From Pawn to Player: Rethinking Sansa IX

brashcandy

So I was think about the quote from earlier

The writing and imagery really is So lovely. Since I just reread the Snow Castle chapter three times the beauty and eloquence of that chapter's writing are fresh in my mind. Is this unique, or at least far more prevalent, to Sansa's chapters? I remember Jon and Bran having some nice imagery when they first go north of the Wall, but I can't specifically recall anything else. Maybe Arianne in Dorne while stealing Myrcella or Doran in the Water Gardens? Does Sansa hold a monopoly on Martin's poetic passages?

Well, maybe I am biased, but I do think her chapters are some of the most beautiful and poetic in the entire series. I also think the snow castle scene is just stunning, Martin at his absolute best. I think it's another reflection of the POV structure in action really and the poetry we are seeing is a part of her character. Sansa's thoughts are very rich and have some wonderful imagery, it's only natural that her POVs would reflect this.

One of my other favorite chapters in the book is Bran's first one in GOT, the way he introduces his family and the wolves. I like the way his POVs are presented as well. It doesn't quite have the richness of Sansa's to me, but there is a beauty in the simplicity of it at times, if that makes sense.

there were sooo many important things disscused today! the whole discussion about tyrion/sandor and sansa-tyrion-wedding night choice has already been discussed and the thread has moved past that so i'll just say one little thing regarding tyrion for what it's worth: sure he didn't write the letters to the freys and to roose about the RW, but he did married sansa with the knowledge and concent that if her family died then he would be able to claim winterfell and he sort of tried to delude himself for the present that sansa might one day bring him her lust and heart and stuff- but why would she when she would still be a pawn and maybe disposed off by tywin once she gave birth to tyrion's children? and how could he think (if he ever pondered about it that much) that sansa would come to care for him as they lived in winterfell after his family destroyed hers..? after the wedding he doesn't mention going winterfell with her; he talks about essos and the rock, but it was a little naive to hope she could warm up to him for the mere reason of him showing her relatively more kindness than other members of his family...

- about sansa being a bird or a wolf: she is both! i wanted to express my thoughts better along with addressing some of the other issues that were talked about today here but i've just started college and i have zero energy to muster at the moment some good rational thoughts...

but since everybody has been doing pretty well today i'll just sit back & read on :D

Hey Caro99, is this year first year or college? Congratulations!! Tyrion certainly a big topic today, wasn't he? I agree about his role in the marriage and was deluding himself. What always bothers me is that Tyrion is given sympathy for the marriage at Sansa's expense. I find it appalling really.

Well, maybe I am biased, but I do think her chapters are some of the most beautiful and poetic in the entire series. I also think the snow castle scene is just stunning, Martin at his absolute best. I think it's another reflection of the POV structure in action really and the poetry we are seeing is a part of her character. Sansa's thoughts are very rich and have some wonderful imagery, it's only natural that her POVs would reflect this.

And what about those passages with Sandor? Honestly, I think Martin exceeds himself there too.

And what about those passages with Sandor? Honestly, I think Martin exceeds himself there too.

Yes, I would agree there too, and I say this completely objectively of course. In my post on him, I describe Sandor's speech as a mix of the profane and the poetic. It's quite stunning and unique to him. Their scene together during the BBW is just as beautiful for me as her snow castle, although in a different way.

I think Arya does a reread, badly. You're one of the few people who attempt to subject her arc to any critical analysis, Arya_Nym. Mostly, she is viewed as the cool bad ass type who had to put up with an annoying sister in Sansa. I don't consider Arya as irretrievably damaged by any means, but there does need to be a serious discussion on Arya the character, instead of Arya the archetype, and how she fits into the larger framework of a discussion on women and gender roles within Westerosi society,

Well, thanks.

As I've said previously some may not think that she's damaged or psychotic but she is the one who gets this type of critique as opposed to male characters.

Earlier suggestions for a comparative reread struck me as ways to illustrate how Sansa's feminine ways is better. People only like Arya because she acts like a man but they need to see the broken girl underneath. It won't break a man/boy but it will do it to a little girl. She can't handle it.

This is from Sansa useless thread.

I feel like he may have started Arya off as the badass everyone liked with Sansa as contrast only to have them move in parallel yet opposite directions. I think Arya and Sansa's story lines do mirror each other to a large extent but I get the feeling Sansa will triumph over adversity and emerge as a heroine while Arya has the potential to become corrupted by all she's seen and become a villain. IDK just some thoughts....

