Video Games and Beyond...

Howdyphillip

I think I'm going to bail on Dragon Age despite being pretty far in. If I have to save after every battle on normal it feels more like work than a game. And the story and world isn't hooking me enough to play through on easy. I had high hopes for this game given that Knights of the Old Republic was amazing to me back in the day (can't believe it's almost been a decade since that came out), but I'm just not feeling Dragon Age.

So I've encountered a really annoying gaming tech problem I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on.

A while back I hooked up my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable, got a wireless mouse and keyboard, and haven't looked back. Its been great using my TV as a monitor, the problem is, it won't do games, or at least old games. Civilization 4 works just fine. But when I try playing EU II, Crusader Kings, or Fallout 2, my TV just keeps switching between resolutions and the 'no signal' screen before crashing everything back to my desktop; all while the intro audio haltingly plays. And if I unplug the HDMI cable and just use my regular screen, the games load up fine, so my computer itself is okay.

I don't even know what the problem is here, much less how to fix it, any ideas?

I don't know if this is the problem, but maybe it's trying to output to a resolution the TV doesn't support?

I think I'm going to bail on Dragon Age despite being pretty far in. If I have to save after every battle on normal it feels more like work than a game. And the story and world isn't hooking me enough to play through on easy. I had high hopes for this game given that Knights of the Old Republic was amazing to me back in the day (can't believe it's almost been a decade since that came out), but I'm just not feeling Dragon Age.

I feel exactly the same way! The story, characters, and world just didn't grab me at all. I have 26 hours in this game according to Steam, and I have very little desire to see it through to the end. I'm up to 20 hours into FFXIII and having a far better time. My next Western RPG will be Witcher 2, which looks much more up my alley.

I have 26 hours in this game according to Steam, and I have very little desire to see it through to the end. I'm up to 20 hours into FFXIII and having a far better time.

Good to hear, as I was actually thinking of giving Final Fantasy XIII a try next. I know it got plenty of bad reviews, but it still looks decent from the trailers and gameplay vids I've watched. I've only played the older 2D games in the series, so I would be going in with a fairly open mind, and I don't mind linear games. Looks like a visually appealing game, at the least. That was another problem with Dragon Age--ugly, uninspired visuals. Even the forest areas and the dream realm felt like drab dungeons.

So I've encountered a really annoying gaming tech problem I'm hoping someone here can shed some light on.

A while back I hooked up my laptop to my TV with an HDMI cable, got a wireless mouse and keyboard, and haven't looked back. Its been great using my TV as a monitor, the problem is, it won't do games, or at least old games. Civilization 4 works just fine. But when I try playing EU II, Crusader Kings, or Fallout 2, my TV just keeps switching between resolutions and the 'no signal' screen before crashing everything back to my desktop; all while the intro audio haltingly plays. And if I unplug the HDMI cable and just use my regular screen, the games load up fine, so my computer itself is okay.

I don't even know what the problem is here, much less how to fix it, any ideas?

Try setting the input to 480i and then try...

I know the game doesn't come out until September..but is anybody else excited for Borderlands 2?!?

If so..I am always looking for cool co-op partners to play with..especially since this game has 4 player online co-op.. which is just excellent.

I feel exactly the same way! The story, characters, and world just didn't grab me at all. I have 26 hours in this game according to Steam, and I have very little desire to see it through to the end. I'm up to 20 hours into FFXIII and having a far better time. My next Western RPG will be Witcher 2, which looks much more up my alley.

I've just done Witcher 2 after getting it in the steam sale, and I can say the first hour or so of gameplay can be quite brutal if you haven't gotten dodging down to a tee.

Try setting the input to 480i and then try...

I'm fairly certain I know what this sentence means, but I have absolutely no idea how I'd go about doing that. And I've been spending some time fiddling around under both the Screen Resolution and Graphical Properties tabs on my computer.

How is Dragon Age 2? It's actually cheap now and I want a good RPG that is pretty fun. I have a Ps3.

