder or two, and I've even heard talk of another striker being signed. The last strikes me as madness as Rooney, Berbatov and Hernandez are operating pretty well. They simply require better service. A little more creativity coming from midfield and someone to lighten the load on Fletcher, who's about the only real ball-winner in that department.

how active will united be? they need a new goalkeeper. a little bit more in the midfield would not hurt. but, otherwise they are still quite adept. perhaps another striker.

This has been a poor year for the Premiership though, I'd expect the competition to be stronger next year so I don't think United will be willing to stick with the level of perfomance they've had this year (which has been ok but not great). Midfielders would be a priority I'd say.

ETA: Jhogo, Berbatov's been good this year but I wouldn't want to bet much money that he won't be crap next year. I can understand why they'd want another option.

Signing Berbatov for such ridiculous money remains a curious decision, in my eyes. He's near 30, as well, so I wouldn't mind United selling him and recouping some of the money. Owen is near the end of his contract, too, apparently. So I suppose an extra striker might be useful, but Macheda and Wellbeck will return to the club soon and I'd like to see both get a shot.

ETA: Dmitar is 30, now. Yeah.

Hopefully Man U sign Diaby and sell Rooney. That would be the only fair thing to do, since nobody else can be arsed to win the Premiership at the moment, apparently.

But Arsenal need to spend some serious dough. In my opinion, with the team they've got, they'd be overachieving to finish 2nd.

Don't agree with this based on the match I saw. Man U was well ahead of Everton throughout the game and could have closed it much earlier than they did. Everton is a difficult opponent but they didn't deserve a draw here.

I meant that they might have been a touch fortunate after fluffing so many chances and surviving a decent shout for a penalty. For all their dominance, it might have finished as a draw, deserved or not.

Poor old Arsenal, now looking at coming third in a two-horse race. I can't help wondering if it would have turned out differently if Vermaelen had played all season. And yet, perhaps the basic fragility can't be fixed by one player.

It will be interesting to see how much rebuilding goes on. United were very stable this year, with Hernandez as the only major addition I can recall, but they have some gaps to fill this summer. That risks discontinuity in a title-winning squad. It would be classic Fergie to rebuild from a position of strength as champions, but there is uncertainty about new players gelling. Remember Veron. I think United will be willing to rotate between Berbatov, Hernandez and Welbeck to play alongside Rooney. Central midfield and goal-keeper is their biggest problem, possibly some back-up wingers.

Arsenal need to add players too, but will Wenger suddenly change his spots? I think they have a risk of Fabregas leaving too.

Chelsea has an aging squad, but they could keep their current team and benefit from stability. If Lampard and Essien stay healthy next year, Ramirez has finally found his feet, Luiz looks good and they have the whole summer to realize they should stick with 4-3-3 if they can keep Drogba for another year.

Liverpool definitely need to add players. A commanding central defender is a must, hopefully someone who can pass like Agger but without his fragility. And we still need width, especially to provide crosses for Carroll. But that means we might have to reconfigure the line up so that there are roles for Meireles, Kuyt and Gerrard. Perhaps we'll just use attacking full backs (Johnson & Kelly & Flanagan on the right, New & New & Robinson on the left) and use a fast defensive midfielder like Mascherano to cover them. I just hope we can hang on to Reina.

Schaelke are really playing like underdogs in the game tonight. Hanging in there, but a goal seems inevitable. They're really not reacting quick enough to United's movement in the final third and aren't having any success on the break.

Souness, of course, is going with his 'European teams can't handle our level of play' shtick that he usually rolls out, heh. It's too early to say this, but I'm looking forward to United facing one of the Spanish sides. Still can't see them getting the better of one of 'em.

Archived