NFL Thread #5

BLU-RAY

But I can't argue with the fact that they're playing somewhat well in a division where they get the Rams twice, the Cardinals twice and the Seahawks twice...I guess I'm overstating again :P

I don't know that I'll be convinced even after week 12...

4 of those games are after week 12. Just sayin.'

WE DON'T TAKE NO STUFF, EVERYBODY KNOWS WE'RE TOO TOUGH!

WE WILL ROCK UNTIL WE WIN THAT FIGHT!

Take it easy on Jaxom. He's a Bears fan AND a Cubs fan AND hates hockey. He can neither take succor in the Blackhawks nor give us shit about a song from the 80's.

Yet they've only had one divisional game so far this season, so you can't use that excuse yet. 3 tough road wins have got to mean something.

3 tough road wins? Cincinnati is a tough road win now? I know they're a little better this year, but they're far from elite. I'll give you the Detroit game. And the Philly game was a tough win on paper before the season started, maybe not so much in actual practice. They also lost at home to Dallas.

Look, I'm not saying they're not winning games, and I'm not saying they're not a team that is on an upswing (though they're going to be in need of a QB improvement at some point, as well as find the successor to Gore). I'm just saying that they're doing it on a house of cards right now. The wins are decent wins, but it is they're very weak, very suspect division that will allow for the eventual padding of the record where they might just find themselves in a two seed where they're be very much over their head. Much like Chicago last year.

4 of those games are after week 12. Just sayin.'

4 of those divisional games after week 12 just work in favor of my general disbelief of the team...this doesn't mean they won't go to the playoffs, just that they'll be far from the best team in said playoffs, much like Chicago last year...

WE WILL ROCK UNTIL WE WIN THAT FIGHT!

Take it easy on Jaxom. He's a Bears fan AND a Cubs fan AND hates hockey. He can neither take succor in the Blackhawks nor give us shit about a song from the 80's.

Look, hockey simply wastes valuable radio (and television) time where I could be listening or watching things I actually care about...and to have hockey discussion on an actual sports radio station? I mean, talk less hockey and more real sports, damn it!

Yet they've only had one divisional game so far this season, so you can't use that excuse yet. 3 tough road wins have got to mean something.

Agreed. 49ers have absolutely proven they're for real. They're a few seconds away from being undefeated. They've beaten Detroit, they've beaten Philly, they've kicked the living shit out of the Bucs. And they play defense as well as anyone - a rare thing in this modern NFL. Sure they still have a big question at QB when you compare them against other likely playoff teams but that should all be gravy. The fact is they should be compared against the other NFC playoff teams at this point and not, say, other surprise teams or the NFC West. The only team in the conference we can say for sure is more solid is the Packers. That's it.

ETA: Didn't realize it but the fact I'm disagreeing with Jaxom too just makes this cake.

4 of those divisional games after week 12 just work in favor of my general disbelief of the team...

I'm interested to hear how you will spin this as an argument against MY disbelief that they are good again until after week 12.

Good luck.

I'm interested to hear how you will spin this as an argument against MY disbelief that they are good again until after week 12.

Good luck.

Hmmmm...spin? Maybe I'm just not being as clear as I'd like. What I'm attempting to get at, and apparently badly at that, is that 4 divisional games to close out the season, against that NFC West...that's just padding the win/loss stats and possibly vaulting them into a playoff seed that they might not actually be good enough to be justified in having.

Do I think they're a playoff team this year? Sure, especially out of the NFC West. Do I think they're a 2 seed? No. But with the NFC West as their division, they've got a shot at getting it.

Look, I promise I'll admit I was wrong if Alex Smith actually takes this team somewhere this season. That much I can do.

If you want to attack it from that angle, I will disagree less. The thing is, I don't believe that they're doing this on the strength of Smith's play. His lack of turnovers have certainly helped, but it's not like he's carrying the team on his back. The defense is doing that.

If you want to attack it from that angle, I will disagree less. The thing is, I don't believe that they're doing this on the strength of Smith's play. His lack of turnovers have certainly helped, but it's not like he's carrying the team on his back. The defense is doing that.

That I'll concede. But this Niners team is not the 2000 Ravens either...

Hmmmm...spin? Maybe I'm just not being as clear as I'd like. What I'm attempting to get at, and apparently badly at that, is that 4 divisional games to close out the season, against that NFC West...that's just padding the win/loss stats and possibly vaulting them into a playoff seed that they might not actually be good enough to be justified in having.

