How I Met Your Mother 3

Tammy

Speaking of Kevin, where the hell was he in this episode?

I wondered that too, but I told myself that it's Thanksgiving, he's probably with his family and maybe it was too soon for Robin to meet them? Ha, I like to make up stories to make shows work. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I thought it was a good episode. Glad they didn't go the preggo route with Robin, and as someone who doesn't want kids myself, it was interesting to see her struggle with the news. Honestly I have no idea how I would react.

It was a really good episode. They really took the convention of Older Ted telling the story and turned it on it's ear by having someone else telling the tale. Mrs. Jax honestly thought, as it went along, that the reveal was going to be Robin telling the story to Barney's kids, but they actually weren't hers.

The end was kinda heart wrenching. Almost on par with the death of Marshal's dad the season before.

I had to think about the "B" story with Marshal, but it actually kind of fit with the whole theme of children and parenting that the season has been geared towards as well as the struggle Robin was going through.

And one other thing: I've been contemplating how Victoria commented that Ted could never settle down as long as Robin was about and I've rejected her theory after last night. For one thing, Robin has never been anything more than "Aunt Robin" during the entire run of the show, but last night showed how Ted and Robin's relationship has developed into a very strong friendship. It's almost as if she's on the verge of supplanting Marshal as his best friend. There might be something that needs to be addressed when Ted meets the mother, but they've settled into a platonic friendship built on mutual trust and love.

Well that was... pretty sad. Good episode though.

I thought it was going to turn out that she had adopted the kids. Interesting twist.

I hope Marshall has a chance to get revenge on the kid who partied in his house, saw his wife's boobs, and got $50 out of the deal.

I was very worried that Ted and Robin were going to kiss at the end and I'm SO glad they didn't go that route.

I'm worried about Victoria's foreshadowing, though. "Robin is still in your way," blah blah blah. I want the Ted/Robin book to be permanently closed. I was glad they didn't choose to go that route...this week. Who knows what they'll try to pull before Robin gets married to Barney? And yes, it's obviously going to be her. She wasn't featured in any of the flashbacks that we saw of the wedding scenes, nor was Lily, implying that Robin is the bride and Lily is the maid of honor. And besides, at this point, there wouldn't be any dramatic satisfaction in it being someone other than Robin who will be marrying Barney. Nora was never given enough screen time to develop (even though she was likeable, more so than Robin's character), and they haven't introduced anyone else that Barney would have a chance at settling down with. After six years, it will take more than twelve episodes to make Barney fall in love.

Just don't let Robin sleep with Ted for more unnecessary friends' drama.

It was pretty sad, but I'm glad they didn't do this to Robin's character. They also closed the door permanently on this, cause now we know that her character will never go that way. Pretty good episode, though I miss Barney's awesomeness and Ted's ridiculousness. They need to be less serious in the next few episodes.

I hope Marshall has a chance to get revenge on the kid who partied in his house, saw his wife's boobs, and got $50 out of the deal.

Heh. I thought it was going to turn out that the kid was actually the son of the guy who won the lights contest that Marshal was talking about to set that all up.

When he went into the house, I thought maybe the kid was going to rob it, but then no. Sandwich. Too funny.

Good ep.

Barney's sudden swing to wanting kids was a bit absurd, but I guess it follows the bro-doption mania. I'm glad they didn't try to prolong that though. They handled the ending well and didn't attempt a schmaltzy about-turn for Robin's character.

Not many sitcoms address the growing childlessness in America. For the past 10-20 years the pattern has been for deferring children, which has been addressed a lot, but there is a growing trend to no-kids rather than just kids-later.

I thought it really hit a lot of good notes. I know a few couples who are childless by choice, it's not that they don't want kids, they just don't want them enough to give up their carreers, independence, etc. It's how I am horse less by choice, it not that I wouldn't like a pony, just not enough to actually invest the time and money it would take to have one.

I think Robin was one of those people. She never wanted to give up her career, or her independce, and so she decided she wasn't going to have kids. The price to reward was to high. But I think she liked knowing it was an option. Like if she suddenly became rich and famous, could have tons of nannies, etc. She might consider it. Having that door shut, just as all friends are either having children, or longing for children , it would be emotionally hard. Also I think Barney realizing he wanted kids, was a big blow to her. Even a guy who can make a holiday out of the fact that he's not a father, can suddenly want kids, she was probably thinking about how that bodes for her in future relationships.

In all I think she'll bounce back from it quickly because she didn't want children. But I'm glad the episode actually let her mourn the fact that she was now unable to.

I also think Victoria was dead on. Ted has a strong friendship with Robin, but I think he also has a bit more then that. If Robin had a change of heart, and suddenly wanted to get married, adopt children. He would back in love with her in a second. He treats her more like Stella, then he does Barney. I can't see him making an honest connection with a girl and falling in love until he can he scales back from her a bit. She's still his safety, and I think that saftey net needs to be cut before he can really fall.

One thing I pointed out to my roommate is that its not like she could never, ever have children in the future. She could always adopt.

I actually thought that the kids she was talking to were adopted, tbh.

Heh. I thought it was going to turn out that the kid was actually the son of the guy who won the lights contest that Marshal was talking about to set that all up.

Yeah, my first thought was that he was a double-agent sent by the rival Christmas lights guy as well!

When he went into the house, I thought maybe the kid was going to rob it, but then no. Sandwich. Too funny.

Totally missed the sandwich reference! Hahaha!

She wasn't featured in any of the flashbacks that we saw of the wedding scenes, nor was Lily, implying that Robin is the bride and Lily is the maid of honor.

unless i'm mistaken, lilly did show up in one of the flashbacks, the one when tedd and marshall are sitting in a church yard drinking beer and tedd says that marshall has improved church (or something like that) and lilly comes and tells tedd the groom wants to talk to him.

unless i'm mistaken, lilly did show up in one of the flashbacks, the one when tedd and marshall are sitting in a church yard drinking beer and tedd says that marshall has improved church (or something like that) and lilly comes and tells tedd the groom wants to talk to him.

I just rewatched that episode - you're right. Her dress looked like it could have been a bridesmaid dress, satiny, not too short, but it was pink. I don't see Robin as a lady who wants pink bridesmaid dresses. Also, if it matters, Lily isn't pregnant in that scene.

• 2 months later...

Archived