Capclave 2013 - Columbus Day Weekend- Washington DC

so where are we at for numbers now, bill?

folks: everything on the table clearly labeled so that people can avoid gluten, dairy and meat as needed. please alert me to any other allergies i may need to label for.

i am really looking forward to this. my sous chef for the day started watching the show (would have preferred he read the books, but whatever) to better prepare himself for the people he is helping feed.

he is well aware i am a giant nerd, but i don't think he really knows how giant!

so where are we at for numbers now, bill?

folks: i will everything on the table clearly labeled so that people can avoid gluten, dairy and meat as needed. please alert me to any other allergies i may need to label for.

i am really looking forward to this. my sous chef for the day started watching the show (would have preferred he read the books, but whatever) to better prepare himself for the people he is helping feed.

he is well aware i am a giant nerd, but i don't think he really knows how giant!

Perhaps it would be possible to create a listing of the names of attendees similar to that in the thread of the Worldcon attendees? That would allow for a quick head count check and a way to confirm attendees and drops.

Is the hotel OK with bringing our oun wine? If so, I can bring along some if that is desired.

Thanks.

-Ken currently at LonestarCon3.

Perhaps it would be possible to create a listing of the names of attendees similar to that in the thread of the Worldcon attendees? That would allow for a quick head count check and a way to confirm attendees and drops.

There's already an updated list of attendees in Post #1 of this thread.

I am very tempted to make the trip for this. A lot depends on news I get in the next week about a potential new job.

Is there anyone looking to split a hotel room? That would make it a lot more affordable and likely for me to make the trip.

Never been to this or any con before, up till now only been a "reading fan" if that makes any sense (never posted anything here either for that matter), but I'm very interested in getting into this world. What can you guys tell a newest of newbies about this thing, what's it like, what goes on? If there's another post like this elsewhere I missed please forgive me and feel free to mock me without mercy, but please point me in that direction. Otherwise, what can you tell me? Assume I know pretty much nothing, as I think that's more or less the case. I'm in Baltimore so the trip would be easy enough, what should/do I need to know?

Thanks, really looking forward to the weekend next month.

Never been to this or any con before, up till now only been a "reading fan" if that makes any sense (never posted anything here either for that matter), but I'm very interested in getting into this world. What can you guys tell a newest of newbies about this thing, what's it like, what goes on? If there's another post like this elsewhere I missed please forgive me and feel free to mock me without mercy, but please point me in that direction. Otherwise, what can you tell me? Assume I know pretty much nothing, as I think that's more or less the case. I'm in Baltimore so the trip would be easy enough, what should/do I need to know?

I'm sure others will chime in, but as a start, last year's program schedule is still up, so take a look. >>>http://www.capclave.org/capclave/capclave12/programming.php

The program schedule will tell you about the formal aspects of the event.

For an idea of what'll go on outside the program, you should look at the con reports from LoneStarCon. (Capclave is a smaller, and somewhat more serious gathering, but the BWB will be partying. Of that you can rest assured.)

Expect there to be a few panels you want to go to, but also expect to spend time hanging out with the BwB - you'll need to get somebody's phone number over PM so you can find out where everyone is. There will be lots of hanging on GRRMs every word, eating food, and drinking in room parties. Also, stuff to buy in the dealer's room!

If I can ever get it all together... the program schedule will be up soon. The extended travel around Worldcon is hurting my ability to get things in order this year.

There will be several science panels, some regarding writing, readings, a general interest panels. My self and Makotohanabi will be there starting Thursday and then on through Monday. Cottonseed you are of course welcome to come to the party Friday evening. You will be able to meet numerous BWB members there which will help carry you through the weekend.

Bill

Thanks guys, very much appreciated...I admit to being a little nervous about this and you all made me feel quite welcome.

JetboyGirl, what's PM? For a young guy (30, so I guess when I say young it's relative), I'm horribly uninformed when it comes to web terminology.

All-I have one last question, will/can Capclave sell out? I can buy in now but I'd prefer to wait for my next paycheck in just under two weeks, it'll still be the same price but I'll have more $$. Is this a bad idea? Cause I'll obviously suck it up and buy now if it means the difference between going and not.

Thanks guys, very much appreciated...I admit to being a little nervous about this and you all made me feel quite welcome.

JetboyGirl, what's PM? For a young guy (30, so I guess when I say young it's relative), I'm horribly uninformed when it comes to web terminology.

All-I have one last question, will/can Capclave sell out? I can buy in now but I'd prefer to wait for my next paycheck in just under two weeks, it'll still be the same price but I'll have more $$. Is this a bad idea? Cause I'll obviously suck it up and buy now if it means the difference between going and not.

you can wait. if any news of a run on memberships comes, I'll post that.

Archived