Star Wars: The Old Republic: Episode II

Kosciuszko

Very dissatisfied with the game, despite some good things, but ohwell.

I play a Sniper at level 42, and all i can say is Lethality, bitch. In PvE it's okay, but Marksman is more fun, but its absolutely insane in PvP, even though it depletes your energy fairly fast. Its absolutely pointless to do it before level 40 (or 30 at the least) because Cull and Weakening Blast are such crucial parts of the tree - playing without those two is like playing Marksman without Snipe.

Note, spoilers for some of the class quests in Act II and companions below.

I really like most of the Agent companions - Kaliyo is fascinating if a bitch (i dislike her as a character due to all of her lies, but shes still interesting). I love Vector - i use him usually - when geared up alot he does fantastic dps - i companion dueled a mate 6 levels higher then me (just our companions beating on each other) and Vector won (my mate didn't gear his companions up as much as mine but...) i then dueled a Marauder mate the same level as me, just my companion v him, and Vector got him to 30% before dying.

I like him because he agrees with most of my choices - hes very loyal to the empire, but still light-side. Occasionally i lose a whole ton of affection because i'l choose a dark side option because it benefits the empire much more. He is still fun, and although his black eyes freak me out, i find him very interesting, and the whole partly-autonomous part of a hive-mind is intruiging.

Dr Lokin is also interesting - i don't use him in combat because i don't need a healer and his damage is terrible, but hes interesting - cool background, and i love his personality of pragmatism and practicality - disapproving of darkside options unless they actually benefit (so usually when i lose a ton of affection with Vector il quit the convo, summon Lokin, and redo it, and gain a ton of affection with him instead). His intelligence and demeanor are fun, his backstory is fascinating, and i also like the way he looks for some reason - old, grandfatherly type who always looks like he has a slight smile, hiding a potentially deadly, slightly manic, yet rational and calculating interior.

Temple is boring as hell though, and apparently the final companion, while good in combat, is a droid - so meh.

I really wish we saw more interaction between the companions though - it's fun in some of Lokins affection quests when you see him interact with Vector and the two getting along very well, while the few instances of interaction between Vector and Kaliyo are hilarious - ''We are getting along better with her. We no longer invite her to play [some game], she no longer spits in our tea'' in a sort of calm, amused voice. Everyone seems slightly scared of Kaliyo (can't blame them. She broke a freakin Wookiees arm). The little interaction on the ship in class quests is fun, but not enough of it. Also, Temple as a companion feels odd and shunted in - she wasn't really integral to the storyline like Vector or Lokin, and her actual introduction to the crew feels forced.

Also, Vector's 'song' stuff is actually sorta interesting. It's when he says stuff like that, that you really remember hes linked to a hive-mind, which makes his character more interesting.

Temple is boring as hell though, and apparently the final companion, while good in combat, is a droid - so meh.

The final companion has a pretty awesome personality in my opinion. When I initially got her I was so fascinated I was considering using her instead of Kaliyo, but droid gear is hard to come by, while BH loot drops a lot.

The final companion has a pretty awesome personality in my opinion. When I initially got her I was so fascinated I was considering using her instead of Kaliyo, but droid gear is hard to come by, while BH loot drops a lot.

My BH Companion has Columni Chest and Head, some fabulous set of gloves. Quinn has Columni chest too.

(I have columni bracers :()

My BH Companion has Columni Chest and Head, some fabulous set of gloves. Quinn has Columni chest too.

(I have columni bracers :()

Hehe, a few days at lvl50 and already full of ourselves? :P

My Kaliyo has the best* epic lvl50 gear for every slot except implants. My other companions are 50-70% epic geared, except the droid.

*best - excluding hard mode raids, can't need for companions in those yet :D.

P.S. They should really fix Soa HM, phase2 is insanely buggy, random holes in the floor, invisible lightning orbs and etc. Tonight we 1-shotted everything in hard mode EV and normal mode Hutt, but after ~20 wipes on Soa we had to call it. He didn't use to be so buggy, think they messed him up in one of the latest patches.

OK, please help me out here with the talent trees for Jedi Sentinel. Watchman, Combat, Focus....? I did a quick skim read of some posts on the forums, and it seems that each branch of the tree is built around a particular LS form, is that correct. Any guidance or commetns gratefully accepted.

And the damn firewall at work now blocks all websites that it processes as gaming-related, so I can't do further research myself during the day.

Watchman is pretty awesome. Zen will make all your bleed effects crit for a brief period and eventually you should get a talent that will make the bleeds heal you. At the same time you can continue to scale your bleeds up with other talents. Use the form that increases damage by a % with each attack. For Marauder it's Juyo; not sure about for Sentinel.

Combat is good for questing but you want to get to the 30s or 40s to really make use of it. It's less of a hassle as Watchman requires keeping an eye for buffs and keep an eye on Zen to pop.

Focus is the shared tree and does decent damage output, but overall it's fairly PVP focused. I'd suggest Watchman, personally, but my Marauder has pretty much always been Annihilation so take that for what's it worth.

Watchman is pretty awesome. Zen will make all your bleed effects crit for a brief period and eventually you should get a talent that will make the bleeds heal you. At the same time you can continue to scale your bleeds up with other talents. Use the form that increases damage by a % with each attack. For Marauder it's Juyo; not sure about for Sentinel.

Combat is good for questing but you want to get to the 30s or 40s to really make use of it. It's less of a hassle as Watchman requires keeping an eye for buffs and keep an eye on Zen to pop.

Focus is the shared tree and does decent damage output, but overall it's fairly PVP focused. I'd suggest Watchman, personally, but my Marauder has pretty much always been Annihilation so take that for what's it worth.