I don't think people like Arya just for how different she is to Sansa. That would be downplaying her character and making her importance just to be how she relates to Sansa. Not that you're implying that. Things like what I quoted I don't get. GRRM came up with Arya before Sansa. If Arya comes to a bad end it has nothing to do with her. The probable foreshadowing of her death is in the beginning of the series. Lone wolf dies and sewing through winter. It has nothing to do with Sansa and how one triumphs where the other fails.

I'm not going to assume that Arya fans do a superficial reading because people like her for different reasons.

In the Saltpans thread some of them said that they like that she's turned into a psychopath. Many are well aware that she has issues and isn't the same girl that she was in AGoT.

I don't know.... I'm not dismissing the possibility completely, but to my mind that ship sailed with Willas Tyrell. We saw then that Sansa was willing to marry someone who was by all accounts a nice, warm, wonderful individual, whom she was determined to make love her for herself. That no longer seems to hold any value to her.

Well, keep in mind, her feelings on Willas were completely jumbled up with the idea of being safe (from Joffrey and his family). She dreamed of marrying Willas (after hoping for Loras and being a bit disappointed it was to be Willas), idealizing it because it represented a form of rescue from her situation.

Lots of people have said they think Sansa will be gradually gaining more agency, but for those that wonder why she is not forceful in her rejections of LF's advances, or goes along with his schemes instead of bolting from his company at the first opportunity, consider this:

Baelish rescued her (and slew the evil monster Joffrey).

In her mind, I don't think she's happy to be implicated in poisoning and regicide, nor truly happy being tucked away in the Vale either at the Sheepdip Shore or in Crazy Auntie's Castle, but she perhaps doesn't think about it that way. She is just looking for some form of safety, and plays the role LF devises for her because it keeps her safe - but in the back of her mind, she knows her rescuer is no Florian, and that she is not truly safe with him. Call it a combination of gratitude and fear.

Sansa has idealized her potential rescuers / suitors in the past, but not in Baelish's case. With him, she is cautious and cool. Why not see him with romantic eyes then ? He is not seen as a friend or little brother (as her was with Catelyn). The "daughter" thing is fake and neither feels that way seriously.

So the core internal struggle for her may be this:

Does she accept what Littlefinger does, does she become impressed by him and see him as worthy*, does she play the game willingly and - dare I say it - consider him desirable as a mate ? He has rescued her, slain her enemies and tormentors, and comes with the promise of nobility and power.

(* This is similar to Tyrion's entreating - to be seen by her as worthy of a chance, despite the horrible circumstances of their marriage.)

There is a reluctance there that is more than just her considering he's a generation older than she is. To end up being what he wants (a willing wife, ultimately) and wanting what he is constitutes a moral struggle. Sexual innocence is not the only sort of innocence at stake here. Lady Sansa Baelish would not be the kind of person Sansa Stark is. (Maybe not like Cersei, not like Lysa, perhaps but more like Arianne Martell.) Otherwise, why not see herself as the future Lady Baelish ? Her moral innocence makes her seem weak to others, but in an odd way, I think it's something which makes Littlefinger desire her all the more.

For now, Sansa would rather be the innocent maid in the snow.

One of my other favorite chapters in the book is Bran's first one in GOT, the way he introduces his family and the wolves. I like the way his POVs are presented as well. It doesn't quite have the richness of Sansa's to me, but there is a beauty in the simplicity of it at times, if that makes sense.

Hey Caro99, is this year first year or college? Congratulations!! Tyrion certainly a big topic today, wasn't he? I agree about his role in the marriage and was deluding himself. What always bothers me is that Tyrion is given sympathy for the marriage at Sansa's expense. I find it appalling really.

aww thanks so much kitty!! yes, this is my first year. i'm studying journalism and started about three weeks ago. i think i made the right decision cause so far the only hmwk we've had is to read & analyze texts, and that is precisely what we all do in this thread and which i love, so thanks to you all, (and to Sansa & George too) for teaching me how to find things in re-reads and understanding character's thoughts- it's so addicting we have to come back every single day :)

oh and kitty i agree with what you said about bran's 1st chapter especially. i remember the first time i read it and as you said, i also found some sort of simple beauty to the way he described and saw things that intrigued me, and a year later i can still find it enjoyable and can evoke the same feelings i did on my first reading of it.

Can someone post Ragnorak's link to the snow castle so I can read (reread) it, been real busy and just too many pages to flow through.

Here you go Grail King:

There is some great discussion in it.

aww thanks so much kitty!! yes, this is my first year. i'm studying journalism and started about three weeks ago. i think i made the right decision cause so far the only hmwk we've had is to read & analyze texts, and that is precisely what we all do in this thread and which i love, so thanks to you all, (and to Sansa & George too) for teaching me how to find things in re-reads and understanding character's thoughts- it's so addicting we have to come back every single day :)

oh and kitty i agree with what you said about bran's 1st chapter especially. i remember the first time i read it and as you said, i also found some sort of simple beauty to the way he described and saw things that intrigued me, and a year later i can still find it enjoyable and can evoke the same feelings i did on my first reading of it.