Is it better, equal, or worse than Skyrim?

Meh. I liked DAO a lot, But DA2 was fair at best.

Meh. I liked DAO a lot, But DA2 was fair at best.

Are we talking pretty good RPG?

I mean, I've played Oblivion and I've hated it because I hated the beginning where I just didn't have much to work with and stuff and a lot of the travelling was annoying because the map was so huge

Are the animations awesome for mages and all that?

Nearly everyone agrees that DA2 is shit, even the people who liked DA1.

So what are you suggesting in terms of RPG games with some pretty nice magic animations?

Basically like a WoW kind of game, but single player and not p2p

So what are you suggesting in terms of RPG games with some pretty nice magic animations?

Basically like a WoW kind of game, but single player and not p2p

Have you played Nier? It's more of an action game with RPG elements, and it skews towards "casual" in terms of difficulty and world size, but I loved it. Very fresh take on a JRPG setting (the character you play is in his 40s), pretty fun gameplay, and a great, great score. I'd actually like to find something similar after bailing on Dragon Age. Kingdom of Amular looks like something I might give a go. Dragon's Dogma has me interested a bit too, but I'm wary of that one after hearing some of the difficulty complaints (which is why I won't touch the Demon/Dark Souls games).

Have you played Nier? It's more of an action game with RPG elements, and it skews towards "casual" in terms of difficulty and world size, but I loved it. Very fresh take on a JRPG setting (the character you play is in his 40s), pretty fun gameplay, and a great, great score. I'd actually like to find something similar after bailing on Dragon Age. Kingdom of Amular looks like something I might give a go. Dragon's Dogma has me interested a bit too, but I'm wary of that one after hearing some of the difficulty complaints (which is why I won't touch the Demon/Dark Souls games).

Nier got horrible reviews

Nearly everyone agrees that DA2 is shit, even the people who liked DA1.

I wouldn't say that.

Generally what I hear is DA2 does alot of stuff right and alot of stuff wrong.

It's like half-shit, half-great game all melded together.

Nier got horrible reviews

It also has something of a cult following--I picked it up after reading multiple reviews about how underrated it was. But then again I think Shenmue is the best game ever (or at least the best from the post 16-bit era), so admittedly my tastes are kind of off from the mainstream.

Kingdom of Amular looks like something I might give a go. Dragon's Dogma has me interested a bit too, but I'm wary of that one after hearing some of the difficulty complaints (which is why I won't touch the Demon/Dark Souls games).

I enjoyed Kingdoms of Amular, but the difficulty was very low. It was a fun game with cool combat, but nothing even challenged me once I hit level 15 or so. It was an enjoyable game if you don't mind it being easy.

What difficulty complaints have you heard about Dragon's Dogma? The very beginning can be a bit rough, but after level 12 or so it gets pretty easy, especially if you do a lot of the side quests. This is actually one of my favorite games that I enjoyed very much.

Not really that far into the Witcher 2(having even left Flotsam yet) but I am loving the game. I like that it doesn't hold your hand like a lot of games do. Some of the quests you need to figure out for yourself a bit and combat can be difficult if you don't become good at avoiding damage.

My one complaint so far is that when you are trying to get a craftsman to craft a weapon or something for you he won't use what you have in storage. I hate having to run back to the inn to grab some peice of material that I left there because it was to heavy.

I know the game doesn't come out until September..but is anybody else excited for Borderlands 2?!?

If so..I am always looking for cool co-op partners to play with..especially since this game has 4 player online co-op.. which is just excellent.

I can't wait. I loved the first very much, just bought it for xbox and have been playing the crap out of it. I love the co op aspect so much that when my little brother told me he couldn't afford to buy that cause he had to pay of Black Ops 2 first(could only afford one game) I told him it was ok that I was going to buy it for him.

It looks excellent. Hopefully it keeps the same humorous flavor as the first.

Archived