Football #25

Renasko

I dont want to blame Daglish for our problems its more the players faults. Big name signings like Downing and Henderson have failed to impress enough. Suarez has been a bitter disapointment this season and last seasons top scorer dirk kuyt has been fairly woeful aswell. Its not good enough for players of their quality.

i agree with this.

the signings were all great, on paper at least. henderson and downing both had pretty good previous season, adam as well, but they've failed in repeating them, and failed miserably.

suarez is a great footballer, but he WAS suspended for 9 games (8 for evra and 1 for rude gesture to the fans) and when you add all the fuss about incident with evra, i think he performed as well as could be expected under those circumstances. reasons he was IN those circumstances are a whole other topic and it was discussed at length in previous threads.

andy carroll was a forced purchase, when traitorres handed in a transfer request on the last day of transfer window. he was injured, but played rather well up until that point. powers that be could have opted for some other, less-well-known and non-english striker but i guess part of the reasons they picked him was to make a statement. too bad that statement turned out to be "we are willing to overpay for a player we have no idea what to do with" insted of the intended "we will buy quality, no matter the cost"

all those signings made sense, and i was thrilled about them.

too bad they didn't turn out the way i expected.

the ones who performed best were the ones i was most sceptical about - jose enrique and bellamy.

and those players that were important in past seasons are nowhere to be seen.

gerrard flashes now and again, but spends more time in the physio room than on the pitch, kuyt's goalscoring ability seems to have gone down the drain, maxi who has scored some important goals last season has taken the spot previously reserved for jovanovic (third seat from the left on the bench)...

all in all, there are some good players in the squad, it's just that they can't seem to find a way to play well together.

from time to time, they even manage to do it, but those ocasions are too few and far between.

If several players who had previously had good seasons suddenly lose all apparent commitment and focus on arrival at Liverpool, do you not think that the manager's got to take at least some of the blame? I mean one player not fitting in, okay, but all of them?

On a better note being a huge Glasgow Celtic fan i am delighted with how the season is going although the cup loss was a little disapointing. At least we will get to win the league at Ibrox YNWA

It's Celtic, not Glasgow Celtic! Pet peeve of mine. Imagine if the media constantly referred to Liverpool Everton or London Fulham. Dont encourage them. :P

Re Liverpool - I agree that the failure to consistently impress has to be Dalgleish's fault, same as in any other profession. But at the same time it's a lot easier to swallow when you have somebody in the squad to cheer for. They have that at Chelsea, even when they're doing miserably, but Liverpool's list of stars (Kuyt, Henderson, Downing, Adam) is just depressing. And the only guy with any flair is a racist scumbag. It must be a hard team to follow just now.

It must be a hard team to follow just now.

This might be a bit hypocritical coming from my sheltered tower of Southern plasticness, but this is my own pet peeve... Darlington are a hard team to follow. Or Port Vale. Teams hanging on to existence by their fingernails. Liverpool are just a tad depressing.

It's like the whole 'crisis club Arsenal' mentality that comes about whenever they look like maybe not finishing in the top four. This is a team that hasn't been relegated for 99 years.

If several players who had previously had good seasons suddenly lose all apparent commitment and focus on arrival at Liverpool, do you not think that the manager's got to take at least some of the blame? I mean one player not fitting in, okay, but all of them?

of course manager shares the blame.

so does the one responsible for buying that particular group of players, and so do the players.

everyone involved with team selection, training regimens, match tactics and execution of those tactics share the blame.

i mean, it's not as if kenny asked downing to play central defender or asked adam to keep up with suarez on counter-attacks, so now he takes all the blame for them not performing.

It's Celtic, not Glasgow Celtic!

While we're nitpicking, Celtic can only 'get to win the league at Ibrox' if they, y'know, win the game and Motherwell fail to win at Kilmarnock.

This might be a bit hypocritical coming from my sheltered tower of Southern plasticness, but this is my own pet peeve... Darlington are a hard team to follow. Or Port Vale. Teams hanging on to existence by their fingernails. Liverpool are just a tad depressing.

I dunno, I think administration makes a team easier to follow if anything. Financial instability and playing lower league football is where you see the true spirit of the game. :P Like I said, as long as there's something to cheer for you're fine. Even Liverpool's cup victory was just a bit meh.

While we're nitpicking, Celtic can only 'get to win the league at Ibrox' if they, y'know, win the game and Motherwell fail to win at Kilmarnock.

Maybe i'm wrong in guessing your a Rangers fan because only a rangers fan would be crazy enough to think that Celtic won't win. We are an unstoppable machine and Rangers won't be able to cope with the likes of Hooper and Stokes

Maybe i'm wrong in guessing your a Rangers fan because only a rangers fan would be crazy enough to think that Celtic won't win. We are an unstoppable machine and Rangers won't be able to cope with the likes of Hooper and Stokes.

You're completely wrong.

Celtic will certainly win the title, if not this weekend then shortly: but taking the result of Sunday's game as read and ignoring the effect of the 'Well-Killie match is perhaps just a teensy bit arrogant, that's all. But ignore my carping. It's not as if such confidence is ever misplaced, eh? ;)

Jose Maria Marin have made a great start after replacing Ricardo Teixeira as president of the Brazilian football federation.

Heh. If the guy steals a medal from a kid, I shudder to think what he's going to do with the World Cup. Although things cannot get much worse in that department...

Not to flog a dead horse, but...

I think Dalglish (and probably Comolli, it's hard to know) have to bear a lot of responsibility. It's easy to pick on Adam, Downing, Henderson and Carroll for not performing, but realistically they are performing at about the average level of ability the have demonstrated. The problem is that we spent a lot of money on British players of scant pedigree. We can hope that Henderson and Carroll will develop as they get older (does not look likely for Carroll) and that Downing will improve when he is more settled, as he did at Villa.

We play gutless, defensive football because our midfield without Lucas is too easily over-run so they need to sit back and because our attacking play lacks fluidity and concedes possession when we move quickly or is stymied when we move slowly. Our defense is playing reasonably well, albeit still prone to occasional lapses and not very reliable beyond the first team players (Kelly excepted). Our attack is woeful because we have no striker leading the attack. Suarez is a great #7 but he's not a #10 or a #9. At the very least we need a #9. Andy Carroll is such a passenger that he has become an anchor dragging back our ability to attack. When you add in Adam's lack of mobility, Henderson's ineffectual contribution, only one wide player, a patchy Gerrard, no play-maker.....it's amazing we score at all.

Some games it clicks for a while when we all-out attack and press high, and then we create some chances and perhaps even finish one or two of them. But mostly it has not been clicking and the trend is in the wrong direction.

You're completely wrong.

Celtic will certainly win the title, if not this weekend then shortly: but taking the result of Sunday's game as read and ignoring the effect of the 'Well-Killie match is perhaps just a teensy bit arrogant, that's all. But ignore my carping. It's not as if such confidence is ever misplaced, eh? ;)

Okay i may be quite arrogant and i may have ignored the Killie match but i just can't see Celtic not winning at Rangers.

Archived