ICE CROW

So I keep having this problem with notifications, but a funny thing happened.

I got my first notification in forever from someone quoting a post of mine, but it was on a necro'd thread from a few years ago. So it's almost like it will give me a notification on much older posts but not more current ones. If anyone can figure this out, I would really appreciate it. I think being notified of when someone has responded to your post is the most useful function on the board, and it sucks being without it.

Test. Did you get a notification for this?

The video game ad was added just a day or two ago. If you have something like Flashblock, that'll do it. But as I said, the reason ad blockers aren't blocking it is that it's not from an adserver or from a URL that matches the rules adblockers have. :)

Ever since that damn video game ad went up I have problems with being on Westeros. My pages freeze, as if the internet was cutting in and out. Everything just stops for a moment, then starts for a split second, then stops, starts, stops, just driving me crazy. But then I go out and use other sites and I have no problem. Except with Outlook, which I have to use.

Any suggestions?

No.

It's really weird. I had been getting them all of the time, but then all of the sudden they stopped. I didn't change any settings. I'm still getting notifications if someone "likes" my posts, but the only one I've received on a quote has been the one that someone necroed from a few years ago.

Nothing?

I haven't been getting notifications when I've been quoted in a while now, although I didn't change any settings. The other notifications for likes and replies to followed topics works just fine. :dunno:

Any idea what that is about?

There's no rejected notifications from the forums in the mailserver's queue, save one where someone trying to register entered 'hotnail.com' rather than 'hotmail.com' for their address. So if you're not getting notifications, they're either ending up in the spam folder or the forum's not even bothering to try to send them. If you're getting some and not others, my money's on the latter, so I'll let Ran know to look into things. (But checking spam folders can't hurt.)

It sounds like you're having the same problem I'm having. It's good to at least know that I'm no the only one.

Now it gets even funnier xD

This morning I got one random notification that I had been quoted in the General ASOIAF forum xD

oookay...

We'll just have to wait and see if an update can fix it :)

I was just clicking around the bottom menu on the main page - Moderating team/top posters/todays top posters/most liked. Mod Team, Top Posters and Most Liked worked, but the Todays Top didn't - I received the following error:

Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 50331648 bytes exhausted (tried to allocate 7680 bytes) in /home/sites/westeros.org/forum_web/ironthrone/sources/classes/output/publicOutput.php(1517) : runtime-created function on line 1

Is that me, the board, a hold over from the restricted access we had during the series (limited access to profiles, etc)?

Each individual call to a .php file is allowed to use 48MB of actual RAM. (This is actually more commonly 32MB, but I raised that limit on our box.) Generally, as PHP files are single-shot fire-and-forget things that do something and then return a page, this is more than enough. Especially since all the sorting through massive sets of data is done by the MySQL server, rather than PHP itself.

Apparently, "Today's Top" wants rather more RAM than any of the other various queries do. Yikes.

Two things. I realised I'm also not receiving notifications of quotes. The other had never happened before until now. When on the tablet I get a black thick-ish (1mm?) horizontal line across the screen. This happens only here, and not on any other pages. No idea what it could mean...

When on the tablet I get a black thick-ish (1mm?) horizontal line across the screen. This happens only here, and not on any other pages. No idea what it could mean...

You may need to say what tablet; I don't see this on either an iPad or Kindle Fire.

I have to say that I have problems viewing the ASOIAF boards on various PCs and have been forced to switch to an iPad almost exclusively.

There are just too many advertisements and cinematics loading when I try to browse on PC, which ultimately leads to slowdowns and browser crashes. Does anybody else have these issues?

P.S.

Ever since that damn video game ad went up I have problems with being on Westeros.

Ah, a fellow sufferer, I see. So, it is not just me...

I have to say, Ran, even your sysadmin hates that ad. :crying:

I've resorted to mostly reading via Tapatalk because that ad chews CPU, drags down site responsiveness and scrolling, and generally makes me want to turn on ad-blocking. I'm wearing my 'I read this board too' hat here, rather than my sysadmin one, but count me in as one more who'd really like to see that Flash ad go away.

(I can read the boards fine on my Mac Pro, mind you, but I should not require a 6-core monster of a machine to read a webpage. On either the Windows or Mac laptops, the board is paaaaaaaaainfully slow due to that ad loading.)

Archived