The Blackfish

crown of gold

He can't get to the Vale through the mountains. On top of the mountain clans increased raiding, which would probably get him killed as he is alone on the run, the passes are already closed by snow. He'd have to get a ship to get to Gulltown, and none of the ports in that area are likely to be amenable to him. Maidenpool and Duskendale are controlled by loyalists. Saltpans is completely destroyed.

I agree. The Vale is more difficult than passing through Frey territory.

Another point in his favour for Hooded Man - Blackfish never met Arya and the Hooded Man is probably someone who didn't know Ramsay married a fake.

I think the BF will randomly meet up with UnCat and company and together they will mount an attack on Casterly Rock and completely annihilate everyone inside to bring the Lannisters to justice. Or like some of the people here think, he could possibly be the Hooded man at Winterfell or even travel to Greywater watch to rendezvous with Howland Reed.

• 1 year later...

I've been working through a re-read and the Blackfish caught my attention moreso than usual. It seems that he was very much in the loop of Robb's plans, and even though Brynden wasn't there to sign the heir delegation documentation, Edmure was and surely they would have discussed it by now.

With Brynden escaped into the Riverlands, and the BwB in the Riverlands fucking up the Freys it seems likely from a storytelling perspective that those threads will tie together and Brynden will get with the BwB to free Edmure.

The drama of the two Tully men meeting Stoneheart would be great as well, GRRM will want to utilise that.

I've been working through a re-read and the Blackfish caught my attention moreso than usual. It seems that he was very much in the loop of Robb's plans, and even though Brynden wasn't there to sign the heir delegation documentation, Edmure was and surely they would have discussed it by now.

With Brynden escaped into the Riverlands, and the BwB in the Riverlands fucking up the Freys it seems likely from a storytelling perspective that those threads will tie together and Brynden will get with the BwB to free Edmure.

The drama of the two Tully men meeting Stoneheart would be great as well, GRRM will want to utilise that.

I've been re-reading too, and agree with you. Edmure undergoes a rapid transformation of spirits during his two meetings with Jaime in AFFC. It is natural that Edmure was wanting to die when Jaime first met. But after the Lannisters take Riverrun and Blackfish escapes, Jaime notes that 'for a man going to spend the rest of his life in captivity, Edmure looks entirely too pleased with himself'. This is because Edmure knows that he is not going to spend the rest of his life in captivity. What happens at Riverrun:

1. Jaime treats with Blackfish, unsuccesfully. At this point, Blackfish is on a suicide mission to starve out the Lannister-Frey alliance.
  2. Jaime talks to Edmure in presence of Tom O' Sevens. He leaves them alone for an unspecified amount of time, not realizing Tom is the outlaws' spy or that the outlaw leader is Edmure's sister.
  3. Tom shares the BwB's rescue plans with Edmure. I don't think Edmure will trust Tom, but Edmure is in a desperate position that he will cling to any hope.
  4. Edmure goes to Riverrun and discusses BwB's plans as well as Robb's last plans (Greywater Watch, Deepwood Motte, Jon Stark etc) to Blackfish. If BF continues the siege, he can save Jeyne Westerling, that is all. If he escapes, he can rescue all the captives from Red Wedding, making the Freys lose hold over other Riverlords. Blackfish escapes to find the Brotherhood and unCat.
  5. Edmure appears to act like he's totally under Jaime's leash, but he has never been the most subtle of men, so can't help looking too pleased with himself.

I still don't understand why no 1 will admit how seriously unlikely it is that the BF could have survived swimming in the river for miles while it is snowing.

What's the point of killing him when he goes rogue? We got an exciting and mysterious cliffhanger about his whereabouts. Why just don't kill him during his meeting with Jaime or surrendiring of Riverrun? It makes no sense.

And we don't know when he stopped swimming. He could go back to walking once he is out Riverrun. It all happened during night after all.

^I'm not saying he was killed off, I'm saying that he is still hiding in Riverrun. I believe this was foreshadowed in the Griffen Reborn chapter when Jon Connington tells his men where to find the nobles of Griffens Roost, they were only able to find the hidey hole because Jon Con was once the lord of the castle, Riverrun should have the same type of hide away.

We don't know exactly how long he stayed in the river but we do know that there was an army encamped around the fortress and that the army had scouts and lookouts posted everywhere on Jaime's orders. We also know that it was cold enough to snow and that the BF is relatively old guy in his 60's. To has completely submerged himself in water that is at best in the 40's, and then swam for what I would argue would have had to have been at least a mile would have left him extremely vulnerable and he would have needed a fire/ fresh clothes and I just don't see where he got that.

^I'm not saying he was killed off, I'm saying that he is still hiding in Riverrun. I believe this was foreshadowed in the Griffen Reborn chapter when Jon Connington tells his men where to find the nobles of Griffens Roost, they were only able to find the hidey hole because Jon Con was once the lord of the castle, Riverrun should have the same type of hide away.

We don't know exactly how long he stayed in the river but we do know that there was an army encamped around the fortress and that the army had scouts and lookouts posted everywhere on Jaime's orders. We also know that it was cold enough to snow and that the BF is relatively old guy in his 60's. To has completely submerged himself in water that is at best in the 40's, and then swam for what I would argue would have had to have been at least a mile would have left him extremely vulnerable and he would have needed a fire/ fresh clothes and I just don't see where he got that.

