Football #25

Renasko

It was pretty inevitable that he would get sacked, but it's a ridiculous decision in the first place.

Abramovich appointed him with the remit of rebuilding the team, obviously this is going to cause trouble in the dressing room. There are too many arrogant and self important people in the Chelsea dressing room and they didn't like the fact that they weren't being played.

There's no point in telling someone to go in and make a total reshuffle and at the first sign of trouble ship him out. Oh well at least he'll have his £15 million payout.

Speaking of mad owners and sacking managers, has anyone seen the documentary QPR: The Four Year Plan? A film-maker was given seemingly completely candid access to the club during Fabio Briatore and Bernie Ecclestone's time in charge. It's insane.

That link is the BBC iplayer so it may not show outside of the UK, but I suspect you'll be able to find it elsewhere if you're interested. Well worth a watch.

I thought stupid lawsuits only happened in the U.S.

If you've come to a stage in your life where you realize you may never fulfill your childhood dream of playing for a top Premier League club, don't blame your own lack of talent or alternate major life decisions — just sue someone!

Retired semi-professional footballer Arquimedes Nganga has done exactly that, suing the Baptist church for £10m ($16m) for squandering his chances of glory. The 46-year-old played for a third division side in Portugal, but quit at the age of 25 and spent 19 years as a "fervent evangelist". Even though he never earned more than £200 ($318) a month playing in his youth, he claims he could have been earning £200,000 ($318,000) a week playing for Manchester Utd.

I missed the first half but they weren't particularly good in the second half either. Good fight back after being so dire in the first leg but you can't be poor for 75% of the tie and have too many complaints if you don't go through.

I missed the first half but they weren't particularly good in the second half either. Good fight back after being so dire in the first leg but you can't be poor for 75% of the tie and have too many complaints if you don't go through.

They weren't bad, certainly better than Milan. Some last ditch defending needed but to be expected when they need to score and are effectively carrying a player because first it's an injured Oxlade-Chamberlain and then Chamakh. They made plenty of chances of their own and should have won.

I did think Song was pretty poor though. Kept trying ridiculous hollywood passes when a simple one could have made a chance, including the last move of the game.

Blew out in the first half. All their effort meant they were exhausted in the second and had a poor bench. Not sure why PolishGenius pointed out the absence of Arshavin and Bendtner, who would have offered nothing. They needed a fresh central midfielder to come in and control posession.

They would certainly have offered more than Chamakh and Park.

I agree, they missed that midfield option too and the lack of Coquelain or Arteta is probably why Wenger kept Ox on for so long, but as far as attacking options go, both of them were better than what they had on the bench tonight.

They were awful second half, they were too tired from the first half. Walcott is such an awful player, he has no ball control and I have never seen him put in a good cross. Arshavin and Bendtner would have offered nothing as they are both awful. Van Persie misses another sitter, seriously this guy shoudl score way more than he does, he scores the hard ones and misses the easy ones!

RvP had a tip in for 4-0 that he missed, and after that it was downhill. If that goal had been made then Arsenal might have had a chance to go through, but after that they were just worn out from that phenomenal first half.

It's a great performance though, AC Milan is known as a mean side. It's mostly down to that awful first leg game though.

I find it fairly typical of Arsenal, there's often these really highs and these really lows. Certainly I would have preferred them to go through over Milan. But it was just too much to ask after such a poor first game.

Unbelievable. 5 goals in a champions league match, and not the worst goals either. Has that been done before? I know there's some players who scored 4 goals in a CL game, and that is rare, but 5?

Leverkusen really two sizes two small for a team like Barcelona. Can't put the German second tier against the best club in the world. But it's not often that it actually turns into a goalfest like this.

Should have watched the Leverkusen game after all, but I figured it would be a fairly uneventful affair since Barca were virtually guaranteed to go through anyway. This really highlights how atrocious Bayern were at the weekend, I guess.

ETA: I take it that this is the first time that Nicosia (or any Cypriot club) has reached the CL quarterfinals?

Archived