Bourbon

Reposado

ini,

I find the eagle to have distinct nose of toasted almond, sherry, vanilla and baking spices.

it has a thicker and oily (in a good way) mouthfeel than many other bourbons. the flavor is spicy and sweet. I get dried apricots and charred wood. it finishes only slightly hot encouraging another sip.

there is a reason this is the official bourbon of the mercenary home.

A wise vintner once told me that the only thing that really matters, whether a 3 dollar bottle of wine or a 100 dollar bottle of wine, is that after it passes your lips, your first thought is "Yum!"

I see that I have posted in here before so I'm probably repeating myself, but I'd recommend Evan Williams as the best bang for the buck. Good combo as far as very affordable* while also not being crap.

*Unless you're shopping at FB's link. WTF is up with that place?

Sadly, I assume this means you pay less than $49.95 for a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel, right? :P

Sin, my dear ser, sin, and sin taxes.

You have heard of the word?

And speaking of sin, last night I made a Manhatten with Knob Creek bourbon, and it was great. Tonight I picked up a small bottle of a Canadian whiskey my friends have raved about, called Forty Creek, and the Manhatten I made is just heavenly. Their web side brags about how smooth it is, and man oh man it is gorgeous.

Sadly, two years ago, when the HST was introduced, taxes on alcohol actually went down. But prices of alcohol still increased.

You can blame the LCBO. According to them, they have a "social responsibility" mandate, and don't want to encourage excessive alcohol consumption. So when the taxes dropped, they increased their markup to compensate (and then some). But honestly, that's bullshit. They increased their markup because they are a huge cash cow for the province.

And the fine folks at Makers Mark have changed their mind.

LOUISVILLE, Ky. — After hearing from "thousands" of bourbon drinkers in less than a week, Maker's Mark is reversing course. It will no longer try to extend supplies of its

The company waved the white flag at noon EST on Sunday, announcing through email and social media that it was a mistake to reduce the bourbon's alcohol content from 45 percent to 42 percent.

"We've been more than humbled by the overwhelming response," said
Chief Operating Officer Rob Samuels in an interview.

• 2 weeks later...

There are many things about my home state of Kentucky that suck.

However, occasionally, I am reminded of how it can be awesome too. Like this morning, when I was reading an article in Kentucky Living magazine about the state's forests.

There was a line about how Kentucky is like 5th in the nation for harvesting hardwoods and creating products from said hardwoods. By far the biggest hardwood product created in Kentucky? Yup - white oak barrels that are used almost exclusively for making bourbon.

Well done, Kentucky. Well done.

Sadly, I assume this means you pay less than $49.95 for a bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel, right? :P

Missed this earlier.

Slightly less. $17 dollars a handle. It's almost like* Californians had never heard of this stuff. Stupid bastards.

* (exactly like)

Missed this earlier.

Slightly less. $17 dollars a handle. It's almost like* Californians had never heard of this stuff. Stupid bastards.

* (exactly like)

Evan Williams and Evan Williams single barrel are different animals. A bottle of EW single barrel is about $28-$30 - at least here in Kentucky. The regular Evan Williams is cheap though.

• 3 months later...

At a firm party last month I tried "Woodford Reserve" it actually reminded me of congac. I had another taste recently and it was much harsher. What's up with that?

Woodford makes a few special offerings, such as double oaked and they have a series of called their Masters Collection which are better than their normal offering. Maybe you had something from one of those at the party and your more recent pour was just their standard bourbon?

If it reminded you of cognac though, are you sure it wasn't Angel's Envy? That's a fairly new bourbon that is finished in port wine casks. I've only sampled it a couple times. It's good, but it doesn't really taste like bourbon to me.

Scot - something I've found is that bourbons tend to taste a lot harsher when the bottle has just recently been opened. A couple of days later, once the liquor has been exposedb to air, it tends to taste a lot mellower. I know this is a documented phenomenon in wine, not sure if I'm projecting it on liquor. But I've noticed it several times; I'll crack a bottle, come back to it a few dates later and it tastes much better. So one may have been a recently opened bottle?

Archived