Thanks Kos. Looks like I will go Combat for grinding through the quests for now, any at least have the Watchman spec bookmarked for the times when I am running Flashpoints and doing a pure DPS role.

Funny so many people here are playing Agents when I think it's the class I see the least of in the game actual.

Yes, dunno what the ratios are on Republic side, but I think despite Solmyr's best efforts (commendable) IAs are still pretty rare. Weirdly, despite Operatives having a reputation for being OP in PvP, the few IAs I see are almost 100% snipers.

Overall, I think 50% of our server is Sith Inquisitors. It's like one huge dress factory at the Imperial Fleet.

I imagine the IAs' mirror, Smuggler, has got far more people playing it due to the male players wanting to be Han Solo with a Wookie, and the female players want to romance Corso Riggs and have a wookie. There can never be enough wookie.

Yes, dunno what the ratios are on Republic side, but I think despite Solmyr's best efforts (commendable) IAs are still pretty rare. Weirdly, despite Operatives having a reputation for being OP in PvP, the few IAs I see are almost 100% snipers.

Overall, I think 50% of our server is Sith Inquisitors. It's like one huge dress factory at the Imperial Fleet.

I imagine the IAs' mirror, Smuggler, has got far more people playing it due to the male players wanting to be Han Solo with a Wookie, and the female players want to romance Corso Riggs and have a wookie. There can never be enough wookie.

Yeah I don't see many IA's on my server either. But the ones I do see are usually Ops actually, that's what my IA is as well but he's only level 11 and I'm not focusing on him for the moment. I see a ton of Bounty Hunters on my server, and a lot of Inquisitors, most of them are assassins though.

We've not played this game in like 3 weeks. We just have no urge to go play it. It is a well crafted game and very technically sound, but gameplay the game doesn't do much for us. There isn't enough to bring us back playing night after night. We like the story elements, but that isn't enough. There are enough little bugs plus the extreme similarity gameplay wise to WoW turns us off. I wonder if people who don't come from MMOs to play this but instead from Bioware console titles like ME enjoy it more?

Did my first Flashpoint last night (yes, at 46) with a mixed group with me healing. It went really well - only casualty was me because I was paying closer attention to them than myself and the tank had...aggro issues.

I really enjoy the shared conversation mechanic - it was fun hearing the male voices (they all had full face masks, so I never saw what they looked like).

I had to apologize to the other SI - he had a name that was akward to say and my brain kept scrambling it into "Shmendrik" (the Magician! :laugh:). Didn't help that his helm looked like a wizard hat...

I'm bummed out though, I'm not going to make 4lvls in 3 days - so I'll either have to wait a month until I get cable hooked up in the new apartment, or I eat ramen noodles for the first few weeks to see how the total bills all stack out and get Comcast early.

I'm really enjoying the game and love my Inquisitor.

BH Friend: "You should play a BH!"

Me: "Why would I want to pew pew with a little gun when I can shoot LIGHTNING! If they get too close, I can smack them in the face with a lightstick, kick them away and then shoot LIGHTNING!"

BH: "Yeah, but I get a jet pack and can use grenades!"

Me: "Dude...LIGHTNING!"

That became the group catchphrase, ^_^

Just soloed the entire Foundry at lvl37 with my Marauder. It felt so exhilarating and the Revan fight felt truly epic, even tho HK took me more tries. If anyone wants tips on how to do it I'll be glad to help (HK can only be soloed with a bug, else it's beyond impossible).

We've not played this game in like 3 weeks. We just have no urge to go play it. It is a well crafted game and very technically sound, but gameplay the game doesn't do much for us. There isn't enough to bring us back playing night after night. We like the story elements, but that isn't enough. There are enough little bugs plus the extreme similarity gameplay wise to WoW turns us off. I wonder if people who don't come from MMOs to play this but instead from Bioware console titles like ME enjoy it more?

Nah, I really dislike both ME1&2, an I've played just about all the MMO's at least through their free trials. I quite enjoy this one though

My maurader is grinding valor levels. at 53 now...battle matser gear will be mine soooon.

got my sorc up to 25...and she's totally OP. Im owning damage AND healing meters in War Zones and im freakin 25.

Smugglers are pretty rare in my server. I am one of three smuggler in the guild. It also has a fairly crap storyling (though it has its ups), so much so that I rolled a Bounty Hunter and Inquisitor. :/

I rolled a Smuggler first and got bored of it. Then I rolled a Trooper and haven't touched the Smuggler since.

I think I'd rather play Knight or Consular over Smuggler now. Solid Snake or Drake from Uncharted >>> Not Balthier. If they weren't going to hire Balthier to be Han Solo, they should have used Drake for that. Just have him use the exact same voice as Drake. Or hire Nathan Fillion. So many options there, come on Bioware.

I care a lot about voice acting apparently.

I don't know why people don't like the smuggler story. Started one the other day just to see republic side and it rocks! Maybe it's because I already play an agent and it makes it easier, but I murder things super easy while looking awesome. And Corso Riggs is just 100 better than Kaliyo. Both a better tank and a much better companion. I can totally see why he is one of the favourite romances. He starts out by giving you a gun! What a guy. And he's cute too.

Keep playing and you will understand. Early parts of Act 1 was the best part of the story (please note i am only lvl 33 so I don't know the whole story yet). It just goes in circles from there with some ups and downs along the way. I don't mind the combat actually. Dirty Kick is just too awesome, both the animation and the sound it makes :).

My issue was it kept getting my expectation high and then failing completely. Who knows, you might like it.

Bounty Hunter storyline is getting tedious, I'm only lvl 16 though. So I'll give it a few more levels. The inquisitor storyline feels like I am actually making an impact. Bounty Hunter and Smuggler storylines are very much lacking when compared to the Inquisitors. How's the Jedi Consular storyline? Anyone has one?

Archived