The Green Grace is the Harpy

I too thought GG was referring to Daario rather than Brown Ben Plumm, and perhaps GG felt as though she had one over on Dany, so to speak, since Dany assumed incorrectly. Until this thread, I have to admit I wasn't too sure who the Harpy could be, I had believed it was a group of people rather than just one. But, I have to admit the evidence presented here so far is very convincing. I'm pretty sold on this being a real possibility.

Also, hi! I've been reading through the forum for about a week now and this is my first post.

Welcome to the forums! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

I just can't wait for Tyrion to get in there and OPEN DANY'S EYES!!!! I think he will definitely be the one to figure out a lot of this tuff, as he is so good at reading people and he was onto Plumm straight away. Perhaps the smart thing to do would be to have him quiet and in the background and observing, and then privately telling her what he has observed and deduced. People would underestimate him and then Dany would look a whole lot better!

The same way he discovered who was behind his and Joeffrey's downfall?

Maybe he's best when his daddy isn't around but I personally don't put too much hope to him. All he figured out was that sellswords are greedy...

Back to the OP, I'm convinced 100% that the Green Grace is fishy at best and probably the Harpy.

There are three things that stoke me as I read the posts.

1 Being a major fan of Olenna Tyrell I would also be in admiration if she brings Dany down (altought I personally think Dany will never set foot in Westeros, where there are no slaves to free)

2 I came to realise that the meereenese nobility is actually quite slopy^^

I mean their champion gets humiliated in his duel against Strong Belwas.

They don't seem to have a very advance political mind, Hizdahr is onetrack minded on the reopening of the fighting pit. And he is suposed to be the best... So I don't see nobility being the motor the sons of the Harpy.

3 It's not a cultural thing for a religious figure to hold power in Meereene (because they have been disposesed of it) or in every location Dany has ever been. That's why the Green Grace doesn't raise suspicions even the mind of native meereenese. In Westeros, the high Septon would be more suspect than a Varys for public crimes against the regime, not in Meereene it seems. (In my opinion Shaveplate and Reznak can't be both rooting for the sons so one of them should have pointed out that the Green Grace was a potential suspect if it was not impossible in their minds. Maybe they are blinded by another cultural factor : sexism)

As for Dany, it's one thing to lead fanatics who literally worship you (and in that respect I can see her getting a new khalassar) but it's another to rule over people with completely different culture/interrests than you. Her meereenese testrun was a failure and I hope she learns for it.

Barristan is a bodyguard and no better than Dany in that respect : as long as someone doesn't openly attack (like the Yunkish) they are not a real danger. So I don't place much hope in him to find out who the Harpy is, but he will crush his enemies I'm confident about that.

Tyrion and Victarion might bring new perspectives. Which could lead to the reveal... or not.

• 2 weeks later...

I have read these posts before and I am just not sold on it.

The Green Grace has pretty much unfettered access to Dany.

Seems to me if she wanted her dead, she would just shank her or poison her drink while they dine together.

The Harpy seems to hate Dany with a passion, so even if she had a pretty good chance of being caught, I feel like she would just do it.

Plus religious fanatics rarely care if they die.

It kind of strikes me as one of those James Bond esque scenes where there is some overly complicated mechanism to kill someone when it would be quicker, easier, and more certain to just do the deed.

Its also possible that there is no "Harpy" and just a bunch of independent cells doing what they can to make trouble.

Like all these little "Al Qaeda" cells that are really just stupid kids who spent too much time on the internet.

IF there is a Harpy and IF it is the Green Grace she is a complete coward.

I was always suspicious of the green grace. She is just to in the know with meerenese nobility to not at least have a hint as to who is the harpy even if she isn't the harpy herself. Also I tend to distrust anybody who dany likes immediately like the green grace or Dario. Anybody worth trusting takes a while for her to warm up to like barristan or drogo. As far as her naïveté concerning the green grace remember she is only fifteen with the shortcomings that go with it even if she's a bad ass dragon having slave freeing conquereress.

• 6 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I listened to the audio book version entirely in the first 3 days of it's release. Last month I fired it up again to take it a bit slower (I missed some finer points when trying to drive and listen at the same time). And it dawned on me that I honestly believed it was revealed somehow that the GG is the Harpy, so when I got to the end of the book and it wasn't I realized I was so convinced of her that I made it actual fact in my memory.