I was a Lit major in college and loved every minute of it, I'm sure you will too. This place is very addictive indeed. :)

Yes, I have the same reaction to Bran's chapter. I just re-read it a month or so ago and it was just as lovely to me as the first time I read it.

I think Arya does a reread, badly. You're one of the few people who attempt to subject her arc to any critical analysis, Arya_Nym. Mostly, she is viewed as the cool bad ass type who had to put up with an annoying sister in Sansa. I don't consider Arya as irretrievably damaged by any means, but there does need to be a serious discussion on Arya the character, instead of Arya the archetype, and how she fits into the larger framework of a discussion on women and gender roles within Westerosi society,

DO WANT. Arya is often looked at extremely shallowly (anyone who uses "badass" in describing her, for instance, although they're not wrong). A lot of her internal struggle throughout the books is, i feel, glanced over--people focus on what she does more than who she is.

I found this gem while rereading through Tyrion's chapter on Joff's wedding.

She was not eating, either. “Sansa, is aught amiss?” He spoke without thinking, and instantly felt the fool. All her kin are slaughtered and she’s wed to me, and I wonder what’s amiss.

“No, my lord.” She looked away from him, and feigned an unconvincing interest in Moon Boy pelting Ser Dontos with dates.

Talk about communicating at completely different wavelengths. Sansa was looking towards a savior, Tyrion thinks she's trying to change the subject.

Going back to Sansa's marriage, i have to disagree with the idea that she used her agency to prevent the bedding. She would have been "willing" to go along with Tyrion (more like too afraid to do anything else), and i think that any struggle she put up with was mostly internalized. Tyrion's kindness to her is what saved the day, not her denial of him. I think that what she told him was simply the truth--there was not a situation in a million years where Sansa could ever love Tyrion. He was trying to delude himself in the marriage, but Sansa forced him to look at the truth.

Going back to Sansa's marriage, i have to disagree with the idea that she used her agency to prevent the bedding. She would have been "willing" to go along with Tyrion (more like too afraid to do anything else), and i think that any struggle she put up with was mostly internalized. Tyrion's kindness to her is what saved the day, not her denial of him. I think that what she told him was simply the truth--there was not a situation in a million years where Sansa could ever love Tyrion. He was trying to delude himself in the marriage, but Sansa forced him to look at the truth.

i liked the bolded part, but i do think that had tyrion taken her maidenhead, it would have been like during her wedding where Sansa remarks she was crying and crying but no one either saw it due to the candles being so bright, or simply because they didn't care enough to do anythign about it.... so maybe she wouldn't have stopped tyrion but her tears would've flown anyways, forcing tyrion to in the end to realize what he did in the books anyways: she would never want him that way, but thankfully George spared us that particular event, having sansa speaking out instead of crying as the helpless maid she is thought to be at times.

I found this gem while rereading through Tyrion's chapter on Joff's wedding.

Talk about communicating at completely different wavelengths. Sansa was looking towards a savior, Tyrion thinks she's trying to change the subject.

Great catch!!

i liked the bolded part, but i do think that had tyrion taken her maidenhead, it would have been like during her wedding where Sansa remarks she was crying and crying but no one either saw it due to the candles being so bright, or simply because they didn't care enough to do anythign about it.... so maybe she wouldn't have stopped tyrion but her tears would've flown anyways, forcing tyrion to in the end to realize what he did in the books anyways: she would never want him that way, but thankfully George spared us that particular event, having sansa speaking out instead of crying as the helpless maid she is thought to be at times.

I think Sansa was willing to give him the absolute barest minimum, access to her body. However, her also conveyed through her body language her lack of desire and willingness to move forward which he picked up on and it's what he reacted too. So, he gives her that speech about waiting until she is ready and then she asks her question. To me, his reaction - as if he had been slapped, says a lot. He was not expecting that. He may have wanted a thank you or or a request to wait a bit or something, but he was not expecting her to question what would happen if she never wanted him. Then she follows it up by nodding her head no. It's a powerful moment for her indeed. She's telling him she doesn't want him and will never want him. He may force himself to have access to her body but she is going to deny him everything else. And, of course, we know from his thoughts that it is the everything else that Tyrion wants from her.

