Former Penn State Football Coach Sexual Abuse Coverup

kairparavel

Something I'm terrified about is that McQueary is appearing more and more of an unreliable witness. Stating that he went to the police when there's no record of it is not a good sign. Doing things like attending luncheons weeks after the incident with Sandusky is also very puzzling.

http://www.nytimes.c...=2&pagewanted=1

It's a very lengthy, very very informative article in the grand jury investigation.

Thank you. The Score was mentioning this tonight and I was going to looking for it to read.

The only way I can see them playing in a bowl, is if they donate the money they get from the bowl to a child abuse help group. They still have a chance of going to the Rose bowl or a bigger New Years Day bowl, and most of those are big money games. The will get some of the B1G 18 million for the BCS game, it would be a very good idea if they donate that if they go to a bowl or not.

As I mentioned way earlier...Penn State needs to play in a Bowl game for the money to help pay out the civil lawsuits they're going to face.

While I remain neutral on the whole "let them play" attitude, I find it difficult to believe that the players were unaware of rumors or stories. The simple fact that this seems to have been an open secret, one that Sandusky felt bulletproof enough over that he flaunted the boys about campus, has to lead to the logical conclusion that the players also suspected, if not knew. That being said, if none of them were direct witnesses to anything, it is hard to say that they shouldn't be allowed to play football because of this. I hope that made sense.

The idea that they should play football to start the healing process though? Well, football kinda caused this problem in a way, didn't it? Specifically the idea that a college coach is a god among men. Using football to "heal" seems a little disingenuous.

I think Penn State should continue to play football. None of the players are implicated even if they heard rumors of this scandal. It's not their job to investigate rumors nor does it make sense for them to quit the team for hearing rumors. I agree playing football to heal is disingenuous. But, at the same time, they have a lot of talented young players who may have pro careers....uuughh. What a mess.

No matter what, the thought of Penn State playing in the Rose bowl doesn't sit well with me at all. Probably, we won't have to worry about that though because the Badgers should beat them in their game coming up. Let's hope so.

Bones- if you transfer to another D1 school, you lose a year of eligibility unless the NCAA makes an exception. They might to so in this case... but it's the NCAA, so who knows?

JoePa now has lung-cancer, and the Faculty Senate held an emergency meeting today. Basically, my physiology professor is the Senator for the college of science, and he wanted them last week to hold a general body meeting and draft a resolution about shit, but the next GBM wasn't scheduled til after Thanksgiving, so he had to draft a petition and get signatures, and he finally got them to hold a GBM today, but another problem was that their petition was to hold a GBM on a resolution asking for an independent inquiry to be set-up, not one headed by a BoTrustees member like the current inquiry. The Faculty Senate President approved the petition, but he literally rewrote the petition to exclude that, so my physiology professor was pissed, but anyway, they held the GBM and he managed to get them to pass a resolution asking for an independent inquiry.

But it was kinda interesting hearing him rant how he kept being ignored by the faculty president president, and how they kept trying to rewrite the resolutions and statements to make them more political, it was interesting.

College football coaches have an average salary of $1.5 million/year. You could hire at least 10 faculty for that price (probably more) and I guarantee at least 9 out of them would not have a prediliction for forcible intercourse with a minor (allegedly).

Sorry to keep harping on this, but you can cite any number of dollars a football program brings in to the University of Alabama, I guarantee that hiring 10 biomedical professors will probably beat that in tangible/intangible benefits over the years.

No wonder many of these overpaid thugs think they are above the law.

Sorry to keep harping on this, but you can cite any number of dollars a football program brings in to the University of Alabama, I guarantee that hiring 10 biomedical professors will probably beat that in tangible/intangible benefits over the years.

I would be glad if it were so, but I very much doubt it because football brings its own intangible benefits. Aside from the direct revenue, I would posit the main benefit is loyalty. Do you think that if 10 biomedical professors were accused of something horrible, there would be thousands of students on the streets expressing their support? In this case, the loyalty is probably misplaced, but you can't deny its intensity.

Yes, but I've already said I have no use for that kind of unthinking tribalism. The flip side is you wouldn't have people flipping over cars or vandalizing property en masse when Professor X wins the Nobel Prize or loses out an NIH grant.

And just to reiterate, the fact that you need to be be loyal to an entire institution because some buncha people know how to carry an oblong piece of pigskin across 100 yards better than some other buncha people is not the kind of loyalty I care about. I may be part of the 1% in this regard though.

Yes, but I've already said I have no use for that kind of unthinking tribalism. The flip side is you wouldn't have people flipping over cars or vandalizing property en masse when Professor X wins the Nobel Prize or loses out an NIH grant.

And just to reiterate, the fact that you need to be be loyal to an entire institution because some buncha people know how to carry an oblong piece of pigskin across 100 yards better than some other buncha people is not the kind of loyalty I care about. I may be part of the 1% in this regard though.

professor x is never going to win a nobel prize. the nobel laureate is not at all ready to let an omega level mutant win something of that importance. truly i understand your outrage at such a notable academic leader like charles xavier not winning a nobel prize, but this just not the thread for it. we have gone into a whole different territory here.

Archived