Major League Baseball

Kat

It's funny because sometimes this year feels like it has to be the worst possible Orioles baseball I've ever watched. And I've already put the misery of last year behind me. On June 29 last year the Orioles were 23-53. Right now they are 35-41, which feels so awful and yet it's not. When the O's had 35 wins last year, they had 73 losses. It's really kind of amazing.

The problem with this year is that the bats were stagnant for like two months and now that they're vaguely heating up, the rotation is bombing. And the bullpen's been a disaster beyond two guys all year. But whose isn't, eh?

The losses frustrate, but this team is fun when they win. And compared to last year we might as well be playing .750 baseball or something.

Just gonna make a sad face after last nights ass kicking.

Braun did extend his hitting streak though...so yay.

How the fuck do the Brewers have to play the Sox, the Rays and the fucking Yankees and St. Louis doesn't? I dislike interleague play damnit.

Fuck inter-league play right in the ear.

LOL - god I love it. It helps that we have one of the best all time interleague records. I fear to think what our winning % this season would be without pounding the NL (except Washington, wtf).

Finally back to a .500 record. Could we be a winning team as of tomorrow? Let's hope so! I can't believe we are only 3.5 games back, given our dismal April/May.

Also, saw Jay Cutler at the game today. I couldn't tell if he was rooting for the Sox or Cubs, and to be honest I'm not sure which I would have preferred. Almost stepped on his toe.

Also also - just realized that the Pirates are above .500 - if the Cards do not win the division, I hope the Pirates surprise the hell outta everyone and take it.

I'm a bit frustrated for the Rays right now. A .554 record would be good enough for outright first in AL Central, AL West, NL Central and second in NL West. Instead we are five games adrift in AL East and not even leading in the league's Wild Card standings :worried:.

@smegma: Yeah NL Central is pretty interesting ATM with four teams over the .500 mark.

I'm so very pissed off about the Padres Mariners game tonight. How hard is it to know the fucking count? I mean sure, the Mariners bats were something awful tonight (two hits both by Greg Halman) but still, we shouldn't lose on a mistake like not having the count right.

For those who don't know what happened, Cameron Maybin was behind the count 0 and 2. after fouling a few times, Doug Fister threw three balls. At that point Maybin took his base, and I almost had an aneurism out of pure rage. Even the umpire in charge of watching the count had 2 and 2 before the third ball was thrown, but he just figured it was wrong. :tantrum:

Re: The All-Stars game...I think that the NL team is about right (although Victorino and McCutcheon are a bit unlucky) but the AL team looks strange to me. Jeter is an all-time great and Cano is having a solid season, but there have been better Yanks than those two this season who have missed out (Teixeira? Sabathia?). Konerko is another glaring omission. And from a Rays' perspective I think that Kotchman is a bit unlucky (BA = .335).

ETA: No Ichiro and Pujols this year, but arguably they don't deserve selection this time around.

Konerko is on the last man ballot, I've been voting - y'all should too. He deserves to be there more than almost anyone. Great guy, career year.

Konerko definitely deserves to be there; I've been voting for him as well. IMO Jeter at SS is a joke. I understand he's a great and all, but he's not even hitting particularly well this year and his defense hasn't been good for a while. Detroit's Jhonny Peralta is having an excellent year at SS and is absolutely a snub.

Think about it. Who does the bulk of All-Star voting? Adults aren't going to spend hours punching multiple ballots or entering multiple ballots online. Kids do the voting. Sometimes they make childish choices. But since they are the future of the game, you want to keep them interested. I have no problems with All-Star 'snubs'.

But yeah, Konerko definitely has earned the chance to go.

I voted 25 times on-line. :leaving:

Yesterday I was at the Louisville Slugger Museum. The highlight was getting to hold a Johnny Bench game-used bat. Also Joey Votto's. It was an interesting factory tour. We saw them making Dustin Pedroia's bats at the time. Lots of neat memorobilia, I highly recommend it to fans of the game.

I voted 25 times on-line. :leaving:

Yesterday I was at the Louisville Slugger Museum. The highlight was getting to hold a Johnny Bench game-used bat. Also Joey Votto's. It was an interesting factory tour. We saw them making Dustin Pedroia's bats at the time. Lots of neat memorobilia, I highly recommend it to fans of the game.

Who are you voting for? Or is that impolite to ask? :P

I've logged at least 100 votes for Konerko and a diverse field of NL candidates. They've made it sooo super easy to vote a lot this year.

Also, yes - the Slugger Museum is great!!! I still treasure my personalized mini-bat that I was given from there.

The Twins tag the Rays for 7 runs? What the hell? 7/9 of our starting line up was batting below .240 at first pitch and we knock Price out?

I officially have no idea what is going on this season. But I would love for Mauer to get closer to .300 than the Mendoza line.

ChiSox-KC ends on a ticky-tack balk call. Third 'balk off' victory of the season. I am usually NOT the one saying 'put your (proverbial) whistle in your pocket in the 4th Qtr/3rd period/9th inning'. But c'mon guys.

Umpires should not be looking for an excuse to call a balk in a key situation. If it is blatant, of course you call it. But that is a pretty crappy way to either win or lose a game. Normally I equate the phrase "Let them play" with "Let them cheat". But in this case, let them play.

ChiSox-KC ends on a ticky-tack balk call. Third 'balk off' victory of the season. I am usually NOT the one saying 'put your (proverbial) whistle in your pocket in the 4th Qtr/3rd period/9th inning'. But c'mon guys.

Umpires should not be looking for an excuse to call a balk in a key situation. If it is blatant, of course you call it. But that is a pretty crappy way to either win or lose a game. Normally I equate the phrase "Let them play" with "Let them cheat". But in this case, let them play.

Yeah it's tough, because it was definitely a balk so it was the right call - but I know if my team had been on the receiving end that I'd be feeling sick to my stomach about it. It's hard to argue against following the rules, but I also understand what you mean as well. The Sox were gonna win that game anyway, there was just too much mojo floating around.

Adam Dunn with two curtain calls. He spoke to reporters saying that he felt great yesterday, back to normal - let's hope this is a sign of things to come. There's no historical reason to think that this guy's career is just over.

The Twins tag the Rays for 7 runs? What the hell? 7/9 of our starting line up was batting below .240 at first pitch and we knock Price out?

Damn that team of yours LL! Yanks and BoSox both have losses and the Rays can't even capitalise with Price on the mound :worried:.

I think I voted about a hundred times this year. It was so easy, and when it got close with Weeks and Fielder I felt i needed to help :rolleyes:

Anyways, they made voting super easy this year.... I hope they keep it that way in the future.

I hope Greinke can pull his head out of his ass, or at least things start going his way a little. Every bad thing that can happen to the Brewers is happening to them right now.

Archived