[Book Spoilers] Renly's Gorget

scurvy

How will Loras not kill Brienne if there was no reason to prove her claim of an other worldly killer? No sword could pierce his gorget, but what about just going through his flesh? Seems less provable innocence. Maybe their not banking on a 4th season...

How will Loras not kill Brienne if there was no reason to prove her claim of an other worldly killer? No sword could pierce his gorget, but what about just going through his flesh? Seems less provable innocence. Maybe their not banking on a 4th season...

They already solved it. In this version, Loras openly says he doesn't believe Brienne did it. Sorted.

From what I could tell from this episode, Loras doesn´t believe that Brienne had anything to do with the murder. This has been changed from the books

Quote from the TV-show:

"Loras: Ride back to Highgarden sister, I´m not running from Stannis!"

"Margaery: Brienne of Tarth murdered Renly"

"Loras: I don´t believe that, you don´t believe that!"

"Loras: Who gained the most from our kings death?"

"Littlefinger: Stannis!"

I'm not a book purist, but sometimes I don't really understand why they change minor details like this one. Why not leave it as it was in the book with the knife slitting his throat through his armor gorget? It made it seem so much more like true 'dark magic' in the book that way. The way they chose to do it, with his armor off, and a shadow-knife through the heart makes it look almost 100% Brienne's fault since its so much more obvious that way.

Oh well, overall I wasn't that disappointed with the scene. I know a lot of people don't care for the shadow-demon CGI but I think it's ok and close enough as described in the book.

Renly wasn't wearing his gorget and shoulderplates, but he was still wearing his armour. Isn't is supposed to be some kind of brigandine armour with a velvet coating (according to the making of short about the armour I mean)? So even with the gorget off, a normal sword couldn't cut to that sort of armour like butter, therefore doubts over Renly's death would still be valid on the show.

Another great future scene their ruining by changing the books. First Arya and the Tickler, now this. (well, I guess technically this comes first) Why else would Jaime be forced to order Loras to stand down and "Put away that sword before I shove it up someplace even Renly never found."

I'm not a book purist, but sometimes I don't really understand why they change minor details like this one. Why not leave it as it was in the book with the knife slitting his throat through his armor gorget? It made it seem so much more like true 'dark magic' in the book that way. The way they chose to do it, with his armor off, and a shadow-knife through the heart makes it look almost 100% Brienne's fault since its so much more obvious that way.

Oh well, overall I wasn't that disappointed with the scene. I know a lot of people don't care for the shadow-demon CGI but I think it's ok and close enough as described in the book.

My personal opinion, but I thought that Renly's death in CoK smacked of deus ex machina. I don't mind Melisandre having magical powers but the scenario in the novel seemed an expediency on George's part.

(I don't care for the slug burning in SoS either, but that's just me.)

Renly's death scenario in the CoK was more elaborated and also more confusing, we get the supernatural part explained later with the Ser Cortnay Penrose scenario. D&D were wise to meld those two stories into one, this narrative makes more sense, especially as a visual narrative.

Glad D&D eliminated all the huger mugger of acquisitions thrown at Cat and Brienne , on the spot, and their messy escape.

I would have liked to have seen it much closer to how it was written - that a slash was able to cut through steel like a knife through cheese. It was very eerie in the book with some mystery about how it happened, This was B-sci fi shadow monster.

I expected to hear the freight train/pots & pans/gears and pulleys sound of Smoky from Lost when the shadow assassin rolled into the tent. All in all, it felt clunky--like the actors didn't receive much direction on what the effects were going to actually look like or how they would behave... the blocking seemed strange as well, probably because they weren't sure of how the fx would end up when shooting the scene.

I saw the shadow blade as creeping up Renly like a regular shadow that would be thrown against anyone, then suddenly becoming corporeal as it slices back through his armor, flesh and muscle.

Additionally, I think it's a missed opportunity since the birth of the shadow baby was fantastic.

This is something that I looked forward to seeing on the screen since I read the book--very turned off by how the whole scene (and fallout with Loras) played out.

I am extremely disappointed as well. I mean, Brienne in a sense stole Loras scene. Loras didn't hold it together in the books. Brienne was his first target more than anything, not Stannis. He needed to have a breakdown, and he definitely wouldn't of left Renly's body. I mean, I shouldn't of got my hopes on how this would translate on screen, but.we should of least got that.

I thought Loras' response in the show was completely unbelieveable. He doesn't even suspect Brienne or Catelyn, when they were the two with Renly when he died and both have fled? I'm at a loss for why they made this change, since it wouldn't have taken any more dialogue for him to blame her. The actual shadow and death were acceptable, given TV budgets and what not. I also thought it was an odd change to have them removing Renly's armor rather than putting it on. The stab thru the armor was also a fact that helped absolve Brienne in Ser Loras mind later. It's another change that appears to be completely arbitrary and unnecessary at this point.

Another great future scene their ruining by changing the books. First Arya and the Tickler, now this. (well, I guess technically this comes first) Why else would Jaime be forced to order Loras to stand down and "Put away that sword before I shove it up someplace even Renly never found."

:agree:

The way they changed it no longer makes any fucking sense....

It was obvious in the books by how powerful the magic was that everyone would think it was Cat or Brienne who killed him and that is why they fled.

In the show it doesn't seem very serious and since Loras doesn't think she killed her and Stannis knows she didn't...then why did Cat and Brienne high tail it besides just to follow a plot line of the book that they chose to include.

It could be to cut a little bit of the Loras / Brienne foreplay in A Feast for Crows / Season 4 and give a more solid reason for the Tyrells not to rally with Stannis.

This.

I think they are trying to clearly establish why the Tyrells would now actively side with the Lannisters instead of just sitting things out without having to introduce Mace or the Queen of Thorns. If Margaery wants to be THE queen, and Loras wants revenge against Stannis, then there you go; reasons given. If only the former was true, show-only fans might wonder why Margaery doesn't try to get Stannis to set aside his wife and marry her instead of marrying Joffrey; that shit.

I would've liked a scene of Loras going mad with grief and killing some extras; but I'd be fine with him blaming Stannis after calming down.

Archived