I think Sansa was willing to give him the absolute barest minimum, access to her body. However, her also conveyed through her body language her lack of desire and willingness to move forward which he picked up on and it's what he reacted too. So, he gives her that speech about waiting until she is ready and then she asks her question. To me, his reaction - as if he had been slapped, says a lot. He was not expecting that. He may have wanted a thank you or or a request to wait a bit or something, but he was not expecting her to question what would happen if she never wanted him. Then she follows it up by nodding her head no. It's a powerful moment for her indeed. She's telling him she doesn't want him and will never want him. He may force himself to have access to her body but she is going to deny him everything else. And, of course, we know from his thoughts that it is the everything else that Tyrion wants from her.

Wonderfully put. And of course it's so bitter to him that the sweet, pliant, tractable Sansa would not kneel to him, and then deny him access to everything she's hiding behind her "wall of courtesy".

DO WANT. Arya is often looked at extremely shallowly (anyone who uses "badass" in describing her, for instance, although they're not wrong). A lot of her internal struggle throughout the books is, i feel, glanced over--people focus on what she does more than who she is.

I want this too :(

Yes, I would agree there too, and I say this completely objectively of course. In my post on him, I describe Sandor's speech as a mix of the profane and the poetic. It's quite stunning and unique to him. Their scene together during the BBW is just as beautiful for me as her snow castle, although in a different way.

I think my favourite part in the whole series is when he's talking about his House's history. "the three that died in the yellow of the autumn grass..." so beautiful

true, she was unable to stop him from taking her, but her thoughts and hearts and what mattered most were protected by the very protective walls tyrion resents. but it's sooo sad to imagine that would've happened- to see her closing up to the world and stuff year after year :frown5: but you're right that tyrion didn't expect the night to take the turn it did, and it was wrong of him to think that one day things would've changed between them had things remained the way they were back then (the lannisters on the winning side and sansa their everlasting pawn).. if they ever see each other again it will be intresting to see what sansa will do know she is no longer a pawn and is in a more equal standing with him :)

Ok my lovelies, it's that time again :) Most of you will be familiar with the project that took place a couple threads ago where we analysed the influence other women have had on Sansa's development and experiences. Some of the analyses leant themselves to a strictly compare and contrast discussion, whereas others delved into questions relating to agency, empowerment, sexuality and love. We are now hoping to do the same for the male characters who have had direct influence in Sansa's life, or who have relevance to her storyline in some form or fashion. Basically, the aim is to do a short (or ridiculously long, no complaints from me) analysis on each male figure, concentrating overall on the interactions shared, what life lessons they may have imparted, how they've contributed to Sansa's growth, and any other goodies (foreshadowing, symbolism, etc) you would like to talk about. As we've seen with the earlier look at the women, these kinds of structured discussions can be very beneficial in helping to expand our appreciation on the particular relevance of characters, the role they have played/continue to play in Sansa's arc, and the overall question of gender roles and patriarchal power in Westeros. Given that Sansa is one of the most "shipped" characters in the fandom, it's clear that many readers view the presence of men in her life as fulfilling one main purpose; however, I'd like to open up these narrow visions, and really get into nitty gritty analysis of greater importance represented by these characters, along with considerations of how Sansa can interact with them outside of the traditional focus on marriage bait.

The recent post done by Pod the Impaler upthread is a nice example of an analysis that offers considerable food for thought, and perhaps Pod might be willing to expand on what he wrote above with a more intensive look at LF and Willas Tyrell? (No pressure Pod) :P

Here are the list of men we will be examining:

Ned (Lady Candace)

Jon (tze)

Robb

Loras

Joffrey

Sandor (Lord Bronn Stokeworth)

Tyrion

Littlefinger (Pod the Impaler)

Jaime (kittykatknits)

Willas

Lothor (Caro99)

Marillion (Ragnorak)

Sweetrobin (KRBD)

Dontos (Elba the Intoner)

Bran&Rickon

If you are interested in doing an analysis, please contact me via PM, or I'll contact you :devil: I'll update this post to reflect who's doing what. I must admit that I'm particularly interested in getting some male perspectives on these characters, so gents who frequent the thread, feel free to step up to the plate ;) There's no set deadline really. I'd say that from the time your contribution is confirmed, you can take up to a week to present your post, and longer if need be.

P.S. Let me know if there's another male character you guys feel should be on the list. Thanks!

I think that's the problem--Sansa doesn't really "speak out" against Tyrion's advances. Sansa is repulsed, terrified, and horrified by what he is and what is happening to her, but she's too scared to speak her mind. Sansa doesn't say anything along they lines of "no" until after Tyrion already gives her an out, and she capitalizes on it immediately. Sansa's body language if what gave her away, and fortunately Tyrion was a good enough and implusive enough person to refuse to continue.

