The Long Price Quartet

A Time for Wolves

Just finished AAW,truly one of the better fantasy books I've read. I hope that the next one builds on it.

I thought Autumn was the high point of the series. The finale was good, but didn't live up to the greatness of book 3, IMO.

About halfway done A Autumn War, this is the best one so far. Also, not because its the book I'm reading at the moment, but Otah is a top 5 character of mine. Just a brilliant character!

Maati is a fascinating character as well. Some of his traits remind me of Geder from Dagger & Coin - short, pudgy, and with a resulting lack of confidence which expresses itself in an abuse of power. As each of them have endearing qualities, both commit atrocities (more so in Geder's case - it's like he's Maati taken to the extreme.)

Maati is a fascinating character as well. Some of his traits remind me of Geder from Dagger & Coin - short, pudgy, and with a resulting lack of confidence which expresses itself in an abuse of power. As each of them have endearing qualities, both commit atrocities (more so in Geder's case - it's like he's Maati taken to the extreme.)

I couldn't disagree more. Geder is a nerd in his mom's basement who now gets a chance to seek vengeance against all who wronged him.

Maati on the other hand is just a moderately successful scholar who can't let go of the past. Never once is there a malicious thought. He just can't accept that the world has changed.

Haha, that's good. Thanks guys, can't wait to meet Geder! Abraham is very, very good a character development, there is no doubt about it. WOW, the ending of Autumn, and how all the characters arc ended there, was excellent writing. I'm sure some of their stories are not done, but that was a great way to tie so many together at once.

I finished up this series several months ago and I'd definitely rate it amongst the best completed fantasy series that I've read. One minor thing which was not addressed in the last book that bugged me a little:

What happened to Liat? The last we hear is that she is going to Saraykeht to look for her grandson and since a large chunk of The Price of Spring takes place in Saraykeht, I was a little disappointed when the epilogue didn't shed some light on her fate.

Really loved this series. An Autumn War was probably my favourite, mainly because...

...of the ending. You spend the whole book wondering whether this plan will work or not, whether the Khaiem or the Galts will succeed and then suddenly there's this horrific third option thrown at you. If anything, it set the bar slightly too high for the fourth book ending. It was a little neat, though well written and I enjoyed reading a happy ending for these characters. It just seemed to go against the grain of the message from the rest of the books, that these powerful Andat aren't the answer. Eiah's success at healing everyone and releasing Wounded was admirable, but I just didn't expect the andat to end up being the solution. I was fully prepared for Wounded and Clarity-Of-Sight to go against each other and wreak some Old-Empire style havoc, leaving the situation worse. But as I say, they may not have deserved the ending, but I certainly enjoyed reading it.

What you're describing would be kind of repeating book 3. Besides a slow and horrific genocide did take place even if it was off screen and there was no solution to it by mundane means. Besides I think releasing Wounded did remedy the situation. That thing existed for a page and a half, but fuck it was terrifying

Not remotely. He was a decent man who made tremendous personal sacrifices and saw everything he cherished and worked for in his life go down the drain and still he was trying to fix things. I'd be obsessed with some vindication, too.

Not remotely. He was a decent man who made tremendous personal sacrifices and saw everything he cherished and worked for in his life go down the drain and still he was trying to fix things. I'd be obsessed with some vindication, too.

I am only on book three of D&C, but comparing Maati to Geder is really harsh.

I'm only two books in, and I consider Geder one of the most loathsome characters I've read in fantasy. He is like the embodiment of everything I hate about myself. Maati is a flawed man who makes some mistakes, but I always found him pretty defensible.

I am only on book three of D&C, but comparing Maati to Geder is really harsh.

I'm only two books in, and I consider Geder one of the most loathsome characters I've read in fantasy. He is like the embodiment of everything I hate about myself. Maati is a flawed man who makes some mistakes, but I always found him pretty defensible.

Perhaps not as bad as Geder, but he is pretty bad. I read book 4 and Maati REALLY goes downhill from there. His thoughts, when he KNOWS what Clarity-of-Sight had done to Galts AND several of his former accomplices, he still doesn't admit that he is partially guilty in this, he still thinks Galts have gotten what they deserve (even though he made them Sterile in the previous book). He never feels guilty about sterilizing half of Khoynim and Galts at all. He never thinks its his fault, he just blames everything on Otah and that Otah was unjustified in banning poets and anants. He, like Geder, cannot admit his guilt and blames everything but himself. They forced him to do it!

Perhaps not as bad as Geder, but he is pretty bad. I read book 4 and Maati REALLY goes downhill from there. His thoughts, when he KNOWS what Clarity-of-Sight had done to Galts AND several of his former accomplices, he still doesn't admit that he is partially guilty in this, he still thinks Galts have gotten what they deserve (even though he made them Sterile in the previous book). He never feels guilty about sterilizing half of Khoynim and Galts at all. He never thinks its his fault, he just blames everything on Otah and that Otah was unjustified in banning poets and anants. He, like Geder, cannot admit his guilt and blames everything but himself. They forced him to do it!

I don't have the books in front of me, but I definitely remember a "my god, what have I done!" moment from Maati. In addition, once Blindness was on the loose, he didn't exactly have a lot of time to mope around contemplating, he was mostly focused on stopping things from getting any worse.

There is no question that in the fourth book is the villain, or at least for a large part of it. But still he was trying to fix things and he was looking to get himself vindicated. He didn't instigate the blinding of the Galts and I believe he was largely in denial, because he couldn't deal with the fact that things had gotten to the crapper, yet again. And he feels that he got blamed for everything even though they were all looking to him to save them in book three. He certainly didn't burn down any cities because he was inconvenienced

Archived