August Reads

mashiara

Finished Savages by Don Winslow. Really, really good. Reminded me a bit of Charlie Huston in style and that is no bad thing. I am also halfway through Revelation Space by Alistair Reynolds. It's pretty slow going for me, it is good so far though. I just think that I wasn't really in the mood for sci-fi when I started it but I had no other options since it was the only book I brought with me on my vacation.

Almost finished with the Wool Omnibus (half way through book 5). Then it's back to The Code of the Woosters by Wodehouse, which i took a break from to finish Wool. I'll most likely be getting Howey's next book I, Zombie on the 15th, and then who knows...I have such a backlog of books to catch up on.

Finally relented and got a library card so I could get the hard copy of Rise of Endymion. It's okay so far--I find the story to be meandering and spending too much time with characters I don't care about, but it's fairly early to make a real judgment.

Almost done with Stina Leicht's first novel of The Fey and The Fallen. I can't decide if I should go on with the second book or read Leviathan Wakes.

Of Blood aand Honey wasn't a book that made me "omg this is really great!" at any point and I felt it was dragging while I was reading, but now that I'm finishing it, I find myself liking the story and kind ofwonder what will happen next..

Whatever I decide, I will try to squeeze Lord of Light this month, it's about time.

Just finished The Pleasures of Men by Kate Williams - it was alright. I really enjoy the Victorian era, especially since readingThe Crimson Petal and The White, and while this one was nowhere near as good, it was still enjoyable. A nice murder mystery, always fun.

Now reading The King's Concubine by Anne O'Brien. Seems really good, and it's about a time in history that I haven't read much about, so I'm enjoying it.

I am such a fan of the library. I didn't used to take advantage, but it's so nice. If you're in a larger market it's almost a certainty that they'll have just about anything in their system. Maybe not at your local branch, but you can usually get it soon, so it just takes a little planning ahead.

That's your library Stannis means to sack! You pay taxes, so take advantage!

I used to be a huge library fan (I actually used to work at one), but I gradually grew to find the selection lacking, the difficulty in getting new books frustrating, and the nastiness of reading books that lots of other people are touching/eating with/drooling onto/etc not worth the hassle. Nowadays I use libraries for e-books, which is fantastic although selection is limited. And I don't need to be in the state to access it. But I needed to get a local card for Coronado to get this one book...

I was challenged recently by a close female friend of mine to read some older adventure/YA/juvenile novels that she loved when she was growing up. So, here's what I've read recently:

Astrid Lindgren, Pippi Longstocking; The Brothers Lionheart

Karl May, Winnetou (series)

Scott O'Dell, The Island of the Blue Dolphins

(I recommended some to her as well, including Kenneth Grahame's The Wind in the Willows, which I re-read/reviewed after mentioning it)

To finish off what she had me promise her to read (and possibly review; the others above will be reviewed later this weekend), I have these titles remaining:

Rudyard Kipling, Kim; Captains Corageous

Emilio Salgari, Sandokan alla Riscossa; Il Corsario Nero

Henryk Sienkiewicz, In Desert and Wilderness

So far, so good.

So far:

Faulkner: Dry September - great

Rulfo: Anacleto Morones - great

Stanev: The Peach Thief - mediocre, too long

Venezis: Antigone - very good

Fitzgerald: The Bridal Party - good

Mansfield: The Daughters of the Late Colonel - some parts are beautiful

Chandler: Farewell, My Lovely - I love C. but this his weakest work

Currently reading:

The Seashell Anthology of Great Poetry (1-2-3 poems a day) - so far it's pretty good

Anthology of the Hungarian Essay vol. IV. (1 essay a day) - vol I-IV: the highest peaks of the Hungarian literature, so nobody reads it today :(

Taine: Histoire de la littérature anglaise - (Márai Sándor: he is too wordy) yes, it is true but he has an unbeatable style

Next:

a novel by Asimov or Clarke

Marcus Tullius Cicero: Összes perbeszéde (Complete speeches) - 1500 pages :)

Kundera: A regény művészete (The Art of the Novel)

Scott O'Dell, The Island of the Blue Dolphins

Is that a book about a girl somehow ending up alone on a deserted island for like a decade? I think I read that - always seemed like it was ridiculously grim for a childrens book.

finished ian whates city of dreams and nightmare. it eventually grew on me once the characters came to the fore in my mind as i'd already dug the setting. i will certainly continue reading this series. still reading the half made world by felix gilman and just started quicksilver by stephenson because of the chit chat going on.

Archived