Never thought about that, but it makes sense. On the other hand he might have had fresh clothes in some waterproof sack with him.

You are right, he could still be in Riverrun and swimming all that way in cold weather is difficult. But I don't thing the latter point will stop GRRM from making Blackfish escape Riverrun by swimming - because a minor stretching of what is realistically possible will open up the story to develop in so many directions - Blackfish can go to Vale, Twins, or even Winterfell as the hooded man. Also, people like Barristan and Blackfish are established as strong fighters(supermen) despite their age.

IMO, it is the Griffin's Roost connection that makes it more plausible that BF could still be hiding in Riverrun. In the same book, we see Cersei burning the Tower of Hand to smoke out Tyrion.

It would make sense for him to go to the Vale for a variety of reasons.

1. He used to be stationed there until he got Robb's memo to join his war party. If you can't go forward, go back.
  2. As far as he knows, Sweetrobin is his only relative that's alive and free, so that would be the only place he could regroup.
  3. The Vale hates the Lannisters and has loads of Lords that would be happy to grant him asylum in secret.
  4. The Vale is the closest non-hostile kingdom to the Riverlands.
  5. He knows LF and could try to bargain with him.
  6. He knows that Winter is setting and that all of Eyerie's household would be moved to the Gates of the Moon, he knows the area well and may even be able to slip in unnoticed and try to reason with Sweetrobin.

It is possible that he could be intercepted by someone on his way there, most likely the BWB. I just hope he won't turn in to another Benjen.

Blackfish is a very cool character. But he is still a Tully which means he is all about the house words. It would be so easy to picture him at the Vale doing his badass thing with every move that makes him so enjoyable to read. However, I think he is loyal to Jeyne and Edmure first in all this. He is not a go with the flow kinda guy. I suspect he is shadowing the caravan to Casterly Rock and will pull a rescue. I also see him happening upon Jamie and Brienne and becoming entangled in their adventure with Lady Stoneheart. Whatever happens, he will do the right thing. Who knows? Perhaps the Vale is where he will hide Edmure and Jeyne? He may feel some responsibility to check in on his little Lord nephew even and ultimately join Team Sansa. That sure to be interesting melee following the appointment of the Winged Knights is destined to have at least one surprise appearance. One thing is certain, wherever Blackfish ends up that story and the characters in it will be all the better for it.

“I will permit you to take the black. Ned Stark’s bastard is the Lord Commander on the Wall.”

The Blackfish narrowed his eyes. “Did your father arrange for that as well? Catelyn never trusted the boy, as I recall, no more than she ever trusted Theon Greyjoy. It would seem she was right about them both. No, ser, I think not. I’ll die warm, if you please, with a sword in hand running red with lion blood.”

could be a crack theory but do you think maybe Blackfish was throwing Jaime off his scent. He did disappear afterwards and based on these words the wall becomes the one place the Lannisters wouldn't look for him in. He could hide there as a new recruit with some made up backstory to get to know Jon and see if Robb was right to legitimize him and name him heir or if he is another Theon like Catelyn thinks.

I think that he will try to rescue Edmure and Jeyne in the prologue. What happens after that is a little more uncertain, but I have a feeling that he will somehow link up with the BwB, because supposedly there will be no new PoW characters and the only two characters we have in the Riverlands at the moment is Jaime and Brienne. They are presumably both with the BwB at this time.

Maybe Brynden and/or Edmure will tell Lady Stoneheart that Jaime never actually broke his promise to never take up arms against the Starks and Tullys ? How she will react to that is anyones guess, as she doesn't exactly seems like a "person" to be reasoned with !

The Blackfish links up with Lady Stoneheart's splinter group.

Brienne brings Jaime back to LSH but betrays her promise to LSH (i.e. Brienne sides with Jaime).

The Blackfish and Jaime fight a duel, as suggested by Jaime during their parlay at Riverrun.

??????

Profit!!

The Blackfish links up with Lady Stoneheart's splinter group.

Brienne brings Jaime back to LSH but betrays her promise to LSH (i.e. Brienne sides with Jaime).

The Blackfish and Jaime fight a duel, as suggested by Jaime during their parlay at Riverrun.

??????

Profit!!

That actually sounds like something that could very well happen, although I would hate for either Jaime, Brienne or the Blackfish to die.

Knowing GRRM atlaest one of them are likely to die soon. :lol:

That actually sounds like something that could very well happen, although I would hate for either Jaime, Brienne or the Blackfish to die.

Knowing GRRM atlaest one of them are likely to die soon. :lol:

Then its either Jaime or Brienne, since BF is no POV. 

I say kill off Stoneheart instead of any characters I've become attached to.  There are some threads covering the Riverlands Web which offer some interesting analysis and theories regarding the BWB--locations, conspirators, motives, identities--good detective work there. The BWB seems to have splintered and lacks a unifying leader.  Black Fish could easily fill that role for them for them.  Edmure as well since he's already shown his loyalty to his small folk.  This would be the ideal place for Blackfish to land ultimately.  Far be it from me to say Tom O' Sevens wasn't openly conspiring with at least Blackfish at River Run.  Last time I read Feast, it seemed to me that Thoros was weary of LSH and was actually sort of sympathetic to Brienne.   Once LSH and her driving revenge are out of the way Black Fish could do a great deal of good and live up to his vows. 

Archived