Yep. And we all get that. That's why some of us are holding off on bravado until they beat more than one good opponent. However, say the 49ers beat the shit out of the Ravens or get destroyed by the Ravens... does it really matter what the last 5 games mean? They are either good or not good.

Do I think they're a playoff team this year? Sure, especially out of the NFC West. Do I think they're a 2 seed? No. But with the NFC West as their division, they've got a shot at getting it.

Duh.

Right. He's just not fucking it up this time. They've had weapons, defense, and Gore for years. Now the QB isn't fucking it up.

The 49ers very well may get the 2nd seed. The East and the South are going to be beating the shit out of each other. Conventional wisdom is that 10 wins will win the NFC East. The South plays the North and the and the AFC South, a mixed bag. I'd say San Fran's competition will be the Saints or Tampa. That head-to-head smackdown they gave Tampa looms large.

Maybe a bit strong, but there is defintely some smoke and mirrors in play right now. Look, I promise I'll admit I was wrong if Alex Smith actually takes this team somewhere this season. That much I can do.

As said above, I don't think Smith has to take them anywhere. But I think you can virtually pencil them in for the NFC championship. Football Outsiders currently has the 49ers playoff chances at 99%. Their final record will be 12-4 or better which is almost assuredly good enough for a bye and a home game at Candlestick (I refuse to call it anything other than that.)

I don't think you can make a definitive argument for anyone else in the NFC being better other than the Packers. The Falcons are a shadow of what they were supposed to be. The Saints are flawed. The Bucs have already been shown the door out west. The Lions will be one of the two wild cards and they've been beaten. The entire NFC East has flaws; yes, the Cowboys beat SanFran at home but its far from assured that they will even make the playoffs with their inconsistency through the first third of the season.

I'm not saying that this is the greatest San Francisco team since 1994 and I'm also not saying that Alex Smith is the second coming of Steve Young, but a NFL coach once said "You are what your record says you are." Right now, that says that the 49ers are the second best team in the NFC and I have yet to see anything on the field to disavow me of that notion.

I don't think you can make a definitive argument for anyone else in the NFC being better other than the Packers.
And that's exactly it. The 49ers should be able to be competitive in any game with anyone in the NFC save perhaps the Packers. They've already played competitively against other contenders - Dallas, the Lions, Philly, and Tampa (and in the case with Tampa they utterly dominated the game). Who is left? NO, maybe Atlanta, the GIants, the Packers and the Bears? I can see the 49ers being in games with any or all of those teams. Why would they get beaten by any of them? Tampa just wrecked NO, the Bears aren't great and certainly aren't good against the run, Atlanta barely beat Seattle, the Giants are about the only team that could put up a fight and they are hugely inconsistent.

It's possible that the 49ers could fail down the stretch, though the collapse would be ridiculous; they have by far played their hardest games and have 2 games against Arizona, 2 against STL and 1 more against Seattle left. That alone is another 4 wins and more realistically 5. We can assume worst case scenario and see a loss to Baltimore at Bal and Pittsburgh (though realistically that should be favored by the 49ers given how bad the Steelers are right now). So that's 10-3. To get to 12 wins they have to get 2 of three from Cleveland, Washington and NYG. That seems very, very doable. And who else is going to come close to 12 wins and be on top of their division? Not anyone from the South. Not anyone from the East. The Lions could get to 12 wins but it won't matter.

True, but I don't think anyone is talking Superbowl at this point.

At this point, the NFC looks like Green Bay and everybody else. Anything can happen, of course, but the remaining contenders (New Orleans, San Fran, Detroit, whoever gets it together in the East) all have serious shortcomings that the Packers just don't have. Green Bay had an off game against St. Louis and still won by 3 touchdowns.

The big question is, of course, how good they'll be playing come playoff time, because you can't win a championship in October (nobody watches baseball anymore). But the Packers look well ahead right now, and thus hype about other NFC teams is pretty muted.

That all being said, while the Packers do look great against good competition it doesn't take much to lose a game. Some bad fumble luck, a bad call or two and you can easily find yourself losing. The Packers aren't so dominant that they can play mistake-prone football and still win. They'll be favored, but they're not juggernauts.

I could easily see the 49ers winning a game against 'em. It would take some of the best pass rushing we've seen from the 49ers combined with some very bad luck from the Packers and possibly a blown play, but that's not that insane.

Archived