Not really proof, but if you knew me personally, you'd know I don't make mistakes, so rest assured, she's the Harpy.

My exact experience. When I read ADWD the first time, I came away knowing the the GG was the Harpy. When reading the book for the second time I kept waiting for the reveal and was surprised when I got to the end and nothing had been said about it.

As a random musing, the Green Grace's name is Galazza Galare. There is a neighberhood in a small town in San Marino called Galazzano. The small town that Galazzano is in is called Serravalle. Perhaps a connection between Illyrio's lost love and the Green Grace?

I would note that Serra calls Shiera Seastar's name to mind. Shiera had one green eye and one blue eye, while Serra had blue eyes and Galazza had green, hmmm.

In barristan's last chapter, the green grace is sent to treat with the yunkish and bring back the hostages. She could have easily rilled up the yunkish to attack meereen. That arseholes the harpy

But they did attack. No sooner is she sitting down with Barristan than the trebuchets start throwing corpses over the wall. And she knew without looking that they were corpses.

This is a great analysis of what's going on during the whole Meereen storyline: http://meereeneseblot.wordpress.com/

Has me convinced, that Skahaz is behind the locust poisoning, trying to pull a Littlefinger.

If the poisoning succeeds, Hizdahr becomes king. How does this work in the Shavepate's favor?

The green grace is the harpy, it is known. I've read the stories a million times. Finally posting on the forums today. I've read all the theories. Most of it seems to be fan fiction but there's some really good ones. Most of the OP's have a plausibility that you can find evidence for in the book. I think most people just confuse the TV show characters with the book characters. It's hard for me to even watch the show sometimes. Then again I'm a purist.

• 2 months later...

I have this crackpot theory that the locusts were actually coated in the berries that made Dany ill and possibly led to a miscarriage while she was wondering the Dothraki Sea after the flight from Meereen. It was known that Dany and Daario were having sex and Dany also declined having her lady parts be physically examined by Hizdahr's female relatives. They knew she would not still be a virgin considering she had previously been married, though it's unknown if they knew she had carried a child before, so what else would they have wanted to look for except to see if she was possibly already pregnant? At court, she's constantly noted to nibble on her food. I think perhaps that a berry-coated locust or two would have been enough to induce an abortion and possible discomfort but when eaten in large quantity they would make one violently ill, such as they did with Belwas and then later with Dany when she gobbled up large amounts.

I think this was the post that got me thinking along the lines of causing Dany to abort, and I'm glad the thread has popped up again , because I'd forgotten what started me off. ( Thanks, Dr.P ..)

As usual , this sent me off to read over and see what I thought ... the result ? Total conversion! It's really the only thing that makes sense to me now , and it's not at all crackpot, not when you look at what the characters do, say ,and consider their possible motivations..

I don't see how Skahaz could have been responsible for the for the locusts.. Hizdahr provided the food..

I've typed my fingers to the bone on this today , over on the Meereenese Blot thread in the general ASoIaF section... http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/119051-the-meereenese-blot/page-10

( I pretty much spilled my guts on pages 10 and11 )

I think the Shavepate is the Harpy. The Green Grace would be too obvious, and Hizdahr would be even more obvious.

Doesn't work. He's genuinely in Dany's camp. Not because of morals or anything, but to profit of her.

And he can't back out at all. The Harpy winning would mean the slaughter of his entire family. Even if the upper echelons would know of him, the rest won't and will take their revenge.

Doesn't work. He's genuinely in Dany's camp. Not because of morals or anything, but to profit of her.

And he can't back out at all. The Harpy winning would mean the slaughter of his entire family. Even if the upper echelons would know of him, the rest won't and will take their revenge.

One could see his advices for a harsher line against the SotH as a way to sabotage Dany's goverment from the inside, in a similar way as some think Varys fueled Aerys' paranoia when he was his Master of Wisperers. He's actively pushing her to take unpopular measures.

One could see his advices for a harsher line against the SotH as a way to sabotage Dany's goverment from the inside, in a similar way as some think Varys fueled Aerys' paranoia when he was his Master of Wisperers. He's actively pushing her to take unpopular measures.

To what end? He heads the list of who will be tortured to death, family included, should Dany fall.

He can't get out of it: Either Dany wins and he profits, or she loses and he pays for it big time. And he's very much aware of that fact.

Archived