The Blackfish

crown of gold

Remember when we first meet the Blackfish he is a mall cop in the Vale.

He leaves there with Cat, but he doesn't have a Vale posse to ride with.

He was about to leave for River run solo.

I think the fact that he didn't even have a small crew to ride with him shows he doesn't have much of a following there.

One of the Royce boys left to roll with Renly, so we know some Vale guys did leave to get their hands dirty. Yet none went with the Blackfish.

Thats why I suspect he is NOT in the Vale but more likely either A. on his way North to tell Jon about the succession or B. still in the Riverlands with the BWB planning an assault on Riverrun/the Twins and or planning to free Edmure.

• 2 weeks later...

I think most likely the Blackfish will be fight a guerrilla action against the Freys in the Riverrun area not just to free Edmure but too bring down the Freys.

Had you considered he might be fighting a guerrilla action against the Freys already.....as the Hooded Man at Winterfell?

Had you considered he might be fighting a guerrilla action against the Freys already.....as the Hooded Man at Winterfell?

No I would assume that Blackfish would operate close to home since that is part of the country he knows best and not up north at Winterfell. But then it would make sence for Blackfish to fight a guerrilla action in Winterfell since no one would expect him too do so especially so far from Riverrun.

If i remember correctly Martin said there will be no new POV characters.This means that any appearance of Blackfish should happen through another character's chapter.I think the most likely are Brienne-Jaime.He's probably around the Riverrun area and somehow if he's to appear his tale will have something to do with the BWB-Brienne-Jaime-UnCat story.This is also based on the fact that he doesn't seem to be a man of plots and conspiracies so a guerrila war around his homeland seems the most likely choice.

If i remember correctly Martin said there will be no new POV characters.This means that any appearance of Blackfish should happen through another character's chapter.I think the most likely are Brienne-Jaime.He's probably around the Riverrun area and somehow if he's to appear his tale will have something to do with the BWB-Brienne-Jaime-UnCat story.This is also based on the fact that he doesn't seem to be a man of plots and conspiracies so a guerrila war around his homeland seems the most likely choice.

I pretty much agree.

I have to say, the one thing I'm fairly sure won't happen will be that he sets Edmure free. He and Edmure plotted his whole escape together, so Edmure could remain in captivity for awhile knowing that BF is out there and will eventually get to him. There's also no POV there, through which to see him.

I also am fairly sure he won't go to the Wall. During his (epic) speech to Jamie, he says he distrusts Jon Snow based on the fact that Cat mistrusted him. He's no Snow fan. Hard to get there right now with all the snow, anyways.

Ditto for the Vale. It'd be great to see him pitted against LF, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this; imagine how tense that would be with Sansa in the room!! But highly unlikely to have him go back there again. Been there, done that.

That pretty much leaves the BWB. I would love to see him grudgingly come to accept that Jamie is a man of honour, and have to see his beloved niece in her current state. We have a POV, 2 actually, so this could happen.

Of course, there's always Greywater. The elusive Greywater. But again, if he goes there (could be chillin' with Howie right now, in fact) we'll never know, because there is no POV.

I also am fairly sure he won't go to the Wall. During his (epic) speech to Jamie, he says he distrusts Jon Snow based on the fact that Cat mistrusted him. He's no Snow fan. Hard to get there right now with all the snow, anyways.

I don't expect him to go to the Wall either, but if he was, I doubt he'd give any hint to Jaime about wanting/needing to go there.

Remember when we first meet the Blackfish he is a mall cop in the Vale.

He leaves there with Cat, but he doesn't have a Vale posse to ride with.

He was about to leave for River run solo.

I think the fact that he didn't even have a small crew to ride with him shows he doesn't have much of a following there.

One of the Royce boys left to roll with Renly, so we know some Vale guys did leave to get their hands dirty. Yet none went with the Blackfish.

Thats why I suspect he is NOT in the Vale but more likely either A. on his way North to tell Jon about the succession or B. still in the Riverlands with the BWB planning an assault on Riverrun/the Twins and or planning to free Edmure.

Lysa had to consent to release the Blackfish to her sister though. That is quite different from the rest of the Vale lords. He was sworn to her service, of her blood, and his brother was besieged at their home. I'm not surprised he was one of the few that left, nor that he didn't have retainers of his own (does he really strike you as a man who wants his own retainers?) She likely held the rest back more or less, with some exceptions going off as well (such as Robar).

I wonder if the Blackfish might seek out Stannis. They seem like they might get on with one another quite well.

Does Edmure know about Robb's will? BF wasn't there when he proclaimed Jon as his heir, but what about Edmure? If BF knows that Jon is the rightful king in the north now, he may do a Barristan and go seek Jon. Tullys have no reason to like a bastard of Ned Stark, but everything else gone, won't he try and go find Jon? Won't he be smarter than oh-I-mistrust-Jon-but-Petyr-will-never-betray-me Catelyn? Ned Stark wasn't the Blackfish's husband, after all. I remember the Master-at-Arms going to take the Black, from Jaime's POV. What if BF joins them midway?