I've been thinking about this since I first read it and I really disagree.There is more than one way to be heroic, you don't need swords or magic. I admire Sansa for her strong sense of self, she never lost sense of identity or who she was, even when a name was forced on her. I'm in awe of the fact that she managed to not only keep but further develop her sense of empathy and compassion. It's an incredibly rare trait in ASOIAF and Sansa consistently employs both with nothing to gain.I can't speak for the rest of the world, but IMO, America is not a particularly empathetic country so I enjoy reading about a heroine who makes this character trait a strength. Sansa also possesses amazing self-discipline, she kept up her courtesy armor and used it as both a shield and weapon the entire time she was in KL. If you think about it a moment, Sansa was literally playing a part on acting for every single moment. I don't think most adults could do this, including myself.

Personally, I think it's rather disappointing that these aspects of Sansa are not more culturally accepted as being heroic or admirable. Instead, for some reason, we choose to dismiss it as "passive".

:agree: :agree:

This is perfect!

Ok my lovelies, it's that time again :) Most of you will be familiar with the project that took place a couple threads ago where we analysed the influence other women have had on Sansa's development and experiences. Some of the analyses leant themselves to a strictly compare and contrast discussion, whereas others delved into questions relating to agency, empowerment, sexuality and love. We are now hoping to do the same for the male characters who have had direct influence in Sansa's life, or who have relevance to her storyline in some form or fashion. Basically, the aim is to do a short (or ridiculously long, no complaints from me) analysis on each male figure, concentrating overall on the interactions shared, what life lessons they may have imparted, how they've contributed to Sansa's growth, and any other goodies (foreshadowing, symbolism, etc) you would like to talk about. As we've seen with the earlier look at the women, these kinds of structured discussions can be very beneficial in helping to expand our appreciation on the particular relevance of characters, the role they have played/continue to play in Sansa's arc, and the overall question of gender roles and patriarchal power in Westeros. Given that Sansa is one of the most "shipped" characters in the fandom, it's clear that many readers view the presence of men in her life as fulfilling one main purpose; however, I'd like to open up these narrow visions, and really get into nitty gritty analysis of greater importance represented by these characters, along with considerations of how Sansa can interact with them outside of the traditional focus on marriage bait.

The recent post done by Pod the Impaler upthread is a nice example of an analysis that offers considerable food for thought, and perhaps Pod might be willing to expand on what he wrote above with a more intensive look at LF and Willas Tyrell? (No pressure Pod) :P

Here are the list of men we will be examining:

Ned

Jon

Robb

Loras

Joffrey

Sandor

Tyrion

Littlefinger

Jaime (kittykatknits)

Willas

Lothor

Marillion (Ragnorak)

Sweetrobin

If you are interested in doing an analysis, please contact me via PM, or I'll contact you :devil: I'll update this post to reflect who's doing what. I must admit that I'm particularly interested in getting some male perspectives on these characters, so gents who frequent the thread, feel free to step up to the plate ;) There's no set deadline really. I'd say that from the time your contribution is confirmed, you can take up to a week to present your post, and longer if need be.

P.S. Let me know if there's another male character you guys feel should be on the list. Thanks!

How about Dontos?

Despite her unwillingness to follow her gender role, I see it not being as big of influence on her Arc say Sansa or even most of the female POV characters. I see her role mainly dealing with revenge and forgiveness. Sandor after the Red Wedding was a big part of that. Despite the fact that they are almost certainly more nefarious than seem to be, the Faceless Men are playing a part in it too. I still see her being a warrior at the end of the novels, but one not motivated by hatred and vengeance.

Don't get me wrong. It's still there. But I see Arya's gender as irrelevant to her main story.

As I've said previously some may not think that she's damaged or psychotic but she is the one who gets this type of critique as opposed to male characters.

I want to point out, the "broken child soldier" bit could be because POV rather than gender. When we meet Sandor, he is already a badass. But we watch Arya go from a happy noble girl (even if she is a tomboy) to a "badass." But it's different because we were there to watch the horrible events which is entirely different than hearing a story about what happened. Gender may have something to do with it for some, but for others it is likely the POV and witnessing the change.

For the record, I don't see her as a "broken child soldier." I actually put her in the badass category. She definitely has her share of problems, but that doesn't stop one from being a badass (and besides, who in ASOIAF isn't damaged). Of course, like I said, I believe (hope) her arc will make her more of the noble type of badass than anti-hero type.

*whistles innocently*

I might be interested. Could I get some links so I could have a sort of idea of what is being looked for?

EDIT: Feel free to PM me.

Archived