Asha/"Yara"

Anarchosaurus Rex

Shae of the show was a somewhat-necessary expansion to an extremely weak and submissive whore (for lack of better word). She's made out to be an intellectual match with Tyrion in the adaption, which makes it all the more plausible that he falls in love with her and makes her later actions all the more devastating. Can you really imagine the sharp-witted Tyrion of the show falling in love with some tart who constantly calls him her "giant of Lannister"?

I disagree. This Shae is too exotic. Too worldly. She's verging on "man-eater." I won't even go into her being too old (not saying the actress is old, mind you. And she's gorgeous. Just too old for the character)

It changes the entire dynamic. Tyrion got suckered into Shae's charms because she "seemed" almost innocent. Young, pretty - but not overly sexy, giggly, enthusiastic. She was his surrogate Tysha.

Which made later events even more - maybe not shocking - but sad, possibly tragic. The worst part was he knew, and even told himself not to buy into it, but he just couldn't help himself. He's never gotten over Tysha.

I'm sure our Tyrion would LOVE this Shae. But the later events will have more of a "well, duh!" quality to them. And it will steal any tragic impact from Tyrion's perspective.

Ok, episode 2 has aired.

I stand by my statement. She's all wrong. (Ok, one caviat: she may yet grow on me. The look I can get used to even though it could be hard. But if she can get more feisty and brazen, I'll let it go).

She's almost demure. She "looks" soft and gentle. She seems quiet and reserved mostly. Even her jabs are light. This is not my Asha. Get some swagger, woman!

I much prefer Yara to Asha. Asha became an annoying and stereotypical spunky tomboy in AFFC. This Yara is more rough and ready, and more Ironborn.

I completely disagree that she looks in any way gentle. Sure you were watching the right show?

I liked her. She works very well in the Iron Islands of the show, IMO. I like the actor's delivery. If it had been more brash and showy or swaggary, it wouldn't have fit with the tone I feel they were going for in that moment; that the Iron Islands are a bleak hard place and there it's not a place for showiness, pomp, ego, theatrics, etc. I feel like the decision to make her subtler and and less dramatic worked for that moment. Now that the contrast was made between what Iron Islander are "suposed" to be and what Theon is, I imagine there will be some drinking scenes and Yara will slowly morph into something closer to the Asha we know. Asha from the books is near and dear to me and I think Yara has the potential to be one of my favorite characters in the adaptation....but I'm also a fan of show Renly, so yeah.....

edit-

I completely disagree that she looks in any way gentle. Sure you were watching the right show?

I want to echo this sentiment.

I much prefer Yara to Asha. Asha became an annoying and stereotypical spunky tomboy in AFFC. This Yara is more rough and ready, and more Ironborn.

Edit: The way I described her personality comes off as rather cruel. I'll just say she doesn't carry much gravitas to me. Ironborn? No way.

And does she have to be so frelling somber? Granted, she's a tad lighter than Ned Stark, but not by much.

I'll grant you it was only 2 scenes. I'm withholding final judgement until at least the halfway point of the season. But as far as first impressions go, bleh.

Or maybe it was the writing / direction. I can't stand show Shae either (or Renly last season for that matter). It might not be the actors at all, or at least not all of it is on them.

Funny you complain about stereotypes when Balon seemed like he was pulled off the set of the latest Pirates of the Caribbean movie. (But I LIKED Balon. Just using an example)

Yara came across a bit too young, smug and spoilt for my liking. From reading the books I'd got the impression of her being confident, competent and uncouth.

(I think the portrayal of Theon is absolutely spot on and look forward to following his story).

Yara / Asha was casted beyond my worst nightmares. Instead of being ironborn warrior she is plump girl with baby face.

When Belon says that she commanded the ship it seems soo not possible. That fat girl could not drive a car let alone kill people in combat.

She should be lean and tall with prominent face features (not necessarily beautiful as some say).

Name change was bad, pictures of actress were discouraging, but seeing her actually on TV was sheer terror.

I hope they kill of Asha character very very soon. Hopefully between 2 episodes so I don't have to see her again on the screen.

... Fat? o_0 Was there something wrong with my TV screen? She didn't look anything even approaching fat to me...

I thought Yara was... OK. Looks-wise, she's fine- a certain charm to her looks, but not pretty or beautiful as such. It's just that her personality seems a bit lacking. She seemed a little bored, whereas I always pictured Asha in the books to be a bit more loud and brash, and make a bit more of an impact- given that she's both female AND quite young, I imagine she'd have to have a pretty big presence to command the respect of her crew. I don't know whether this is a change in the character, or a flaw in the actress, but I'm hoping the more... subdued performance is the result of being involved in two scenes with only 1/2 other people involved. I'm hoping that in front of the other Ironborn, and her crew, Yara will be a little more Asha, and a little less bored. We'll see, I guess.

I like her. Not what I pictured, but I like her all the same. She was never supposed to be some drop dead gorgeous goddess or something. Just a question - is she chubby or just really muscular? I can't tell.

Asha/Yara was a mixed bag for me personally.

While Yara doesn't look like how I imagine Asha, that isn't the same as saying Gemma Whelan is ugly which she isn't. I do think that Yara will have the same toughness and confidence that I envisioned Asha having being a female captain of an Ironborn ship, that Gemma Whelan seems to show based on 2 scenes.

So I've decided to see how the Yara character develops over the course of the season before giving my final opinion.

P.S.- Gemma Whelan is not fat, she isn't even close to being fat.

She seems a bit cold.

In the books, her character was a mix of brash, bold, and confident, but blended with a bit of genuine warmth.

This character adaptation just comes across as grim, and I thought Asha was the only "alive" person on the Iron Islands, but then again, it was only one episode.

In terms of looks, the main female character from "Tron" put me in mind of what I though Asha would most resemble.

Archived