Does Edmure know about Robb's will? BF wasn't there when he proclaimed Jon as his heir, but what about Edmure? If BF knows that Jon is the rightful king in the north now, he may do a Barristan and go seek Jon. Tullys have no reason to like a bastard of Ned Stark, but everything else gone, won't he try and go find Jon? Won't he be smarter than oh-I-mistrust-Jon-but-Petyr-will-never-betray-me Catelyn? Ned Stark wasn't the Blackfish's husband, after all. I remember the Master-at-Arms going to take the Black, from Jaime's POV. What if BF joins them midway?

Eh, Why did he escape then? Part of the deal with Jaime was about BF to take the black when RR surrenders.

I had thought he WAS there when Jon was named Robb's heir, but it seems I was wrong. It makes things a bit different. However Edmure went in to Riverrun to lift the siege, so he and Blackfish had a few hours to discuss things. Blackfish likely knows now if he did not before.

I personally believe Blackfish is a strong candidate for the Hooded Man at Winterfell. His pattern of speech seems to fit. He knew Theon well, but not well enough to know Theon was not kin to the Starks. The Hooded Man calls Theon kinslayer, so it has to be either someone not too closely connected to the Starks, or someone who knows Theon slept with the miller's wife. We'll go with the first version here, and that version makes Blackfish a good candidate.

If Blackfish is the Hooded Man, he likely brought word to Winterfell that Jon was named heir, which he learned from Edmure. This might make the Pink Letter a strategy by the Northern Lords to "test" Jon's reaction to the forced marriage of Arya, in order to decide if they trust him before letting him in on the secret.

He knew Theon well, but not well enough to know Theon was not kin to the Starks. The Hooded Man calls Theon kinslayer, so it has to be either someone not too closely connected to the Starks, or someone who knows Theon slept with the miller's wife.

He's a Lord of Westeros.Of course he knows who Theon Greyjoy is,even if they never met before.Not that this excludes him as a candidate of being the HM but thinking of Theon as a Stark is not very possible imo.

He's a Lord of Westeros.Of course he knows who Theon Greyjoy is,even if they never met before.Not that this excludes him as a candidate of being the HM but thinking of Theon as a Stark is not very possible imo.

Some of these Lords seem more rigorous in their study of historic marriages than others. It is really quite a complicated and boring subject that I myself would be an extremely poor student of.

So I can certainly imagine that Blackfish knows who the Stark's parents and grandparents are, but not that the Greyjoys have no relationship.

I pretty much agree.

I have to say, the one thing I'm fairly sure won't happen will be that he sets Edmure free. He and Edmure plotted his whole escape together, so Edmure could remain in captivity for awhile knowing that BF is out there and will eventually get to him. There's also no POV there, through which to see him.

Ditto for the Vale. It'd be great to see him pitted against LF, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this; imagine how tense that would be with Sansa in the room!! But highly unlikely to have him go back there again. Been there, done that.

That pretty much leaves the BWB. I would love to see him grudgingly come to accept that Jamie is a man of honour, and have to see his beloved niece in her current state. We have a POV, 2 actually, so this could happen.

Of course, there's always Greywater. The elusive Greywater. But again, if he goes there (could be chillin' with Howie right now, in fact) we'll never know, because there is no POV.

Really? Have you thought that he lied? Dustin said something about Jon as well, hes' base born, bound to the wall about why he's at the wedding to give arya way. What are the house words of house Tully? Family Duty Honor. Robb his dead family made Jon his heir, his duty is to make sure that Jon is informed of his new position because it's his duty to honor Robb's last wishes. Even if he disapproved he would still honor that wish. That's the way the tully's are raised and bred. It makes sense if you don't want Jamie to think that you were going to continue the fight, for Jamie not to know or even think about Jon, let alone think that he would serve Jon as the LC of the Watch. But he did send to men that he grew up with to the wall to let Jon know about his new position.

If the blackfish is headed anywhere it's to the West and not to free his nephew but to how did Jon say it, rain down death and destruction on house Lannister.

• 3 weeks later...

Only possible place He'd be going is definately back to Vale.

Goin north to Greywater Watch he'd have to go thrue Frey territory, so I'd say that's out of questions at the moment.

He can't get to the Vale through the mountains. On top of the mountain clans increased raiding, which would probably get him killed as he is alone on the run, the passes are already closed by snow. He'd have to get a ship to get to Gulltown, and none of the ports in that area are likely to be amenable to him. Maidenpool and Duskendale are controlled by loyalists. Saltpans is completely destroyed.

Archived